Perth - could be a good opportunity

If its apart of the rezoning area it could be a good score.

But being on the river bank i doubt it. Maybe duplex or triplex site.
Will try and find the zoning.

Cheers

Thanks Dave - getting so left behind with technology! To my knowledge it was rezoned r20, up from r5. But of course best to do your own research.

I have actually looked at this site for a few of my clients. The zoning is R25 as it is a corner site in the Town of Bassendean TPS. Most people would look at this site and assume four units at R25 (1654/350 = 4.72), however I'm fairly confident of squeezing an extra block on this site.

The sellers are seeking above $1.2m, and it is going to auction. That works out to being $240k a block. some unrealistic vendor is trying to sell blocks next door for $600k, which I doubt they are going to get - mind you I'm sometimes surprised in this market. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-wa-ashfield-200573283

My rough feaso looks like:
Land: $1,200,000
Cost in: $55,000
Holding: $70,000
Subdivision: $120,000
Cost Out: $47,500
Contingency: $15,000
Costs: $1,507,500

End Sale:
2 blocks facing River: 350,000
3 other: 300,000
total: $1,600,000
No GST included.

$100k seems pretty light on for a $1.5m land subdivision, I would be wanting closer to 25% - 30% on cost. However, a builder will probably take on this site and also make the margin in the build.

One big concern is the proximity to the river, I would be getting a Geotech in that area!

Correct, the untrained eye would think R20. However the scheme text has an amendment for corner sites and density bonuses.

The Council may permit the development, or support the subdivision of an existing R17.5 or R20 coded corner lot to a maximum density of R25 provided the original lot has frontage to two constructed roads and any new lots created or new dwellings constructed shall have their own frontage to a constructed road.

LOTS OF MONEY TO BE MADE WHERE OTHER PEOPLE OVERLOOK OPPORTUNITY!

I have actually looked at this site for a few of my clients. The zoning is R25 as it is a corner site in the Town of Bassendean TPS. Most people would look at this site and assume four units at R25 (1654/350 = 4.72), however I'm fairly confident of squeezing an extra block on this site.

The sellers are seeking above $1.2m, and it is going to auction. That works out to being $240k a block. some unrealistic vendor is trying to sell blocks next door for $600k, which I doubt they are going to get - mind you I'm sometimes surprised in this market. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-wa-ashfield-200573283

End Sale:
No GST included.

$100k seems pretty light on for a $1.5m land subdivision, I would be wanting closer to 25% - 30% on cost. However, a builder will probably take on this site and also make the margin in the build.

One big concern is the proximity to the river, I would be getting a Geotech in that area!

Are you going to the auction kent?

Cheers

Interesting Kent - my rough guess was that it would go for $1.2 also. Did you see the blocks for sale at Bayswater a couple of streets away near boat ramp also? EDIT - looks like the blocks in Katanning Street, Bayswater have been taken off the market!

HD Ace - I won't be at the Auction, we aren't too interested in the site.

Here is something that I did like:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-dianella-113761051

In fact we went for this one, but were beaten to the post by a cash offer at the $950k mark. Still not profitable to develop and make 20%. However my clients were looking to hold>

Chop the rear off, sell, do a bit of a reno and your Gross yield on a 700sqm block in Dianella would be above 6%. Pretty hard to beat for a buy and holder in this market!

In fact we went for this one, but were beaten to the post by a cash offer at the $950k mark. Still not profitable to develop and make 20%. However my clients were looking to hold>

Chop the rear off, sell, do a bit of a reno and your Gross yield on a 700sqm block in Dianella would be above 6%. Pretty hard to beat for a buy and holder in this market!

I liked that one too. Thought it was a good one for a staged development or simply put in house at rear and hold front with small reno.

Correct, the untrained eye would think R20. However the scheme text has an amendment for corner sites and density bonuses.

LOTS OF MONEY TO BE MADE WHERE OTHER PEOPLE OVERLOOK OPPORTUNITY!

Gotta love the overlooked.

My site in Gwelup is R30 and 1224sqm but was being sold as a triplex block and had a picture on the RE website showing the outlines of possible subdivision.
It easily technically a 4 unit block with 24sqm spare :)
The risk and sums worked beautifully at 4 units, still worked at 3 but a lot higher risk and less reward.

End Sale:
No GST included.

How did you come up with those end sale figures? I guess the closest comparable would be Ingles Place, Bayswater. I find it hard to believe you could purchase a riverfront block for $350,000. If so, I'll buy one! http://m.realestate.com.au/property-residential land-wa-bayswater-200332323 (don't know how to turn mobile version off)

Re: Geotech - it would be worth getting. I've got a block A few houses up backing onto a riverfront block and soil doesn't contain much clay so I don't have to worry about extra costs for earthworks. I've heard there's a lot of clay on Hardy Road, Bassendean near Ashfield border though.

My site in Gwelup is R30 and 1224sqm but was being sold as a triplex block and had a picture on the RE website showing the outlines of possible subdivision.
The risk and sums worked beautifully at 4 units, still worked at 3 but a lot higher risk and less reward.

There's no extra zoning for side lane ways is there? I wish!!

yeah i bought a site in maylands last year that had been on the market nearly 4 years and i had put 5 or 6 offers on over the previous 2-3 years

994 sqm R40 site with 2 existing 2x1s on it which could be retaining and it was only 670k (compare that to the dianella one that just sold for 950k)

very hard site to deal with though, lots of difficulties

If you think you can get more, put your money were your mouth is and buy the block ;) Personally I am a little more conservative. It is Ashfield! The whole, "come back to my river front block in ... Ashfield?" doesn't ring so well on the dinner party circuit so people aren't generally paying as much of a premium for the views.

My comparable was these:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-ashfield-113717723
Same size block and take off $200k for the build. Yes it's not street front or river front, but this is what you are competing with.

There's no extra zoning for side lane ways is there? I wish!!

Yes there is:
in the case of a rear battleaxe site, the site
area is inclusive of the access leg provided
that the area of the access leg contributes
no more than 20 per cent of the site area
as required by table 1. Where the lot
(excluding the access leg) adjoins or abuts
a right-of-way or reserve for open space,
pedestrian access, school site or
equivalent, half the width (up to a maximum
depth of two metres) may be added to the
site area.

yeah i bought a site in maylands last year that had been on the market nearly 4 years and i had put 5 or 6 offers on over the previous 2-3 years

994 sqm R40 site with 2 existing 2x1s on it which could be retaining and it was only 670k (compare that to the dianella one that just sold for 950k)

very hard site to deal with though, lots of difficulties

But try getting Multis through Stirling at R30... Nevergonnahappen - Until the WAPC makes an example of a 'council' as discussed at last weeks Property Council Function...

Thats a shame looked like a good site..

How are you going finding and securing development sites in this market atm?
Looks tough.

Cheers

Back