Perth - New RMD Codes update.

Self explanatory, really.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/ac68b0f9275cec2b9e48045ec/files/9050PPT40.pdf

RMD Code – Release Imminent
The new Planning Bulletin for the RMD Code will be released shortly but this morning the industry was given a preview of the changes that will be introduced at the Hot Topics breakfast. UDIA will provide a more detailed briefing in a Member Alert when the document is available publicly. This policy is not retrospective and transition arrangements will be put in place with the aim of trying to ensure there is no disadvantage for existing projects.

So this is mostly good - is it for grouped/single dwellings only? Seems like a pretty big overall increase in potential small lot builds.

yes it is good.

it's a specific section for roughly R25-R60 and providing for a more modern-day interpretation of how we live.

basically, it's realising that what worked on 700sqm lots in 1985 doesn't work on 250sqm lots in 2015.

Very interesting! Thanks for the heads up Aaron.

Would councils have known about this for a while?

Just got a R60 townhouse DA approved, not sure if it'll be worthwhile to resubmit after how long it took!

Had a quick look at the examples in the pdf files linked. They seem more for individual lots and single storeys. Working out how they would benefit rear builds or double storey builds.

Question: If I had a narrow lot double storey townhouse, would the same principles apply for the top floor? Meaning I can apply a no maximum length boundary wall at the top floor to both sides boundaries?

EDIT: Reading up more, seems this only "Applies to greenfield and major infill projects via Structure Plan provisions". Is this only for huge projects?

Last edited:
Land releases from large developers I presume. It's extremely popular at stockland and cost effective to the buyer so hopefully one day they also apply to infill

Land releases from large developers I presume. It's extremely popular at stockland and cost effective to the buyer so hopefully one day they also apply to infill

Correct. It will be easier than applying for LDP or DAP for each new subdivision so that they can have codes that are different to the Residential Design Codes.

don't worry - the flow on effect will definitely come to infill.

we already have 2 sets of codes for the same zoning - another one would be a nightmare - ie define "infill"...

don't worry - the flow on effect will definitely come to infill.

we already have 2 sets of codes for the same zoning - another one would be a nightmare - ie define "infill"...

Hopefully sooner rather than later. These changes make so much sense for better designs, even more so for narrow and small lots.

Back