period homes with wall cracks

While I love period homes that have been maintained well, seeing large cracks in the wall is highly unsettling. Is this just something that comes with the territory of old houses or is it a worrying sign of a structural defect?

Here's an example of what I mean (see far right and on the left):

image7.jpg

Even new homes get cracks, its a matter of determining whether its minor or serious, cost to repair etc.

If you are considering buying the property in the photo or another similar I would make sure an inspection is organised to determine what is causing the cracks.

We purchased period home with major cracks due to water damage and the limestone footings slightly rolled out, sounds serious, it was, we were quoted as much as $30K to repair, but we found a simple solution and paid about $5000 and got rid of the water issue.

Once you get the inspection report if you want to proceed with the sale you can also use this as a negotiating tool to reduce sale price, you can also ask the seller to pay for repair costs etc.

MTR:)

looks like it has has some additions to the main structure, possibly effected the
original structure.

I normally find older houses with little cracking issues unless there is a serious
underlying issue. also depends on what type of timber the framing is , hardwood
tends to have less cracking than modern pine .

Back