Perth Suburb\property selection

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. read some interesting and helpful threads here. I am looking to buy my first IP in Perth. My search criteria are as per below:

Strategy : CG
Budget : Approx 400k
Type of property : House\Unit\Townhouse\Villa (No Apartments)
Distance from CBD : Can go max 15-20km
Property condition : Not less than 10-12yrs old.

Have been searching through all real estate websites since last few days. Have not find any thing interesting. Mostly apartment like units or very old houses are available in suburbs closer to CBD.

Any changes I need to make in my criteria? Any suggestions for suburbs where I can find properties under 400k which are not too old?

I like Maylands. Close to the city/Mt Lawley and the airport and also changing from a homeswest area to one more full of younger professionals. As always, different pockets yield vastly different prices. Stick to close to the river and away from Guildford Road.

This probably rules out most of the older houses on bigger subdivisable lots. The problem is, its hard to be confident of CG on some of the new townhouses/villas unless you really look hard in certain areas, AND buy well.

Maybe Maylands/Bayswater. And south of the river, possibly Kardinya/Leeming?

I am more worried about the maintenance costs with old properties and also I am looking for some tax benefits hence trying to avoid old properties if possible. I know it is going to be difficult to find such properties closer to city !

I lived a few streets away from that street for about 7 years. That area is not dodgy to live, it's close to Kiara police station so you get a few police living in the area. The area has a lot of culdesac's and most people seem to have alarm systems, so I think that keeps crime down. Most people keep their gardens etc neat. That first pic in the advert looks like the building companies pic, you'd be better off using google maps, nearmap for more streetscape pics.

You state you are looking for CG then suggest newish units. Without starting an argument it is the land that goes up not the building on it. Unless you are the one developing and selling them Stratas are terrible investments.

You state you are looking for CG then suggest newish units. Without starting an argument it is the land that goes up not the building on it.

Contrary to population belief over which is better townhouses or house with land in relation to CG, its neither.

Land, Houses, Units , Villa, Townhouses etc etc are all just the commodity being marketed.

Its always the level of demand for the commodity in relation to supply that dictates CG!

Unless you are the one developing and selling them Stratas are terrible investments.

Strange then how my villa's & townhouses located across Australia have doubled and tripled in value over the past decade.

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. read some interesting and helpful threads here. I am looking to buy my first IP in Perth. My search criteria are as per below:

Strategy : CG
Budget : Approx 400k
Type of property : House\Unit\Townhouse\Villa (No Apartments)
Distance from CBD : Can go max 15-20km

Have been searching through all real estate websites since last few days. Have not find any thing interesting. Mostly apartment like units or very old houses are available in suburbs closer to CBD.

Any changes I need to make in my criteria? Any suggestions for suburbs where I can find properties under 400k which are not too old?

Have a look at Cannington....it ticks your criteria listed.

Just beware of the flight path as that includes Cannington. I have heard it has a bad rep for crime, can anyone confirm? A friend lives there, but he is too positive these days!

Never had a break in, the 11 years I been there. No problems with aircraft noise either.

You state you are looking for CG then suggest newish units. .

I am open to all, house preferred, but since I am struggling to find newish house closer to CBD, hence I have been looking for units \ villa \ townhouse as well they also seem to be doing well looking at the growth of past few years.

Any place from where we can get brief summary about the suburbs including crime rates? Because this has always been unknown to me unless it comes up in discussion or comments on some real estate websites.

Is it just based on experience of people living in the suburbs? As people seem to have contradictory views.

Back