Perth Property Market updates

more likely due to most FHB's now building to secure a much bigger grant. this is also keeping a lid on prices

No matter what if there is less FHB buying established properties it's got to affect the whole market. I'm glad a FHB just bought my PPOR. :)

It seems FHB are targeting the 10k grant to build a new home. They are building way, way out from the CBD. I think ultimately its only going to drive up prices of those of closer proximity to the CBD in comparison to places like two rocks, alara, alkimos which are twice as far if not more than joondalup is to the CBD.

It seems FHB are targeting the 10k grant to build a new home. They are building way, way out from the CBD. I think ultimately its only going to drive up prices of those of closer proximity to the CBD in comparison to places like two rocks, alara, alkimos which are twice as far if not more than joondalup is to the CBD.

these market distortions are confusing - currently we are seeing a subsidy for urban sprawl. how that plays out long term remains to be seen

I think the market may be slowing but some areas are still strong, Willagee, pretty much everything under offer and median house price for 3 bedder over 600K..... keep going you beautiful thing

Why do you think willagee has bucked the trend ? Any tecent zoning or infrastructure changes or did people suddenly clue on?

I think people don't care for the CBD as much though.

Mindarie is a pretty big hub of shops and services, there is a train line to Butler already from memory. Jindalee is growing shops wise (a year or so since I built anything up that way).

Personally I don't see the appeal either, but from a logistics side it is possibly more serviced than Ellenbrook which started years before the new north areas, with the bonus of coastal living.

Personally I don't see the appeal either, but from a logistics side it is possibly more serviced than Ellenbrook which started years before the new north areas, with the bonus of coastal living.
Way more serviced than Ellenbrook already.
Better shops, better public transport, better location.

Why do you think willagee has bucked the trend ? Any tecent zoning or infrastructure changes or did people suddenly clue on?

I don't believe it has necessarily bucked the trend its early days, though its still strong I think purely on zoning and prices in this area are still cheaper than median surrounding blue chip areas at least $150K. I have no idea how long this will continue, I could have egg on my face next month who knows, as we know markets can change very quickly:eek:

I think people don't care for the CBD as much though.

Mindarie is a pretty big hub of shops and services, there is a train line to Butler already from memory. Jindalee is growing shops wise (a year or so since I built anything up that way).

The whole "close to the cbd" thing is such a furphy.

It's based on a theory when cities were mono centric, now we have suburbs that have all of the same facilities as are available in the cbd. I think you will also find a lot of companies have recognised the benefits of having hq in the cbd are limited and it's expensive so they are relocating to more affordable areas to cut costs.

All the same facilities except the abundance of jobs of course. :rolleyes:

Let's be honest, maybe small companies find the numbers crunch a fraction more favourably, but there's a risk attached to moving outside the CBD for a major company. To be honest cost cutting is a furphy in itself, and always the first cab off the rank ideas wise.
It's not exactly new material, and rarely does it account for the true shortcomings in a business.

I do always wonder 'Why do we want to live close to the city?' constantly asking myself that question and i struggle to come up with answers especially in Perth.

Why do i say that? For a few reasons. Because as the above poster stated, facilities in suburbs are every bit as good if not better (ie: you dont actually need to go into the city, unless for work). But how many actually work in the city in Perth (Perth CBD). I barely know anyone if anyone. Perth continues to catchup in the building side, so we have quite a few tradies working all over. We also as anyone would know are considered 'the Mining City' ie youd prefer to live close to transport (planes/airport) that can take you to these mine sites because thats where quite a few work.

As i said i barely know anyone that sits in one of those mediocre sized buildings in an office in the city. I actually dont think i do. The Swan river - is pretty meh. It must look horrible compared to Sydneys harbour, Melbournes and Brisbanes river. Much prefer to live near the ocean and thats what Perth has then in the city near hussle and bussle looking at the groggiest river.

While I agree with some point made about amenities and services increasing in satellite cities surrounding the main hub, The fact is that most

White collard professionals (Legal, commercial, financial, engineering) All work in the city... these are the young double income professionals who have cash and want to buy in establish suburbs close to the amenity?s.....

We recently moved from a far flung suburb to a more central location and although initially I though the difference in distance would be fairly minimal (10 mins to city as opposed to 30min) I can tell you the lifestyle change is massive! Would never go back to living in outer suburbs again.

Lifestyle isn't just measured in terms of distance to the shopping centre or distance to the beach. It's the distance to everything else. Freo, Cott, cafes, bars, pubs, clubs, quality schools, commercial / light industrial areas and the rest of Perth where your friends might be. If you're on the edge of Perth then catching up with a friend on the other side of the city can prove pretty difficult.

I would much rather live in a unit in Shenton Park than a house in Alkimos, even with a family. Lifestyle and social options are so much greater and public transport can take you to a lot of places.

I do always wonder 'Why do we want to live close to the city?' constantly asking myself that question and i struggle to come up with answers especially in Perth.

Why do i say that? For a few reasons. Because as the above poster stated, facilities in suburbs are every bit as good if not better (ie: you dont actually need to go into the city, unless for work). But how many actually work in the city in Perth (Perth CBD). I barely know anyone if anyone. Perth continues to catchup in the building side, so we have quite a few tradies working all over. We also as anyone would know are considered 'the Mining City' ie youd prefer to live close to transport (planes/airport) that can take you to these mine sites because thats where quite a few work.

As i said i barely know anyone that sits in one of those mediocre sized buildings in an office in the city. I actually dont think i do. The Swan river - is pretty meh. It must look horrible compared to Sydneys harbour, Melbournes and Brisbanes river. Much prefer to live near the ocean and thats what Perth has then in the city near hussle and bussle looking at the groggiest river.

The suburbs offer better facilities than the cbd and surrounding inner suburbs? Not in my opinion but admittedly I'm not a bored housewife

As for how many people work in the city, last time I looked it was just over 10% of the city's working population.

I think people greatly underestimate the convenience that perth city and surrounds now offers, it has come a really long way over the last 5 years.

I honestly cannot ever see myself living more than say 7km from cbd oncd ive got kids etc and even that would be worst case scenario

Happy to acknowledge that everyone has different likes etc though

Lifestyle isn't just measured in terms of distance to the shopping centre or distance to the beach. It's the distance to everything else. Freo, Cott, cafes, bars, pubs, clubs, quality schools, commercial / light industrial areas and the rest of Perth where your friends might be. If you're on the edge of Perth then catching up with a friend on the other side of the city can prove pretty difficult.

I would much rather live in a unit in Shenton Park than a house in Alkimos, even with a family. Lifestyle and social options are so much greater and public transport can take you to a lot of places.

Totally agree

I find it a bit odd also when some people live in the middle of nowhere for "family reasons" and then spend say 2 to 3 hours per day round trip travelling to and from work, how healthy is it for your family if you're spending 15 hours a week commuting instead of with them?

The suburbs offer better facilities than the cbd and surrounding inner suburbs? Not in my opinion but admittedly I'm not a bored housewife

As for how many people work in the city, last time I looked it was just over 10% of the city's working population.

I think people greatly underestimate the convenience that perth city and surrounds now offers, it has come a really long way over the last 5 years.

I honestly cannot ever see myself living more than say 7km from cbd oncd ive got kids etc and even that would be worst case scenario

Happy to acknowledge that everyone has different likes etc though

Agreed.

Perth city does have so much to offer now (recent trips to Melbourne/Sydney made me realise the caf?/bar culture there isn't really any different any more).

From a family point of view, 15km North or South is ideal. Schools around, decent blocks and city in a reasonable distance.

I am close to that now, but East of Wanneroo rd which to me is too far from the train line, unless that NE trainline ever happens but wont be holding my breath.

Back