Perth subdivision

Hi all

Im after a bit of advise on this if anyone can help.

I have a property in the city of belmont perth. It is a corner block and i want to subdivide it into two street front blocks, retaining the original building with a reno and building on the new block keeping both properties.

for anyone who knows this council well, would i just get a full survey done and submit that to council with the upfront fee. They will then supply a conditional aproval subject to power, water, sewarage and outbuilding being removed etc? with a time frame 3 yrs i think.

- how much is the upfront fee?
- what sort of time frame?
- would it be quicker and faster to submit with building plans and get it all approved at same time? or what are the pros and cons of this .
- cost and timeframe for building permit on vacant land once subdivided?

And financially is it much of a drama to get the original block revalued after a reno and keep the same lvr, transfering the rest of the security onto the vacant land if the value comes up short?

thanks for your help.

zoning?

belmont won't allow the R40 unless both dwellings are 2 storey.

stoopid, but them's the rules.

if you're R30 you're sweet.

council won't have the power to approve the subdivision, that's WAPC. councils can only approve build stratas via delegated authority.

if you want to do that, it think it's about $1575 + $35 per lot or something, on top of your survey cost (about $800 for a good one).

i use Stuart & Craig @ Vision Surveys - 6144 0000. they have the knowledge and the patience to explain stuff when you ask questions.

hi aaron

thanks for the reply

It is r30 so just looking to build another single storey dwelling on new block.

yes i used vision surveys to do a feasability survey before purchase so will use them to to the full survey.

I just want to get the most time consuming parts done first with minimal upfront costs which i assume is the initial conditional approval. As i have new tennnts in so would like to time it for lease end which is 14 months.

cheers

conditional approval is a stat 90 days.

if your proposed lots are less than 350sqm you'll need a DA, so try and stay above that size if possible and you will speed things up considerably.

you may not have to.

just lodge with WAPC and they may approve anyway, regardless of what council wants.

ive seen very large survey strata subdivisions be approved with council wanting to defer subject to DA. a year ago, you would have needed a DA, now.....its a potshot.

seems to be part of some internal urban consolidation program, but thats just hearsay.

Hi all

Im after a bit of advise on this if anyone can help.

I have a property in the city of belmont perth. It is a corner block and i want to subdivide it into two street front blocks, retaining the original building with a reno and building on the new block keeping both properties.

for anyone who knows this council well, would i just get a full survey done and submit that to council with the upfront fee. They will then supply a conditional aproval subject to power, water, sewarage and outbuilding being removed etc? with a time frame 3 yrs i think.

- how much is the upfront fee?
- what sort of time frame?
- would it be quicker and faster to submit with building plans and get it all approved at same time? or what are the pros and cons of this .
- cost and timeframe for building permit on vacant land once subdivided?

And financially is it much of a drama to get the original block revalued after a reno and keep the same lvr, transfering the rest of the security onto the vacant land if the value comes up short?

thanks for your help.

Hi,

I recently completed a survey-strata subdivision in the City of Canning, all councils are different but I can give you indicative costs. I also used Vision Surveys, and while initially I intended to manage the job myself, a new arrival to the family meant that I opted for their project management option (~5k).

Feature Survey (Vision Surveys): $1,100
WAPC application fee (WAPC): $1,600
Survey Strata Fee (Vision Surveys): $4,200
Govt Fees: $1,950

Meeting all your conditions after that will no doubt make up the bulk of your costs, the major ones being sewerage works and excavation and these will depend on your block somewhat, though the standard fees are:
sewer works (WaterCorp): $6,500
underground power (Western Power): $1,400

Happy to discuss in more detail.
Cheers

cheers for that gooram.

It will be green title not strata so i can take that fee out. Water and sewrage run in front of property but on the other side of road(will be street front) not sure if that will make the connections cheaper or more expensive?

cheers

Western Power is $681 per unit - so if you are only adding one block then it will be $681 or so.

You'll still have Landgate fees so allow $2000 or so

I just submitted a WAPC Form 1a to get seperate titles for 2 houses sitting on 1 title.

I have paid for the feature survey and WAPC application and all water/power services are completed by builder (both houses now using underground power) and have been rented for 12+months. Are these the only remaining fees to be payable before i get my titles?

Survey Strata Fee : $4,200

Why does the Survey Strata Fee cost $4200 whereas the feature survey only cost ~ $1000?

Also I also read there are landgate fees and council fees? If so, how much are these roughly and what do they do for that money?

I just submitted a WAPC Form 1a to get seperate titles for 2 houses sitting on 1 title.

I have paid for the feature survey and WAPC application and all water/power services are completed by builder (both houses now using underground power) and have been rented for 12+months. Are these the only remaining fees to be payable before i get my titles?

Why does the Survey Strata Fee cost $4200 whereas the feature survey only cost ~ $1000?

Also I also read there are landgate fees and council fees? If so, how much are these roughly and what do they do for that money?

Did you pay the watercorp fee? Think its around 7k now.
The fee is just because they can.

Cheers

Have you had council sign off for the built strata? I think it's a BA15 form that they certify after inspection then once that is done Landgate titles can then be applied for.

No idea which govt fees you are referring to - could be landgate - could be council

A contour and feature survey is simple work - a survey strata involves dealing with impossible govt departments - it's pain money :)

Thanks all. This is getting a litle stressing. I thought this was going to be a simple and relatively cheap job. When i built 2 years ago i paid $32k for Ross North for site works and i thought it covered everything except WAPC fee and i assumed the new titles were a few hundred. Isnt it just a piece of paper?

Now im discovering that its $7,000 for a Survey Strata Plan and $3,000 for landgate titles plus meeting all the other conditions. I dont even know about this $7,000 water corp headworks fee? What does that cover?

Does anyone know where i can find these $3,000 new title fees from landgate? I cant find them.

headworks is when you add sewer and water to a property.

you wil be adding water, but if it's strata you're not adding sewer.

explanation here - calculator off to the side.

http://www.watercorporation.com.au/...ding/fees-and-charges/developer-contributions

Water Wastewater Drainage
$4,015.00 $1,347.00 $475.00

you may or may not need a dome, or a dome upgrade.

the fees for the plan are to do with the legals and preparing a deposited plan. surveyors dont make money anywhere else in their career anymore, so this is the one area they have a stranglehold on - and to be honest, i don't mind paying it because it removes the cowboys and leaves only qualified surveyors lodging titles at landgate - IMO, it's cheap insurance.

someone like me can just draw your subdivision for conditional approval. straight out subbies are $275 plus $22 per lot.

sanj detailed to me last night that WAPC fees have gone from 1600 to 2900 and the wait time has doubled at present - ludicrous. double your fee then double the wait!

I think your headworks would already be done - this is providing seperate sewerage/water connection to the rear dwelling. I would expect that if Ross North were informed you would be strata-ing that seperate headworks for everything - western power, synergy, water corp would be done.

I've never done a delayed one like you are doing but I assume the steps are the same as a non delayed one. Council need to sign off on the built strata that it complies then survey company run with it do strata plans and it can be lodged at Landgate for titles to be created and released.

Your builder may or may not have done the council certification at the end - you'll need to find out.

Thanks , its a bit clearer now. My brother (50/50 partner) mentioned something about defering water corp payment. If the new rear house has been inhabited for past 12 months then this means all sewer/water etc is connected. So would you assume there wont be any hidden fees when the plan is submiited to water corp?

Do you know where can i find a price on landgate titles? I tried the landgate website and have emailed them but i could find any fees around the 2k-3k mark.

sorry for all the questions.

Back