Peoples thoughts on Adelaide?

One of the things I've wondered about for the North is what will happen when the Holden factory closes. This employs a lot of people who live in the Northern suburbs and also pays relatively well. Will this have a major influence on rental yields if a large proportions of residence salaries decrease? Or will it have the effect of home owners having to sell up as they can't afford their mortgages meaning some properties being sold below market value and then subsequently putting pressure on rental markets when these people need alternative accommodation.
Perhaps it will cause nothing to happen? Are there any other examples of larger industries closing their doors and this causing ripples in the property market?

You have to be careful of media spin. Holdens now employs less than 1100 workers, there was over triple this amount in 2006. Most follow on supporting industries have already been cut off from OS importation of parts, what remains have been given strong notice of the future of their contracts. I know of a number of parts suppliers which have been diversifying their contract stream for the last 5 years and are not reliant upon Holdens for their viability.

Meanwhile there is the increasing ramp up of employment within the nearby Edinburgh business park, which employs multiples of the numbers of Holden related jobs in both large private companies, listed asx20 companies and defense industries.

I've never had a Holden employee for a tenant, whereas I have and do have Holden clients + family members, none of which live in the surrounding areas - as you've said, the wages are generally decent - so generally you buy they buy the nice house, nice car, OS holidays etc. Payout figures for those staff leaving will generally pay out their mortgages in their entirety. ;)

It's been a politically football to kick around for decades, I'll be glad when it's finalised closed once and for all, ready for SA to look at growing sustainable industries, not keeping dying ones on life support.

I am a property manager in Adelaide's south and for what is worth I am finding there is a huge demand for properties $280-$340pw 3 & 4 bedroom homes. I can't keep up with tenant demand, if I had more properties available I could offer pre-tenancy screening & have houses tenanted with out need for advertising.

I am a property manager in Adelaide's south and for what is worth I am finding there is a huge demand for properties $280-$340pw 3 & 4 bedroom homes. I can't keep up with tenant demand, if I had more properties available I could offer pre-tenancy screening & have houses tenanted with out need for advertising.

Baiting for clients with your very first post? Classy.

Just stating a fact, based on my experience of the southern suburbs.
With the train line now at Seaford and the duplication of the southern expressway near completion, quality houses along the coast (~10km in land) are in demand.
Suburbs include Hallett Cove to Aldinga Beach, Happy Valley/ Woodcroft to McLaren Vale/Willunga.

What sort of numbers are you seeing in terms of vacancy rate and turnover times?

Haven't heard any media spin about this affecting property prices, I was just wondering what effect it will have, if any.

You have to be careful of media spin. Holdens now employs less than 1100 workers, there was over triple this amount in 2006. Most follow on supporting industries have already been cut off from OS importation of parts, what remains have been given strong notice of the future of their contracts. I know of a number of parts suppliers which have been diversifying their contract stream for the last 5 years and are not reliant upon Holdens for their viability.

Meanwhile there is the increasing ramp up of employment within the nearby Edinburgh business park, which employs multiples of the numbers of Holden related jobs in both large private companies, listed asx20 companies and defense industries.

I've never had a Holden employee for a tenant, whereas I have and do have Holden clients + family members, none of which live in the surrounding areas - as you've said, the wages are generally decent - so generally you buy they buy the nice house, nice car, OS holidays etc. Payout figures for those staff leaving will generally pay out their mortgages in their entirety. ;)

It's been a politically football to kick around for decades, I'll be glad when it's finalised closed once and for all, ready for SA to look at growing sustainable industries, not keeping dying ones on life support.

Haven't heard any media spin about this affecting property prices, I was just wondering what effect it will have, if any.

Doubt it will be any effect, especially longer term.
Employment/unemployment in the area mostly unaffected as the majority of staff don't work in the surrounding suburbs.
Employees have transferable skills to find work elsewhere and are getting large payouts and retiring and / or going into different fields of work.
Also, theres something like 1000 Holden employees left, out of the 1.2mil employees in Adelaide, it's a bit of an ocean drop, so to speak.

Have agreed with you many times on this topic.

Client/friend of mine recently made redundant, he's company did work with Holdens. He knew the day was coming, only waited around for a payout. Received lump payout last Friday week, the next Tuesday had a job interview. Started new job today. Slightly lower pay but with more potential as larger company.

Have agreed with you many times on this topic.

Client/friend of mine recently made redundant, he's company did work with Holdens. He knew the day was coming, only waited around for a payout. Received lump payout last Friday week, the next Tuesday had a job interview. Started new job today. Slightly lower pay but with more potential as larger company.

He would be one of the lucky ones. Its not just Holden having an impact in the area. SA unemployment now higher than TAS at 7.4%, and in the Elizabeth-Playford area a staggering 21.4% Anyone who thinks this sort of unemployment trend in the Elizabeth area wont have a negative impact on property growth should think again.

Source for figures, todays artlcle:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...employment-crown/story-fni6uo1m-1226984210798

He would be one of the lucky ones. Its not just Holden having an impact in the area. SA unemployment now higher than TAS at 7.4%, and in the Elizabeth-Playford area a staggering 21.4% Anyone who thinks this sort of unemployment trend in the Elizabeth area wont have a negative impact on property growth should think again.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...employment-crown/story-fni6uo1m-1226984210798

How is he one of the lucky ones? My cousin's husband works at the plant and has a similar scenario and says most of his mates are doing the same. The longer you stay on the bigger payout you get, and they're going to have their mortgage paid out, reducing monetary stress a lot.

Unemployment has been 15-20% in Elizabeth for decades. There are generations of family's that have grown up around Elizabeth's suburbs that have never worked. They still need somewhere to live and rent

Unemployment has been 15-20% in Elizabeth for decades. There are generations of family's that have grown up around Elizabeth's suburbs that have never worked. They still need somewhere to live and rent

The trend is edging higher is my point, now well above 20%. Of course we all need a place to live (own or rent), but the circumstances will surely not help yields or capital growth.

Rents are not dropping in Elizabeth and surrounding suburbs. And even if prices dont rise much the next 5 - 10 years the yields of these property's will make up for it.

Actually you would find this happens with most of them. They know it's coming, start talking to other employers and line things up. They just wait for the day get the payout, reduce debt and move on.

As stated has always been high unemployment in the area, tenants can be unemployed and still pay the rent.

My vote is keep the Elizabeth comments in the Elizabeth thread.

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76530&page=54

Not sure how it is on ground level for everyone else in Adelaide in the property/finance industry, but has been the craziest two months.

Very interested to see if market stays busy through winter and into spring. Last winter many agents were telling me they couldn't get enough listings as would sell what they had.

Anyone watch YourMoneyYourCall last night?

Didn't watch all of it... Peter Koulizos mentioned that Adelaide has best growth in the last 6months. Wanted to look at some data around this.

Back