Peoples thoughts on Adelaide?

I guess apart from the place getting trashed my only worry is the govt are practically giving away land in playford so wondering when if capital growth will happen ? The rental returns are good .

Exactly. Adelaide is pretty meh, has been for a long time. Better places to be spending your money tbh.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-rostrevor-117699851

$450k 723sqm existing house can be rented. Already has council approval for 2 two story homes. Good suburb in the Norwood Morialta school zone. A lot of the houses like this are getting knocked down and beautiful new homes built. Great buying, I'm not in the market right now... But would be worth a close looks for those that are.

Thanks for sharing Brady. I am looking at the moment, budget around this mark actually. Would like to get into the developing side of things soon, but think I need to build up some cash first. Went to this auction today hoping it might go cheap as its half reno'd firesale ... not so, think the guy who bought it was a builder

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-broadview-117579863

392K in the end, place needed a fair bit of cash spent on it, had some approved plans for extension as well, wasnt too confident I could make a $ out of it at that price

This one looks like great value. From the 'no offers before inspection' I expect it's under priced as bait to get more people in for larger offers.

Previously sold for $350,000 in March 09 and currently RP Data's Estimate Auto Val puts it at $410,000.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and would like opinions on what to do.

I am looking to buy a ppor in Adelaide, and depending on how we go, maybe convert to an IP in the future. I'm looking at freestanding houses - no strata, big land size for future development.

I'm not sure which is a better option, buying in:
north east - Modbury north/heights ($350k-380k fully renovated); or
eastern suburbs ($450k -470k often unrenovated)

If we go for the second option, we'd need to spend extra to renovate not to mention the extra effort.

Should I extend myself and go for the eastern suburbs? Should be able to afford the repayments with dual income, but partner thinks we may be stretching too far. I'm leaning towards eastern for the good school zones, thus not needing to move in the future. Which do you think would give better growth?

You can get a pretty good house for $380k in Modbury area.

$450k puts you in the Tranmere/Rostrevor bracket, likely 1 bathroom and unrenovated if you're still going for decent size block.

Or could get you something inbetween in paradise, campbelltown, Athelstone, Dernacourt which gets you Charles Campbell

But being in the right school zone can play a big factor.

Being PPOR makes it a whole lot harder, I think you will be able to get some feedback but ultimately you will need to make the decision with the family :)

This one looks like great value. From the 'no offers before inspection' I expect it's under priced as bait to get more people in for larger offers.

Wow,photo shopped 1st photo,has a lemon tree,oranges,chicken wire for fencing and a water tank to feed a duck...I gotta have a look at this one :rolleyes:...Some great builds in SA.

You can get a pretty good house for $380k in Modbury area.

$450k puts you in the Tranmere/Rostrevor bracket, likely 1 bathroom and unrenovated if you're still going for decent size block.

Or could get you something inbetween in paradise, campbelltown, Athelstone, Dernacourt which gets you Charles Campbell

But being in the right school zone can play a big factor.

Being PPOR makes it a whole lot harder, I think you will be able to get some feedback but ultimately you will need to make the decision with the family :)

Thanks for the feedback. It would be 10+ years away till the school zone comes into play, but I'm thinking to get in now before I'm outpriced. Purely from an investment perspective, which would be better? I read that good equity growth gets the ball rolling to buy more properties.

Thanks for the feedback. It would be 10+ years away till the school zone comes into play, but I'm thinking to get in now before I'm outpriced. Purely from an investment perspective, which would be better? I read that good equity growth gets the ball rolling to buy more properties.

Cant buy more IPs without a deposit (preferably from eqyity) ;)

Kilburn

Anyone have some thoughts about Kilburn?

Only 7km from the CBD

A Costco going in not too far away gives good gentrification?

Z6

Whats gentrifying about costco?
Maybe you could help me with the understanding of what gentrifying is?

I thought it was to do with large companies, stores, franchises deciding to open up business in certain areas based on heavy research which the companies throw a lot of money into? (eg: Bunnings, Aldi, Costco, Bunnings, BigW, Coles, DanMurphys ect)
Kilburn used to be dirt cheap 2 years ago, it's already priced in for the Churchill development now.

Really? Has only had a 2.6% increase over the last 5 years, maybe most of that happened the past 2 years*

*Although just checking median prices sold in 2011 at an avg of 330k and 2013 was 325k, unsure how its tracking this year. Maybe youre thinking of the 280k in 2012.

Compared to other suburbs in similar range to the CBD admittingly on the east side of Adelaide.

However Costco moving there could only be a benefit into them seeing a really strong market there?

Back