Pending forum outage tonight

Sim

Administrator
Our VPS hosting provider has just doubled the amount of RAM available on our VPS instances for free, we are currently in the queue waiting for the upgrades.

This is a very nice upgrade, since it allows us to dedicate more memory to caching, which will dramatically speed up the performance of the site.

I can't predict exactly when the forum will be offline and for how long - we are currently approx #350 in the queue waiting for the upgrade and once it starts it will take around an hour or so to complete.

I'll try and keep everyone updated as to where we are in the queue.

Also keep an eye on the Somersoft Twitter, Facebook or Google Plus accounts for updates:

Good to see a host passing on the savings resulting from the exponential growth of computing technology.

Indeed - quite counter-intuitive that they were able to spend millions of dollars on upgrading their entire infrastructure (network and servers) and then pass on savings to their clients by essentially doubling the capabilities of their servers for the same price (4 cores to 8 cores, double RAM, 5x outband network bandwidth and 10x outbound data transfer, plus 20% extra storage).

Upgrade comes at just the right time too - my database server has recently exceeded the ideal memory usage and I was facing a costly upgrade to keep performance at good levels. This new doubling of memory for the same price gives me the upgrade for free and plenty of headroom for future growth - nice.

essentially doubling the capabilities of their servers for the same price (4 cores to 8 cores, double RAM, 5x outband network bandwidth and 10x outbound data transfer, plus 20% extra storage).... plenty of headroom for future growth - nice.

OK, so doubling stuff gives good headroom.

Indeed - quite counter-intuitive that they were able to spend millions of dollars on upgrading their entire infrastructure (network and servers) and then pass on savings to their clients by essentially doubling the capabilities of their servers for the same price (4 cores to 8 cores, double RAM, 5x outband network bandwidth and 10x outbound data transfer, plus 20% extra storage).

Upgrade comes at just the right time too - my database server has recently exceeded the ideal memory usage and I was facing a costly upgrade to keep performance at good levels. This new doubling of memory for the same price gives me the upgrade for free and plenty of headroom for future growth - nice.

It sounds like you got a boner over that :)

Reddit is a great time-sink

I enjoyed this thread with 43,347 posts and 35,985 up votes which became the #3 post of all time on Reddit. The post with the highest amount of up votes is also property related..

What's your secret that could literally ruin your life if it came out?

Two and a half years ago I was in dire financial straights, so I sold my home to keep my struggling business afloat. I neglected to tell the owners that they have an 800 sq. ft. bunker on the property that I built about seven years ago. The bunker that I've called home since I sold it. The entrance to it is well-hidden, but I still come and go very early/very late in the day. I'm a single man who keeps to himself. I'm now in a situation where I could move somewhere else, but I love this hidden paradise so much.

Upgrade completed successfully, took around 3 hours all up to move two servers.

Might take a couple of days to get the tuning right for the new memory available - so there might be the occasional brief outage while I restart various applications after adjusting settings.

I'm not sure if it is the upgrade or my imagination or internet speed or school holidays, but the forum seems faster.

Indeed - quite counter-intuitive that they were able to spend millions of dollars on upgrading their entire infrastructure (network and servers) and then pass on savings to their clients by essentially doubling the capabilities of their servers for the same price.

I guess the hosting provider is trying to keep itself competitive against Amazon AWS? I can see more and more companies are moving their servers/applications from varied hosting providers to them...

Back