Peoples thoughts on Adelaide?

I just bought a 3x1x1 in Mitchell Park. Would you say that clump of suburbs is better CG and demographic wise than the likes of Kilburn, Enfield, Clearview etc if one could get in at a similar price point?

Burnside PS is the way to go. Best 4 years of my school life. :p

The Chinese buyers will choose a private secondary school, so probably doesn't matter what the HS zoning is.

That can't be true, otherwise the areas immediately surrounding the schools wouldn't be hotly contested?

I just bought a 3x1x1 in Mitchell Park. Would you say that clump of suburbs is better CG and demographic wise than the likes of Kilburn, Enfield, Clearview etc if one could get in at a similar price point?

Demographics maybe. But distance to city is almost twice as far. Doubt that cg will outdo Kilburn Enfield etc imo.

I don't really think mitchell park is comparable to those.

Kilburn, Enfield are quite ethnic :)

Demographics maybe. But distance to city is almost twice as far. Doubt that cg will outdo Kilburn Enfield etc imo.

Damn now you tell me.

I sensed the likes of Blair Athol and Kilburn were starting to grow fairly rapidly in last few months and focussed elsewhere. Also bought into the consensus that the South, inner East and SW were the most desirable to live given proximity to city, airport and Glenelg. Time will tell I guess.

Burnside PS is the way to go. Best 4 years of my school life. :p

The Chinese buyers will choose a private secondary school, so probably doesn't matter what the HS zoning is.

Based on NAPLAN scores, Linden Park comes out better. But hey, everyone has their favorites.

You can't be more wrong. Do you know anyone in GIHS? Well, my cousin is studying there now and I can tell you there is a significant Asian population. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but he told me for his cohort it's more than half.

You won't find that kind of proprtion in St Peters or PAC.

From which beautiful corners of the globe?

Blair Athol has a large indian demographic, Kilburn has a large Middle Eastern community. You can tell both easily with the increasing number of stores catering to the local populations needs.

Enfield too has a similar mix, which I find a lot of younger asian first home buyers are finding desirable.

Think I'll stick to the south - I tend to stay away from (any) ghettos irrespective of race, religion or creed. A balanced demographic, and more affluent folks moving through bodes better in the LT for CG IMHO.

If I could cram more acronyms in that sentence i would have :)

Kilburn, Blair Athol & Enfield are far from 'ghettos'. Great places to buy in the last 3 years and getting better. These areas will continue to improve with gentrification happening, street are starting to become a buzz with middle eastern cafes and restuarants.

Afghan food is awesome, can't get enough of it.

Back in the day,these areas were dives for housing trust clientele,no one wanted to know,don't things change...............................:eek:

Mitchell Park was even worse back in the day:D
Now it's a nice place to live.
I think it was on SS that someone even mentioned Kensington being a dodgy place back in the day. Now it's a leafy suburb in the eastern suburbs. Same with Brompton and all that.

I prefer the Mitchell Park region to the Blair Athol region but I'm biased because I grew up around Clovelly Park.

Back in the day,these areas were dives for housing trust clientele,no one wanted to know,don't things change...............................:eek:

These area's will continue to change. They now are very in demand from different groups. The large ugly houses are going and nice new houses popping up. Pretty much like most of Adelaide <15km from CBD.

I think it was on SS that someone even mentioned Kensington being a dodgy place back in the day. Now it's a leafy suburb in the eastern suburbs. Same with Brompton and all that.

Funny area's like Tranmere / Rostrevor used to be bad suburbs as well.

Lot of doomsayers saying ADL has brain drain, manufacturing going the way of the dodo, trend of emigration and won't grow for years etc.

Hopefully that prediction won't come true. Am aiming to hold for the LT but I've seen houses selling now that sold for nearly the same amount 5 years ago ie bugger all growth.

Hopefully that prediction won't come true. Am aiming to hold for the LT but I've seen houses selling now that sold for nearly the same amount 5 years ago ie bugger all growth.

Yep. Some of my purchases have been for less than the vendor originally paid. I consider that a good thing, proves that we're at the bottom of the cycle and it's only up from here :)

Money is like water, always filling the lowest possible points. Yield will always be followed.

As I have only been following real estate the last 6 months with interest I am interested in the history of adelaide. What triggered the last 'boom' in adelaide? In particular north of the city? Did it just 'lag' or 'follow' behind the rest of the country?

Just for example my childhood home in modbury heights was bought in the mid 90's for just over 100k and sold last year for 415k, by the sounds of it 75% of that growth would have been in the first 10 years with bugger all in the following decade. I have a basic understanding of the property cycle in general, but it does not seem to fit in with Radelaide, maybe a more slow sustained growth cycle is what occurs here? Interested in peoples opinions

I've attached the AAGR for Adelaide since the mid 90s which should give you an idea of the cycles and where we are currently. In my opinion growth is rolling over, my expectation is one more dip lower (potentially to negative growth again or just to a low level of growth) into 2016/2017 which is when the worst of the car manufacturing will hit the state. Also we have some major infrastructure projects finishing around the same time (such as the new Royal Adelaide Hospital), others have been thrown into question... South Australia's unemployment has been trending higher and I expect it to peak around the same time, 2016/2017.

So personally am holding out to try and catch the next cycle low in the next couple of years. Of course I could be wrong, we could see low interest rates turn prices back higher again, this is arguably what happened around the 2000/2001 period (but there were other influencing factors too such as introduction of the FHOG, introduction of 50% CGT discount, etc).

Attachments

• Adelaide.png
    Adelaide.png
    35 KB · Views: 133
Back