Perth houses are currently as affordable as they were in 2003 and 1996

I always thought Perth median was around 640?

Boom times, yes.
Perth at one stage would you believe around peak 2006 had same median as Sydney's median, hard to digest this, was during those heady mining boom days. Just shows you what a boom and a bust cycle is all about.

Houses 10-15k's from the city on blocks 700-850sqm have gone up from $350,000 to around $500,000, give or take since mid 2011. I sold a property in that range in mid 2009 at Eden Hill for $350,000.
I was watching Beechboro, Eden Hill and Bassendean. I really wanted to buy back into Eden hill as it was already rezoned and looking like excellent value (further rezoning on the horizon for Bassendean an Eden Hill) but prices jumped over night from $350,000 to low $400,000's. Quick gain!! Ouch...

My husband has been working with people from Gold Coast and Brisbane. They've come over due to previous lack of work. They like it here but see much better value over East for purchasing a house. I do agree with that. I also feel though that Perth has a good diverse economy so I feel I'd rather bring my kids up here as I feel they'll have more opportunity with employment. There is some still good value buying opportunities but you need to look harder.

I think people need to stop relying on FIFOs and using them as a reasonable point in their discussions. There will be very few left with the way the industry is going (both with streamlining operations, use of technology and productivity increases and of course more impending mine closures) and those that have to move back to a city position will be left with a large pay cut.

Rio is pushing ahead with technology studies despite the price slump.

http://www.miningaustralia.com.au/news/rio-tinto-and-sydney-uni-expand-autonomous-mining

no forecast slowdown. The mining thing is a bit of an 80s cliche from eastern staters - I'd say if Perth is all about mining what do they do in Sydney / Melbourne...nothing? I actually have no idea how they keep themselves busy but they do. Anyway it's too hard to argue otherwise, just go with it for it now.

http://content.id.com.au/australian...s-covering-the-whole-state-are-now-available/

You are are little hypocritical if you claim that eastern staters know nothing about the Perth economy, however you claim you have no idea what they do! Australia also does have a services sector.

yeh that was more 2003-2006

http://www.statista.com/statistics/282830/iron-ore-prices-since-2003/

Not at all. Volumes have also been increasing with time.

INVSTOR: Yes, Eden hill was a great place to buy, but then it rose overnight. I remember seeing that on realestate.com.au and was quite shocked.

You are are little hypocritical if you claim that eastern staters know nothing about the Perth economy, however you claim you have no idea what they do! Australia also does have a services sector.

it would only be hypocritical if I said everyone should be informed. If anything it was conciliatory

Certain businesses in Perth are likely to see an upturn in their patronage.
Child Care will be one of them.

As the miners return to Perth and are forced to take a huge hair cut in terms of salary expectations, many of their wives will be forced into the workforce to maintain a semblance of their previous lifestyles.

This will be in stark contrast to sitting on their backsides sipping latte and eating a bowl of wedges for a job. ;)

It's not just Perth tho, FIFOs were coming from all over, I think half of Brisbane and NZ was FIFO Pilbara. Reported that the south west population is expanding on the back of returning FIFOs. Is there any evidence for all this talk? How many FIFOs were there and how many have lost their jobs?

Many of those returning will struggle to adjust, won't be able to conceal their attitudes, and will struggle to get work.

Highly likely to be an increase in relationship breakups which will place further downward pressure on an already brittle property market.

A perfect storm forming really.

Not in a market that's trending down.

Whatever the discount percentage is, double it and then some when couples are willing to cut and run.

how can 1 sale and 2 purchases be bad for the market?

I'm being a little bit silly... in reality I think it would have a small positive influence on the market. Eventually the new singles will flatshare, travel, recouple etc

how can 1 sale and 2 purchases be bad for the market?

I'm being a little bit silly... in reality I think it would have a small positive influence on the market. Eventually the new singles will flatshare, travel, recouple etc

Might be talking from 2 different angles.

Bad if your selling, good if your buying.

Both parties are more likely to rent after a breakup which is good for existing investors.

This was posted today by a member on another property forum I frequent.

Can't vouch for authenticity but it's an interesting story...

Normally I'm a bear bear bear. When I was in Perth last year and commercial properties had 30-40% off, as well as all the home opens I was going to had no one in them. I realised it was time to buy :) didn't say anything because I wanted to get in first.

Got 2 places now, one in applecross (nbn, fiona stanley, booragoon doubling, canning bridge upgrade)
one in rivervale (nbn, new shops coming, stadium, improved infrastructure)

I went to about 20 home opens and put in bids 15% below their 2008 values. So around 25-30% off what they should go for if they got a steady return over the last 7/8 years. Gave the agents my card, told them what I do, how Perth is terrible and is getting worse, how I needed a place for my wife because she just got pregnant and if it was up to me I'd wait until there's some security in the economy. blah blah blah, strung them along. My wife's not pregnant lol. got about 10 calls back for around 10 calls for 5% off 10 for 10% off and 2 for 15% off the 2008/2009 price. Snapped them up.

Rio and BHP churn out iron ore for a profit and make up 85% of the market. The risky ones make up less than 5%. In total iron ore makes up 29% of the WA economy. So that's around 1.5% to the WA economy IF the risky ones go under which is insignificant. Also we're about to become the biggest gas supplier in the world... That doesn't happen when things are falling apart. Sure the platforms are designed in mayalasia, built in korea and run by 50% 457 visas but we still get the other 50% of the workers and the royalties and the ongoing works. WA is not doing as bad as the papers make it out to be. Plus a lot of companies have managed to trim the fat in the last few years thanks to me haha. Didn't share that with them though ;-) Those two got accepted. Good blocks, both with city views on north hills off main roads. Sellers were desperate. With the cash I had in the government supported stock market since 2008/9 I put down full 20% deposits and put the rest back in the market. Offset accounts are useless if you get 10% back every year with shares lol.

Anyhow, I knew demand was coming because a LOT of people at the Christmas parties were scared and afraid of a crash but at the same time realising rates were so low they could borrow for almost nothing but it hadn't clicked yet. They discussed wages climbing and how relatively speaking its affordable but no one had taken the plunge.

Wage growth in WA has been chugging along since 2008 and house prices haven't really moved. The wage now? 70-80k? you can get new 3x2 and 4x2 for 3-4x your wage in WA. Its almost corrected itself.

Plus the RBA and Govt finally realised we have a currency war going on with the USA and Euro so our rate will at the floor at least until end of next year while they try to force our dollar lower which will make it even more profitable for work to be done in WA.

On top of all that immigration had plummeted and people are moving out which is taking care of the unemployment so thats another bonus.

I sold 'the worlds ending' to the agents when its actually not so bad haha it was FUN.

Now I see every man woman and child is trying to sell to upgrade. Went to a couple of home opens last weekend and they must have had 20 couples at every house. It was crazy when there was no one 6 months ago, I was dreading the competition I would have had to face for the premium blocks. Now rates are low and we've had a lull, I'd expect WA to follow Sydney in a year or so, definitely not as strong but WA is going to keep on climbing. Production of resources is increasing and its churning it all out for a profit. WA hasnt/wont be losing its manufacture base like SA. Its actually pretty strong just there was too much fat.

That said the other big big give away for me was, although I was seeing a lot of staff and assets getting cut down, feasibility studies kept popping up. First in November then a bunch in December to beat the new year. Now its non-stop feasibility and expansion enquiries. It was a big indicator that the markets turning after 7-8 years of pretty much non stop cuts and winding down stuff. Right now I'm working on a new 500 man camp and plant for up north. Again, cant say where or when or who but the company previously fired a HEAP of people and now the fat's gone they are very profitable and were helping them move into an expansion phase. Thats right this minute. This year though I think I've done maybe 6 or 7 major feasibilities for 8-9 figure expansions all of which were profitable especially with the exchange rate coming down.

Its not as bad as people think is all... Maybe 6 - 12 months of a dip because there are so many houses on the market as people are trying to upgrade but not too bad because rates are low and people have cash to burn, then its going to be gains again.

I'd still follow the basic principals if you're going to buy a house. Positive geared. Get land. Find expansion/high demand areas as close to the city as you can. God how bad is Subiaco! I looked there too and that place has turned into a ghost town lol I did get one offer back from Subi but turned them down because the hospital and stadium are going. Pretty much everything in the Western area is a wasteland now since they refuse to upgrade and improve the infrastructure to accommodate higher populations and create proper hubs using existing infrastructure. Too little too late, the state government has planned out expansions for SoR for the next 50 years so thats where I targeted.

Anyhow thats what I've been up to. Hope you all had a good new year!

This was posted today by a member on another property forum I frequent.

Can't vouch for authenticity but it's an interesting story...

Not sure why but i take everybodys opinion on this forum alot more seriously than other forums. Statements on somersoft seem to be reliable. That poster may have been lucky and got a few good deals but i dont think its an accurate summary of the market.

Like Mtr and a few others have said, perth had strong growth between 2012-2014. It started slowing down late last year as more listings came to the market. I was looking for retain and build deve sites which i think was one of tge most sought after products in the market place but end values still rose for other peoperties aswell.

Eg. I brought a retain and build on 1000sqm in southern suburbs 20km from cbd. I paid 425k in september 2012. Once subdivided the property now sits on 550sqm. Property is now worth about 465k with half the land component. I might have been lucky to get 480k if i sold it around sep2014 but with a bit more supply in the maarket its value dropped off a little.

I dont think perth market will change much in the next few years. I have a property melbourne i was going to develop but will now be looking to sell with permits around end of year and that should free me up to get another in perth late this year early next year.

Im looking for another retain and build but within 10km of cbd. I have a few areas in mind that i thinl will have good growth prospects with future infrastructure plans. Id love to see a but more supply come to the market between now and the end of the year as it should create a buyers market for picking up some bargins.

I cant see perth booming anytime in the next 2-3 years and think its pretty hard to predict much further than that. I do think all this doom and gloom talk about wa and the mining industry is over rated though. Yes its not the haydays right now but wa is still sitting on a tonne of valuble minerals and gases and we are pretty much next door to india and china who will big players in the following decades.

An old adage that resource cycles last around 20 years.

Given we have just come off one massive resource peak, next peak will be around 2030 (give or take a few years, and for when the peak occurred)

Perth heavily related to resources.

Will start looking at Perth property market around 2025.

Not interested in 'buying the dips' in a market that is going to go through a structural bear market for the next 10 years.

Back