Peeling paint problems!! Help!!

Appreciate any advice here from those of you who are better painters than I!!

My IP has badly flaking paint coming off the cornices, ceilings and window frames only, not the walls. It is fairly obvious and I would like to get it properly painted but don't want to do the wrong thing.
It can't just be age, as the flaking is consistent (everywhere!) Does this mean that it has been painted with the wrong paint in the first place? I don't really fancy stripping the lot off and starting again. Could I simply sand it and apply some primer so that it doesn't occur again?
Any tips from seasoned renovators much appreciated.
Thanks, Jacque :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Jacque -

Ditto for me - I am having quite a problem with window sills (wooden), thought it may have been water seeping in, however the tenants say that they have never noticed a water problem as they have various trinkets on the sill and they seem ok.

pj

Reply: 1.1

Jacque,

It could be coat of Acrylic over an Oil paint, or something similar.

Serge.

Reply: 1.2

Hi,

How old is the property?? It maybe calcamine paint or similar and you will need to use 'bind back' which is a penetrating coating which will help stick the substrate to the paint. Solution = scrape loose paint off, sand then seal(bind back or similar) and then paint again.

The other problem window frames peeling etc, may be acrylics painted over enamels. Always use same with same or a suitable undercoat when changing paint types. Solution = scrape, sand, suitable undercoat then paint of choice (suited to undercoat of course).

Your local paint store will advise also.

regards,

Michael Croft

Reply: 1.2.1.1

Thanks Michael and Serge -

My property is less that a year old so I now strongly suspect it will be dissimilar paint, "grumble"!

- pj

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1

Phillip

If the dwelling is only one year old then is it not covered by a builders warranty?

Here in WA we have a 6 year warranty period on new constructions. If your paint is falling off then it's about time those responsible did something about it.

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1

Bruce -

Here in Vic it's 7 years and yes it's a warranty job - just like the oven that didn't work - just like the automatic garage door that didn't work - just like the intercom that didn't work - just like ... when the tenant moved in and the gas hot plate didn't work... "has anybody seen the gas meter"? Gas meter installed a week later - do you smell gas? I smell gas - we all smell gas - gas leak located behind brick wall - gas leak fixed - brick wall rebuilt - plaster replastered - painter repainted. Painter came back week later to use correct shade!

I was lead to believe that when the Certificate of Occupancy was produced by the builder that it was to be treated similar to a road worthy certificate for a car - everything has been checked and operational. HA! What a fool I was - I called the builder and asked for him to supply 300 copies of the certificate of occupancy as its only possible usefullness is for toilet paper!

Boy, did I have a lot to learn and did I learn - you bet!

So now I strongly suspect that the incorrect base paint has been used on the window sills.

pj

Back