Perth for $400K?

yep - rail link was sh*tcanned after the last state election - only carps was dumb enough to put one out there from Midland. If anything, there should be an east-link line from Joondalup or Whitfords, through Ellenbrook, then down to Midland.

it's still on the "to do" list at Dept of Planning and Infrastructure, though.

I've been reading this thread and I like to know what people think about buying a unit?
I have 1 IP (a house 3x1) and like to get a second one.
Does unit provide a good CG?
I've always been told to get a house because the land price is the one that goes up.

The way I do my estimation across all WA suburbs looking at capital growth for the past 10 years and rental yields for the past 10 years. I then look for longterm consistanct growth with exponential growth figures over the last 5 and 2 years. (we know it didn't happen over the past 2 years). I then sort the suburbs according to 15km CBD, east, north west, north, south west etc. I then create a selection criteria based on additional scores for demographics, 50% owner occupied and 50% rentals etc. I also look at # properties in area for sale and sold per annum. I only look at those areas around the price median. There are about 10 points.This way you avoid hot spots and 'flavour of the month'. This is not an exact science but gives a good indication. The Residex predictions show most of their growth areas are on the outskirts (further than 35km) from CBD. Beware, I have heard many horror stories of owners that bought at a premuim and can't sell.

I've been reading this thread and I like to know what people think about buying a unit?
I have 1 IP (a house 3x1) and like to get a second one.
Does unit provide a good CG?
I've always been told to get a house because the land price is the one that goes up.

Depends on your strategy - some people prefer units or townhouses for various reasons.

IMO units need to be in an area of high demand for that sort of dwelling, say near the inner city cafe strips or beach. You'd be looking at the same price as for a house in an outer suburb

So say a 2bd unit in a small complex in Mt Lawley might be 420k. Well, you can buy a house a bit further out for that price. So depends on what you're after really.

So say a 2bd unit in a small complex in Mt Lawley might be 420k. Well, you can buy a house a bit further out for that price. So depends on what you're after really.

Which would have better growth potential though?

Most seem to say houses are better for growth because its the land that appreciates (building depreciates) but i was reading one of the Lomas books last night and she says she sees no evidence from her own experience to support this theory (that units do not get as good CG as houses)

??

A unit would be a lot easier to own i'd think...

Which would have better growth potential though?

Most seem to say houses are better for growth because its the land that appreciates (building depreciates) but i was reading one of the Lomas books last night and she says she sees no evidence from her own experience to support this theory (that units do not get as good CG as houses)

??

A unit would be a lot easier to own i'd think...

Contrary to popular belief and misconceived information being spread around Houses, villas, town houses, apartments or vacant land etc etc are all purely the commodity being marketed.

Ultimately everything come down to supply and demand of that particular commodity.

This is the reason why you dont see one only particular commodity outstripping all others.

Hope this helps.

Beside being unsure if I should get a house further out or a unit/townhouse in a nicer suburb ie. Mount Lawley,Leederville etc there have been many articles/write up about property in WA and Australia in general for being too expensive/over priced. It is really affecting my decision to go forward.
So confused:confused:

Beside being unsure if I should get a house further out or a unit/townhouse in a nicer suburb ie. Mount Lawley,Leederville etc

Different strokes for different folks. Both have their merits.

there have been many articles/write up about property in WA and Australia in general for being too expensive/over priced. It is really affecting my decision to go forward.
So confused:confused:

Expensive compared to what?

It's just demand/supply so unless you expect a mass increase in supply to offset the current demand for housing, it'll just get even more "expensive".

Back