Personality type and jobs

Pretty much rubbish.
May be slightly valid if you are an employee and want to be categorised.

I'm an entrepreneur, don't believe that's a job or career.
I was extremely introverted when I began my working life.
After running a biz for the last 10 years, am less introverted, but still more than most.
Just last week I made a snap decision that I will be the best salesperson I can be. My personality changed immediately. I started getting up at 2 and 3 in the morning learning about it. My personality changed overnight and everybody in our organization could see it. I became alive and energetic and started calling anyone and everyone and greeting people, which I would have never done before.
And I feel absolutely empowered and full of confidence dealing and communicating with anybody right now.

Bottom line is, do what you want to do, not what some stupid personality test categorises you as.

Pretty much rubbish.

After running a biz for the last 10 years, am less introverted, but still more than most.
Just last week I made a snap decision that I will be the best salesperson I can be. My personality changed immediately. I started getting up at 2 and 3 in the morning learning about it. My personality changed overnight and everybody in our organization could see it. I became alive and energetic and started calling anyone and everyone and greeting people, which I would have never done before.
And I feel absolutely empowered and full of confidence dealing and communicating with anybody right now.

Bottom line is, do what you want to do, not what some stupid personality test categorises you as.

Nice Ace, yeah, I can change over time, we all can, I just have this tendency in me. INTP-A.
I have lots of "feeling" friends, I really admire them. It's something I can learn, but it's something I'd have to focus on specifically in communications, it's not something I feel is part of my innate being.
Ps. Waking up at 2-3am in the morning to focus on being extroverted? That would burn me out in no time. I enjoy my sleep...

http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/cpb/57/3/210/

"The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI; K. C. Briggs & I. B. Myers, 1998) is a popular measure of normal personality that its promoters claim has many applications. M. H. McCaulley (2000) offered an optimistic and enthusiastic account of how counselors can use this instrument in corporate settings. The present article evaluates several of the psychometric limitations and criticisms of the MBTI that warrant considerable caution when making inferences from its 4-letter type formula. The author concludes that the MBTI, while offering much intuitive appeal, may not yet be able to support the claims its promoters make. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved)"

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

2h7qq03.jpg

Anyone that tries to shove me in a box can kiss my tucus!

Pretty much rubbish.

Ace, must say, this is up there with the best posts i've read on SS. Agree 100%. Brilliant attitude to have IMO. Anyone starting a business should absorb it IMO.

You may have natural inclinations to be a certain personality type, but i think there's huge personal/business benefits in being/learning the skills that you need to have to succeed.

If you're running a business, sticking to your comfort zones may limit the potential/opportunities that are definitely out there. Why limit yourself i say.

Cheers,
Redom

Thank you sir for the kind words.
It's all in the mind I say.

If you ever get drunk or take drugs, not suggesting it, you would probably feel confident, powerful, focused and all sorts of feelings you may not feel when not on any of these substances.

Surely people can be trained to naturally get into these heightened states by slowly and gradually changing the mindset, sometimes instantly.
It's all about being focussed on your goal.

Well I had a Myers Briggs around 25 years ago and showed it to my wife and my secretary (If you can remember those you must be as old as me :D) Both thought the standard sheet had been been written just for me as they thought it was that accurate.

The most important thing that it did for me was:
Tell me what I was bad at which helped me to improve and/or make sure I employed staff who were good at the things I was bad at.

As a result of the work I have put into myself I have changed my profile from introvert to extrovert.

I have found the Myers-Briggs quite useful in an workplace setting. Being aware of a colleague's communication preferences and general 'style' assisted me greatly in making sure I presented my ideas in a form that better suited the recipient.

It made my life way easier when 'upward' managing my manager once I knew he was a 'details' person, whilst I am an 'ideas' guy.

These inventories are not a universal panacea, but they can guide you to more successful interactions.

Done Myer Bricks couple times and the results were different :confused: I am either ENTP or INTP... Or maybe just too difficult to be boxed in

Ha, they've got engineers as extraverts on that chart!

I'm certainly not and working with many other engineers, I would say that the large majority of them are definitely introverts rather than extroverts.

Done Myer Bricks couple times and the results were different :confused: I am either ENTP or INTP... Or maybe just too difficult to be boxed in

So basically you've changed over time, right?
I'm now an extroverted introvert, where only 1 month ago I was quite introverted. Don't think I'll ever become a true extrovert because my personal life will always be introverted by choice.

I have found the Myers-Briggs quite useful in an workplace setting. Being aware of a colleague's communication preferences and general 'style' assisted me greatly in making sure I presented my ideas in a form that better suited the recipient.

These inventories are not a universal panacea, but they can guide you to more successful interactions.

That is so true. There's a useful book by a lady called Florence something called 'Personality Plus' which is broader (only 4 'types') but it is very useful when presenting things to different kinds of people.

Re - engineers, I think they have a category all their own ;)

During this week lunch at work I said to my colleagues, "I like my work". I like to solve problems, build things, try to improve processes and make things better so being a report developer/level 3 support suits me well.

What stunned me though was my colleagues looked at me like I had 2 heads! I was so shocked and feel saddened that nobody else at the table seemed to share my enjoyment of work. (Note, i've only been there 9 months which isn't long compared to many people). Somebody brought up that I had a good boss (and that is sooooo true) and that they don't like red tape and so I agreed with that about red tape but overall.... wow. I'm of the opinion if I don't like my work I would go and find another. Perhaps my colleagues have never found a job they love?

Anyway, I also let it be known I plan to retire in 5 years (i'm late 30's now)... because I know I can. :D

During this week lunch at work I said to my colleagues, "I like my work". I like to solve problems, build things, try to improve processes and make things better so being a report developer/level 3 support suits me well.

What stunned me though was my colleagues looked at me like I had 2 heads! I was so shocked and feel saddened that nobody else at the table seemed to share my enjoyment of work. (Note, i've only been there 9 months which isn't long compared to many people). Somebody brought up that I had a good boss (and that is sooooo true) and that they don't like red tape and so I agreed with that about red tape but overall.... wow. I'm of the opinion if I don't like my work I would go and find another. Perhaps my colleagues have never found a job they love?

Anyway, I also let it be known I plan to retire in 5 years (i'm late 30's now)... because I know I can. :D

I feel that having an end goal in mind makes the whole working process so much easier.
I don't love my job, but I do like it and I think that's pretty good. I'll easily be able to stay here until I've got enough equity to go into property full time.

My partner was getting very stressed with work a couple of weeks ago and said that she really just wants a low stress job like working at a florist. I told her that in 5 years time, she can do whatever she wants and while she wasn't 100% happy with it, it did seem to help her quite a bit to have a goal line in sight.

Back