Perth Property Market updates

Not in Cloverdale. I have not had much interest in mine in 5 weeks. Overpriced?

Maybe or oversupply?

Looks like I have a tenant lined up for a lease end in Gwelup that's in August. An applicant that missed out on the other Gwelup villa.

On the downside I found squatter evidence in my Highgate house which had tenants move out about 3 ago. Besides a broken window and door to gain access they are classy squatters and I suspect backpackers who have run out of money judging by the snow skis, couple of pairs of euro shoes and a couple of bikes. I'll spend the day tomorrow getting it empty again and arranging security.

Yes. Oversupply could be it too. I just ran a search on re.com.au for 3 beds in Cloverdale and surrounding suburbs. 226 total results. Not good :(

Ouch. Totally different for me - only 4 houses in Gwelup for rent with 4 bedrooms. 36 in surrounding suburbs and Balga is included in surrounding but totally different market so really only 20 comparable houses.

I'd offer one week rent free to get someone in to yours or something like that.

Ouch. Totally different for me - only 4 houses in Gwelup for rent with 4 bedrooms. 36 in surrounding suburbs and Balga is included in surrounding but totally different market so really only 20 comparable houses.

I'd offer one week rent free to get someone in to yours or something like that.
Looking good for you in Gwelup. :) That's a good idea about a week free rent. I have had that up for a week. I think it's time to drop the price.

Yes. Oversupply could be it too. I just ran a search on re.com.au for 3 beds in Cloverdale and surrounding suburbs. 226 total results. Not good :(

Including surrounding suburbs doesn't really help you get an idea because the spread can be pretty large. But I just ran a search for 3 bedders for lease in Cloverdale only and came up with 30 results, which is a lot, even for this time of year...

I've got a Rivervale house coming vacant at the end of the year - not looking forward to the prospect!

I have never been to Perth but im interested in possibly buying there in the future.

What is a decent suburb these days with houses around the 400-500k mark on blocks between 500-700m2 that yield around 5%? Does such a thing even exist there?

I have never been to Perth but im interested in possibly buying there in the future.

What is a decent suburb these days with houses around the 400-500k mark on blocks between 500-700m2 that yield around 5%? Does such a thing even exist there?

something like...

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-shoalwater-119967489

or

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-hamilton+hill-119962877

heaps of choice for that money

You could buy 2 x houses in coodanup or Mandurah for that money that would yield 6-7% by the way.

Including surrounding suburbs doesn't really help you get an idea because the spread can be pretty large. But I just ran a search for 3 bedders for lease in Cloverdale only and came up with 30 results, which is a lot, even for this time of year...

I've got a Rivervale house coming vacant at the end of the year - not looking forward to the prospect!
I would rather have something in Rivervale than Cloverdale right now. ;)

I was looking at Mandurah a bit. Do people commute to Perth for work from there or is Mandurah pretty much it's own CBD?
I know people who live in Mandurah. Some work there and some work in the Perth CBD. I think there is a real mix of retirees, unemployed, people who work in Mandurah or Pinjarra and people who work in the Perth CBD.

I was looking at Mandurah a bit. Do people commute to Perth for work from there or is Mandurah pretty much it's own CBD?

both actually.

when you drive down south on the Forrest Hwy you look all around you and it's paddocks and cows, then you look at your satnav and notice... holy cow... all those paddocks are already mapped out for subdivision. That area is set to absorb bulk population growth going forward. Was an eye opener for me when I saw that. A bit distressing also because apart from the pleasant outlook that will be ruined by a sea of 4x2's, the traffic congestion will end uplike the rest of the nightmare Kwinana fwy no doubt

both actually.

when you drive down south on the Forrest Hwy you look all around you and it's paddocks and cows, then you look at your satnav and notice... holy cow... all those paddocks are already mapped out for subdivision. That area is set to absorb bulk population growth going forward. Was an eye opener for me when I saw that. A bit distressing also because apart from the pleasant outlook that will be ruined by a sea of 4x2's, the traffic congestion will end uplike the rest of the nightmare Kwinana fwy no doubt

Thanks for the comments, it's new stock supply in particular that turn me off places like Mandurah. Ideally what I am trying to do is buy a solid older home as close to the Perth CBD as possible and then stick a granny flat on it. Trying to get gross yield around 7.5-8%. Looking to spend about 600k all up to do it.

Thanks for the comments, it's new stock supply in particular that turn me off places like Mandurah. Ideally what I am trying to do is buy a solid older home as close to the Perth CBD as possible and then stick a granny flat on it. Trying to get gross yield around 7.5-8%. Looking to spend about 600k all up to do it.

ok just note tho that halls head / central Mandurah and even up thru silver sands, san remo, Madora etc are built out. new stock supply will place upward pressure on coastal and inner city values

forget about granny flats. for the cash you could leverage on a house in coodanup and get a better return with more land exposure. unless you buy someone elses GF'd house

ok just note tho that halls head / central Mandurah and even up thru silver sands, san remo, Madora etc are built out. new stock supply will place upward pressure on coastal and inner city values

forget about granny flats. for the cash you could leverage on a house in coodanup and get a better return with more land exposure. unless you buy someone elses GF'd house

As I said, I know nothing about Perth but I don't like buying in areas with a lot of new supply coming in. It probably would put some price pressure on the stuff closer to the coast but even the new stuff further out isn't that much further really. For me it's not so much about the amount of land exposure but instead the quality of it.

Just got a message from my tenant last night saying they want to break lease so they can rent an apartment in the city.

They only moved in on January on a 12 months lease :(

On the downside I found squatter evidence in my Highgate house which had tenants move out about 3 ago. Besides a broken window and door to gain access they are classy squatters and I suspect backpackers who have run out of money judging by the snow skis, couple of pairs of euro shoes and a couple of bikes. I'll spend the day tomorrow getting it empty again and arranging security.

That sucks, is it a good property?

As I said, I know nothing about Perth but I don't like buying in areas with a lot of new supply coming in. It probably would put some price pressure on the stuff closer to the coast but even the new stuff further out isn't that much further really. For me it's not so much about the amount of land exposure but instead the quality of it.

it's all about the numbers. I heard about this one, was a good deal;

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-coodanup-119847981

anyway let's get back to Perth...

Back