Periodic Inspections - Photographs

Guys,

Is anyone aware that you cannot now take photos of inspections when the agents go around and do the quarterly inspections.

This peeves me off.

I am only interested to see the condition of the property and the chatels, , but the PM is saying that they can't as the tenants don't want cameras in the house?

I think it has come into the new legislation now.

I actually queried an agent on a property for sale in Mooloolaba the other day, and the picture on the net shows the outside of the house, a picture of a beach, a picture of a river, a picture of a bloke fishing, and a picture of a bloke surfing. I was interested in the property, and mentioned that I am not interested in the lovey dovey pictures he put in on the net, but more so of what is inside of the property. He told me that he can't because the tenants there didn't allow him.

This is just insane!!!!.....isn't it?

Fair enough, if you like it initially, you could go around for the insopection, but the quarterly inspection and 6 month defect report (where photos are kept for record purposes) is where I am really peeved off.

Is there anything that owners can do??

I have a few periodic inspection coming up, and a 6 month building inspection on a new build next month.

Surely the tenants don't have another one over us on this???....do they??

Cheers,

F.

Never heard of this. Just today in the mail I got a report with several photos, complete with the tenants' belongings everywhere, and I'm from QLD too.

The problem arises under Privacy Legislation.

The tenants are within their rights to not have pictures taken of a property that also contains images of their personal belongings - furniture, photographs, etc......and then have them put on public display on the internet say on realestate.com.au

The tenants are within their rights to not have pictures taken of a property that also contains images of their personal belongings - furniture, photographs, black ceramic penises, etc......and then have them put on public display on the internet say on realestate.com.au

Sorry, the thread that references seems to have disappeared...

Surely the tenants don't have another one over us on this???....do they??
These lowly tenants that are so rudely inconveniencing you are also people, just like you and I, who deserve privacy and respect.
Is it really such a hassle to write out detailed condition reports if a request to take photos is politely declined?

I don't WANT to see photos of tenants' possessions in any "for sale" listings or property reports.

I can't see any reason though not to show pictures of the kitchen and bathroom. These fittings belong to the owner. Those together with a couple of exterior shots will be enough for most people.
Marg

There must be an intelligent answer/compromise.

Perhaps the tenants can be present and can look through the photos to make sure they don't include personal items like photos, etc... So you could use the zoom to keep them out of frame.

Or, the photos could be taken, photoshopped and then run by the tenants to see if they have any objections.

Or the personal items could be covered (by a sheet, etc...) as the photos are taken.

If tenants have the full right to refuse any photos being taken, then how can a long distance owner SAN knowing his/her property is in good shape?

Equally, everyone has certain rights to privacy.

Personally, I always wonder what the fuss and paranoia are about.

Ok here it is,

Firstly I will say that I'm a long time renter, but I have been lurking on this forum for well over a year. From the research I have done I can see objectively from both sides of the fence, renter vs landlord.

The most common theme that has surfaced has been the time and detail of reporting between renter<>landlord .

From a tenants perspective taking photos of my possessions is a gross violation of my privacy (who knows where the photos will end up?) and people will judge me for the possessions I have .

From a landlords perspective, they would like to know their investment is not being destroyed and also is being maintained (apart from rent being paid on time).

The common theme here is the PM, You get good ones and bad ones ( just like tenants).

In summary,
If a PM is doing their job and you are paying them reasonable rates, they should be able to give you a better idea of the property condition in a (property condition report) than any photo can give you.

These lowly tenants that are so rudely inconveniencing you are also people, just like you and I, who deserve privacy and respect.
Is it really such a hassle to write out detailed condition reports if a request to take photos is politely declined?

yeah this. when I was a tenant I am not sure I would have appreciated photos of my 'stuff' being taken. Take photo's before they move in, detailed reports and then you don't need any more photo's until the move out.

There is absolutely no reason to take photos of tenant's "stuff". Where is the reason to simply point and click so that the owner can receive photos? I know what my IPs look like inside. I don't need (or want) general photos every 3 months.

What I DO want are photos of any damage (serious marks or holes in walls, broken light fitting etc.), photos of a new fixture (i.e., rangehood) the PM has arranged to be installed, photos of something requiring ME to repair (i.e, rusting guttering, cracked pathway) etc.

I can't see any tenant objecting to this. It is in the interests of both the tenant and the owner to keep the property in good repair.
Marg

There is absolutely no reason to take photos of tenant's "stuff". Where is the reason to simply point and click so that the owner can receive photos? I know what my IPs look like inside. I don't need (or want) general photos every 3 months.

What I DO want are photos of any damage (serious marks or holes in walls, broken light fitting etc.), photos of a new fixture (i.e., rangehood) the PM has arranged to be installed, photos of something requiring ME to repair (i.e, rusting guttering, cracked pathway) etc.

I can't see any tenant objecting to this. It is in the interests of both the tenant and the owner to keep the property in good repair.
Marg

Yeah, I couldn't give a hoot about looking at tenants possessions in photographs. As some poster mentioned, I don't care what they have in the unit.

With regards to Propertunity, this sounds fair and reasonable, but the report is for my personal records and won't be on any internet.

The problem for me is that several notes / issues were picked up in the inspection report for replacement / fixing, and wouldn't have a clue what it looks like.

I can guarantee that photographs will be required during the 6 month building handover, so will again try and sort it out with my other PM.

I am all for tenant privacy, as I was also a tenant, but this seems to be a bit unhelpful, when trying to promptly get the issue rectified.!!

Cheers,

F

Huh,

Yeah thanks, I have done my EEW course (etiquette, equallity and well being 101) a few years ago, so am on the ball there.

I didn't say they don't deserve common decency, just like anyone else, where did you pull respect from? If it wasn't for all my tenants, I wouldn't be in property investment!!

I have been renting for years as well (maybe about 15 years), so it doesn't matter 'which side of the fence I am on' or 'what hat I am wearing', I am only trying to ensure that I can 'see' what the PM is talking about when she says there are issues with the property (as she can't describe the issue too well). (You know the old saying.... a picture is worth a thousand words)

In terms of my privacy, when I sell my house, I am gioing to have everything in the pictures, as the extra pieces of furniture , wall hangings, beds, etc, make it look more like a home than a house. (This would be more of a sales pitch though, ie have big screen plasma on, spa going, beach cushions poolside, barbie up, pool umbrellas up, outside projector on, etc, etc. Its all part of the selling and promoting of the property). I realise any tenant wouldn't go to this much trouble however.

Cheers,

F