Peoples thoughts on Adelaide?

Herron Todd White publication this month had some good info on vacant land values holding up well in the Southern suburbs:

"in the outer southern suburbs, land around
the Seaford and Aldinga areas has seen increasing
demand over the past two years, probably in the
order of 10%. This can be directly attributed to
two major infrastructure projects that are now
completed. Firstly the duplication of the Southern
Expressway which has noticeably improved travel
times to the area and secondly the extension (and
to a lesser extent the electrification) of the train
line from Noarlunga to Seaford has improved public
transport accessibility. These suburbs are also
located close to the southern beaches.
As an example over the past three years land prices
in Seaford Meadows have increased by approximately
15% with a 300 square metre site increasing from
$125,000 to $130,000 back in 2012 to approximately
$150,000 to $160,000 today."

I've got a property on Whaler Road in Seaford which I purchased several years ago before those infrastructure initiatives came to fruition. I've noticed a definite price appreciation in the market over the last 12-18 months for those particular reasons Erica.....

IMHO I think it's got some real legs and we'll continue to see CG in that area.

500k in Adelaide gets you into a multitude of suburbs, be more specific :p

Literally don't mind on location as long as it's a good buy with lots of potential for either sub dividing or capt growth. I do recon Plympton and near there are going to do well in the mid term for growth.

South Australia left behind as housing boom ignites

As new home approvals surge across Australia, South Australia's biggest home builder, Hickinbotham Homes, has warned the beleaguered state is facing a sharp drop in building activity.

On the east coast, the negative economic impact of the dwindling mining boom is being offset by a red hot housing market, particularly in NSW, that has seen the nation's biggest brick maker Brickworks scrambling to bring on new plants to meet demand.

But Hickinbotham Homes managing director Michael Hickinbotham said South Australia is missing out on the action.

"The South Australian housing market is currently experiencing a very severe downturn, with a significant number of building companies having closed their doors over the last 18 months," he told The Australian Financial Review.

"There are rumours that some large interstate companies may be scaling down or leaving the state."

An anaemic housing market adds to the woes facing SA Premier Jay Weatherill.

Already struggling

South Australia is already struggling with the highest unemployment of any state, the exit of car manufacturing and uncertainty over the future of the state's ship building industry.

Housing Industry Association chief economist Harley Dale said the weakening state economy is taking housing down with it. "The unfortunate reality in the here and now is that the SA economy is weak and the new home building sector is weakening quite considerably," he said.

"We could be in for a 10 to 15 per cent fall in new home building activity that could take us back to some of the lowest levels we've seen in the last 15 years ? we are building record numbers of homes in Australia at the moment ? but it is quite a divergent profile for South Australia."

The possibility of a sharp drop in building raises questions about the demand for building materials and could affect sales for companies such as ASX-listed Adelaide Brighton.

In February Adelaide Brighton reported record full-year revenue of $1.34 billion. The company said it expects reduced cement sales in South Australia in 2015, but that these declines would be "offset by new contracts and improving demand".

Adelaide Brighton chief executive Martin Brydon agreed the state is under pressure, but said residential housing "looks OK".

Tough gig

"The government there has a tough gig, but while the economy is going to find it rough, with manufacturing of cars and submarines coming out, the impact on cement is not that great," he said.

"We've got activity coming off in South Australia. We think pre-mixed concrete will be down about 6 per cent on the prior year ? but I think our products will not be off materially."

Mr Brydon said that South Australia is not a big market, taking about 800,000 tonnes of cement. Approximately 30 per cent of Adelaide Brighton's exposure in the state is to residential building.

Listed peer Boral singled out "challenging conditions" and "muted demand" in South Australia at its half-year result in February. Earnings from the group's building products division more than doubled to $14 million in the half.

Mr Hickinbotham said there is some "light on the horizon" following the Weatherill government's recent move to stimulate the industry and state economy by engaging the private sector to redevelop tracts of housing trust stock in inner-city areas.

About 4500 housing trust homes will be made available for redevelopment over the next five years.

"The industry has welcomed this announcement," Mr Hickinbotham said.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/p...-as-housing-boom-ignites-20150409-1mh9g0.html

Bentley all of your posts are just copy and pastes of articles, couldn't you just put a link instead? Do you ever come up with your own opinions?

Bentley all of your posts are just copy and pastes of articles, couldn't you just put a link instead? Do you ever come up with your own opinions?

DT,

The reason I copy and paste the full article is simply because links may expire in future, and there is no way to go back and read the articles for those newly joined members or even existing members who want to go back to validate or disapprove a claim written in the article months or years later.

This is a public forum and a thread on Adelaide. If you don't like reading my copy and paste news articles on Adelaide, you are free to report me or block all my future posts.

With regards to my own opinions, I'm generally only interested in the Eastern suburbs and my posts are focussed there. Whilst you might be a strong advocate of people investing in Elizabeth and its surrounds, I do the opposite.

Well, after all we all can agree to disagree.

Bentley, would be useful if you could at least put the article (in whole or part) in between quote tags when posting so as to differentiate from user written content :)

As new home approvals surge across Australia, South Australia's biggest home builder, Hickinbotham Homes, has warned the beleaguered state is facing a sharp drop in building activity.

On the east coast, the negative economic impact of the dwindling mining boom is being offset by a red hot housing market, particularly in NSW, that has seen the nation's biggest brick maker Brickworks scrambling to bring on new plants to meet demand.

But Hickinbotham Homes managing director Michael Hickinbotham said South Australia is missing out on the action.

"The South Australian housing market is currently experiencing a very severe downturn, with a significant number of building companies having closed their doors over the last 18 months," he told The Australian Financial Review.

"There are rumours that some large interstate companies may be scaling down or leaving the state."

An anaemic housing market adds to the woes facing SA Premier Jay Weatherill.

Already struggling

South Australia is already struggling with the highest unemployment of any state, the exit of car manufacturing and uncertainty over the future of the state's ship building industry.

Housing Industry Association chief economist Harley Dale said the weakening state economy is taking housing down with it. "The unfortunate reality in the here and now is that the SA economy is weak and the new home building sector is weakening quite considerably," he said.

"We could be in for a 10 to 15 per cent fall in new home building activity that could take us back to some of the lowest levels we've seen in the last 15 years ? we are building record numbers of homes in Australia at the moment ? but it is quite a divergent profile for South Australia."

The possibility of a sharp drop in building raises questions about the demand for building materials and could affect sales for companies such as ASX-listed Adelaide Brighton.

In February Adelaide Brighton reported record full-year revenue of $1.34 billion. The company said it expects reduced cement sales in South Australia in 2015, but that these declines would be "offset by new contracts and improving demand".

Adelaide Brighton chief executive Martin Brydon agreed the state is under pressure, but said residential housing "looks OK".

Tough gig

"The government there has a tough gig, but while the economy is going to find it rough, with manufacturing of cars and submarines coming out, the impact on cement is not that great," he said.

"We've got activity coming off in South Australia. We think pre-mixed concrete will be down about 6 per cent on the prior year ? but I think our products will not be off materially."

Mr Brydon said that South Australia is not a big market, taking about 800,000 tonnes of cement. Approximately 30 per cent of Adelaide Brighton's exposure in the state is to residential building.

Listed peer Boral singled out "challenging conditions" and "muted demand" in South Australia at its half-year result in February. Earnings from the group's building products division more than doubled to $14 million in the half.

Mr Hickinbotham said there is some "light on the horizon" following the Weatherill government's recent move to stimulate the industry and state economy by engaging the private sector to redevelop tracts of housing trust stock in inner-city areas.

About 4500 housing trust homes will be made available for redevelopment over the next five years.

"The industry has welcomed this announcement," Mr Hickinbotham said.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/p...-as-housing-boom-ignites-20150409-1mh9g0.html

This actually cheers me up.

As I understand it- Adelaide currently does NOT have a dwelling supply shortage. So reduced dwelling production now, I hope, will lead to increased demand in the future. Thus an increase in values.

I think the last population figures I read said something along the lines of ; SA's population increases by about 15,000 persons per annum, and we have been building about 8,000 new dewllings per annum. So an extra dwelling for every extra 2 persons does not a undersupply make - unlike Sydney at the moment.

DT,

The reason I copy and paste the full article is simply because links may expire in future, and there is no way to go back and read the articles for those newly joined members or even existing members who want to go back to validate or disapprove a claim written in the article months or years later.

This is a public forum and a thread on Adelaide. If you don't like reading my copy and paste news articles on Adelaide, you are free to report me or block all my future posts.

With regards to my own opinions, I'm generally only interested in the Eastern suburbs and my posts are focussed there. Whilst you might be a strong advocate of people investing in Elizabeth and its surrounds, I do the opposite.

Well, after all we all can agree to disagree.

Sorry I didnt mean to come across that way.

Also, I'm not necessary a strong advocate of people buying in Eliz and surrounds, just that it seems to suit quite a few peoples strategies. Friends, colleagues etc have properties all over Adelaide metro so I do follow all areas.

Sorry I didnt mean to come across that way.

Also, I'm not necessary a strong advocate of people buying in Eliz and surrounds, just that it seems to suit quite a few peoples strategies. Friends, colleagues etc have properties all over Adelaide metro so I do follow all areas.

No worries mate. All's good :D

Was doing my usual Saturday routine... going for open inspections. Visited this property for its 1st open inspection. For those who remember, this property is just few door down 61 Sydney St (the property which went for auction with a Chinese interpreter) which I had posted about last month. Post #452 My guess is the owners (who happen to be locals) are looking to cash out with the influx of China buyers looking to buy in that blue chip school zone area.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-glenside-119474679

The inspection was from 215pm and I got there at 225pm. Couldn't find a park as the roads were chockers with so many cars. When I went into the property, Guess what? all the brochures had run out! They told me they printed more than 100 brochures and it all ran out within 10mins! The property was filled with people walking around.

Another 1st for me... They even had the domain van outside to give out free coffee and slushies (good idea considering the warm weather and I enjoyed it!)

The agent told me it was a promotional event done by Domain to market their website.

2557_domain_van.jpg

PS: My humble prediction is the property will sell for close to $700K or possibly even more than that. Most likely a Chinese buyer. There's no way they are going to sell for $595K! In that case, can the agent be reported for under quoting?

I bought a very well priced house in Southern Adelaide this week.

Needs lots of work, but has good potential. Will be spending May renovating :)

Back