Perth Bursting

indeed, the traffic has got substantially worse. as soon as great eastern hwy is finished it will refill with traffic

i sold my manual sportscar and bought an auto buzz box, handles it way better

Waiting for Gnangara Rd to go dual lane also

I am glad I do not have to travel on Great Eastern Highway frequently. I dropped my daughter off in Vic Park a few weeks back, not even peak hour traffic it took me an hour from Vic Park to Guildford, 40 KM speed limit is terrible.

I was not aware that Gnangarra road is going dual, that will be good since it is my neck of the woods. A roundabout at the corner of West Swan and Gnangarra can't be done soon enough, although I really think traffic lights would be better, ever seen the traffic trying to get on to West Swan in peak hour.

My two least favourites are Great EasternHighway and Lord Street/Reid Highway intersection. Have they done anything with the Lord street intersection yet?

My two least favourites are Great EasternHighway and Lord Street/Reid Highway intersection. Have they done anything with the Lord street intersection yet?

Wha? Lord St in Perth and Reid Hwy around Malaga? Where do they intersect?

How long is construction on GEHighway going to last?? Its been like that for ages!

Wha? Lord St in Perth and Reid Hwy around Malaga? Where do they intersect?

How long is construction on GEHighway going to last?? Its been like that for ages!

There's a Lord Street that goes past Whiteman Park and ties into Reid Hwy, apparently the coming Perth - Darwin Hwy will be out that way

I am on the road around Fremantle and southern suburbs on a daily basis. Success is a particular mess, god knows what will happen when the new emergency services hub goes in there as it often takes 4 changes of lights to go 800 metres to the freeway entrance and they are going to add fire trucks and ambulances to the mix.

There is no parking around the park and ride stations at Murdoch, Bull Creek and Success unless you get there before 8am and I sometimes travel down to Kwinana from Success just to get parking to ride the train up to Perth. In fact I sometimes just have to cop the parking fines if I need to be in East Perth for more than two hours and can't spend all the time required for train transfers and finding a parking spot near a station.

All great news if you are buying property close to public transport.

I also travel past Victoria Quay a couple of times a week and the number of new cars being brought in is both impressive and alarming.

To whoever mentioned Melbourne's antiquated trams: I lived in Melbourne for five years I loved the trams, so quick, efficient and full of character.

A bit fatalistic but

Perth set to 'die' from congestion

Once upon a time - and it wasn't that long ago - you could travel just about anywhere across the Perth metropolitan area in 20 minutes.

"Be there in 20 minutes" was the catchcry for motorists.

The lack of traffic jams or commuter crushes were two of the selling points for anyone talking to visitors about the benefits of living in the country's most isolated capital.

Not any more. Like house prices, electricity prices, coffee prices, restaurant prices and taxi prices, the time spent getting from A to B is climbing and becoming a common whinge around the backyard barbecue.

Developers who created Perth's seemingly endless urban sprawl were happy to flog the far-flung house and land packages and let the State Government worry about how all those people with all those cars would get to work during peak hour.

Now, with new forecasts predicting a population of 2.4 million (an extra 650,000 people) in the Perth and Peel regions by 2026, dealing with public transport and traffic congestion is paramount.

"Any government that doesn't have a serious plan with a serious commitment of funds for public transport will lose elections," sustainability expert Peter Newman said.

The Curtin University professor does not mean a 20 or 30- year plan, as is the case in WA. He is referring to the need for a strategy to deal with a looming urban disaster.

"Perth will not be an attractive place and eventually it will begin to die," Professor Newman said.

cont...

he RAC shares the professor's anxiety. In its latest Horizon magazine, the organisation documented alarming statistics to show why congestion in Perth could soon become the number one issue facing government:

�There were 43,000 additional cars on WA roads in the past 12 months.

�At least 26 carparks the size of Patersons Stadium would be needed to park them.

�Congestion didn't rate as an issue with motorists in 2009 RAC surveys. Last year it was the third biggest issue.

�In the next 10 years there will be 400,000 more cars on the road.

_The West Australian _took part in a recent experiment with Channel 7 reporters to see which mode of transport offered commuters the fastest way to work from the northern and southern suburbs in peak hour.

Setting out just after 7.30am from Farrington Road in Leeming - about 19km from the city centre - a bike easily won the race against a car, which averaged between 15km/h and 20km/h for most of the roadworks-affected trip.

From Clarkson, the ride into the city by train was much faster than by car.

graphic_1_17k33c5-17k33cb.jpg

Perthites have nothing to complain about. They need to go to Melbourne or Sydney to see how good we have it.

Ignoring Parramatta Road, Perth traffic on freeways is much worse than Sydney freeway/highway traffic. Peak hour starts much earlier in Perth :(

Can't speak for Melbourne though.

Why the hell don't they build multi-storey carparks at the stations and triple capacity? Very stupid to have so much space and demand, and then only build a ground level carpark.

Why the hell don't they build multi-storey carparks at the stations and triple capacity? Very stupid to have so much space and demand, and then only build a ground level carpark.

If you don't mind station staff with white gloves squeezing in commuters like in Japan, then sure.

It's a conundrum. The trains already run every 3-5 minutes at peak hour.

That's my point.

Rail system almost at capacity.

The next step would be double decker trains and that could end up a very expensive exercise (raising heights of power, station mods, bridge heights, tunnels etc etc).

That's my point.

Rail system almost at capacity.

The next step would be double decker trains and that could end up a very expensive exercise (raising heights of power, station mods, bridge heights, tunnels etc etc).

wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to lower the railways.....?

Back