PC Parts on line

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade the RAM in my PC, I have been told it is fairly straight forward to do.

I am looking to buy some RAM online and would like to know if anyone deals with a company they have found reliable.

Found a couple via Google, Ram City and ExpressPCParts, both read OK and appear to have been around a while but if anyone uses someone else please add a comment.

You can PM me if you don't want to go public.

thanks

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade the RAM in my PC, I have been told it is fairly straight forward to do

It's sort of straight forward but if you haven't done this before I don't advise it because it's easy to damage the memory or the mainboard.
The best option IMO is to walk into your local PC shop and get them to upgrade it while you wait.

That way any RAM compatibility issues will be sorted out and you won't risk damaging the memory or your mainboard.

If you still want to go the DIY option, find out the model No of your motherboard and look in the installation manual to see what memory size you can install because the memory slots are often very specific in the memory size and type they'll support.
You should also be aware that the new memory may of may not work together with your existing one so go for the good brand memory that way it's less likely to run into compatibility issues between old and new.

There are a few INTL memory dealers online but I'd avoid them because they usually don't take memory back and shiping them back can be an issue.
Look on ebay for the correct memory type and size and when you find an Oz computer shop you can ask them if the memory will work on your motherboard and if you can return it if it doesn't.

I've returned RAM before but I had to pay the 2 way postage.
Ofcourse you won't get a refund when you return it damaged.

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade the RAM in my PC, I have been told it is fairly straight forward to do.

I've bought from several places with no issues.

You MUST know the type of RAM you are after - ie. DDR2 or DDR3, and obviously for laptop or desktop. Knowing if your processor can handle high speed ram will also help.

If unsure, as BV says, fire off an email to the vendor with your mother board make/model and they will advise.

Also let them know the OS you are using. (i.e. XP, Vista, 7 etc)

The Y-man

Back