Perth thoughts.....?

Antony - I do understand heat gain. East walls are all shaded by other structures, West walls look out over farmland.

Are you suggesting I not capitalize on the views?

How do I take an 8.0 x 25.5 rear loading N/S oriented block and make the shortest face of the building E/W? That suggestion requires a bending of spacetime.

I have to come up with other alternatives to make this work. Large evergreen trees directly outside the windows and large eave overhangs (750mm) allow me to get light in, capture the views and manage the radiant heat gain.

Building materials aren't exotic by any means - it's just timber framing. Roof planes to the rear are designed for solar panel installation facing North - but that's just toys, anyway.

Hi Angel - yes, the roof is vented. It would be a bit silly not to, considering the exposure!

I dont think the area attracts the lower common denominator. Moving further North thru Harrisdale shows some pretty serious coin.

sounds like you were RBC before RBC was even thought of. Kudos!

Hi Angel - yes, the roof is vented. It would be a bit silly not to, considering the exposure!

I dont think the area attracts the lower common denominator. Moving further North thru Harrisdale shows some pretty serious coin.

sounds like you were RBC before RBC was even thought of. Kudos!

Is an unlined ceiling just plasterboard (WAP) that looks like the internal ceilings?

I have no idea what a vented roof is. Does anyone have any pictures? (google images confused me)

Roof planes to the rear are designed for solar panel installation facing North - but that's just toys, anyway.

I read somewhere that they had got this wrong and the panels should face west? Would be reluctant to invest in panels at the moment given the inevitable user tax that needs to be applied upon them. I completely accept that there is a pool of less fortunate financial consumers that are being left to foot the bill for the entire power network. It's a social attack upon the needy.

Aaron - don't get me wrong. Given the shape of the block I think you have done an excellent job. I just don't think anything built on a block of that orientation can properly be called a particularly sustainable or passively performing design. When you are so far behind from the get go on orientation then building materials etc are just toys by comparison, although I don't accept such materials are any better in Perth than insulated cavity brick with two air gaps IRL anyway.

Ausprop - that solar argument is like saying I won't invest in property because negative gearing disadvantages poor homebuyers. In any case the same argument applies to people who don't use much electricity at all - the amount they pay in power bills isn't enough to maintain / pay back the cost of connecting them to the grid. There are cross subsidies everywhere in this business - just look at rural customers who cost ten times as much to serve but pay the same tariffs as you and I. It's never going to be a "fair" market - it just is what it is.

Is an unlined ceiling just plasterboard (WAP) that looks like the internal ceilings?

I have no idea what a vented roof is. Does anyone have any pictures? (google images confused me)

A vented roof is like a whirly bird or eave vents depending on how the roof is constructed.

Aaron - don't get me wrong. Given the shape of the block I think you have done an excellent job. I just don't think anything built on a block of that orientation can properly be called a particularly sustainable or passively performing design. When you are so far behind from the get go on orientation then building materials etc are just toys by comparison, although I don't accept such materials are any better in Perth than insulated cavity brick with two air gaps IRL anyway.

i can't buy into that argument, sorry.

the entire subdivision is set like this, there's no way around it due to drainage paths, access requirements and the water corp ground water monitoring stations.

your point almost leads to the idea that "oh well - it's bad - just give up, why bother? there's no way it'll perform the same."

i just can't accept that - if anything, I should be setting an example of how to make the worst possible orientation perform at least equal to a perfect orientation and no thought applied with a few smarts of mind.

but i'd like to go for better than a perfect orientation....call me stubborn.

Aus,

I read somewhere that they had got this wrong and the panels should face west?

Realistically they can face any direction and be at any angle, just wont work that well......:eek:

But to get them electrons jumpin' 'tis best they be facing "true" North at an angle equal to the latitude of their location. Even better if they could track the sun maintaining an angle of 90 degrees between the face of the panel and the sun at all times.......

And as for the design,

I think its as sustainable as it can be, given the limitations placed by the block. Deciduous trees, wider eaves, appropriate ventilation are all valid elements of passive solar design. Add to that, any additional insulation, energy efficient lighting, water tank/water efficient toilets etc and it all adds up. You could even argue the timber framing as a "carbon storage" device.......:)

My only concern is that they would be surrounded by a sea of brick & tile..........but as that's already been addressed then there is no issue.

Ciao

Nor

Aus,

Realistically they can face any direction and be at any angle, just wont work that well......:eek:

But to get them electrons jumpin' 'tis best they be facing "true" North at an angle equal to the latitude of their location. Even better if they could track the sun maintaining an angle of 90 degrees between the face of the panel and the sun at all times.......

solar side comment..

My neighbour installed solar panels on the opposite side of what was required. He didnt want to see panels on the front roof of his house... now the kicker, with the panels on the opposite side he used mirrors along the row to reflect the sun!! This guy is a perfectionist and meticulously looked after his house. every second weekend he'd be out with a string line across his block trimming hedges. And his brother is a glazier:D

musing on discussions, corner plan modified for more North light.

Attachments

• Roof Lights.jpg
    Roof Lights.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 103
Everything in area (like, everything) is 28c / 31c flat ceilings, pool-table sized backyard, 4x2 double garage, double brick / colorbond.

My pet hate! Especially the double garages.

I like the floor plan and the layout and don't mind the elevations.
Not so sure on the outer fa?ade (is that the right term)? looks a little bit too much like a 'transportable' (which I don't have an issue with - but remember that Perth is 50years ago).

I guess it comes back to cost. As you state the look of it will appeal to a different demographic - which would probably work well in the southern (fremantle) areas. However, moving to a new development when the market demographic is 4x2 (double garage) you may struggle.

Im not saying 'don't persue it', however, ultimately you need to meet the needs and wants of the market. And is the market ready for this?

If you can deliver this product at a cheaper price then yes, the market will meet you. However, if you are chasing the same price as what they can get their 4x2 (with double garage) for, then I think you may be ahead of your time.

I have a block in the northern suburbs and proposed to a builder "no garage - they can park in the driveway". He asked me if I was on drugs.

Blacky

I have a block in the northern suburbs and proposed to a builder "no garage - they can park in the driveway". He asked me if I was on drugs.

Blacky

Interesting I've seen a few places where the Garage has become an extra room (gym, entertainment etc), the cars all get parked outside

Hi Blacky - that's the thing - I'm not trying to get a 4x2 valuation with an alternative 3x2. I am aware of the valuation limitation of a 3x2 in this area and i don't think it value up any more than similar product.

But the beauty is, it costs a lot less in time and construction to do this product. That is how I generate more equity, again.

There isn't a lot of 3x2 product in the immediate area - it's predominantly 4x2. Anything that is "affordable" are those 7.5m front loaded 2x2 single garage product on 160-180 sqm - so this is really an anomalous product.

I don't think I'm doing anything to be different for different's sake - just providing a product that is in a unique location, with a park-front orientation, so taking the "green" angle there to a new level (for the area).

When you're presented with a unique opportunity, the product must be unique to meet it. It has to play on the strengths of the location. While I think "yes, it is possible to do it out of double brick", I wonder if it is necessary given the strengths of the other elements of the finished home.

For example, if you have a sloping block, design the house to accommodate the lot, zone it correctly so the split levels correlate with each other and you have a unique home. Employing a "flat earth" policy and building a standard home will yield you a standard sales result.

The position of the lot is its singing grace. I need to capitalise on this as much as possible to stay on a level playing field and let the finished product speak for itself.

The market is full of front loaded, 4x2 with roughly 4 variations of plans throughout the suburb. This is very different, and obviously so.

Just my 2 bobs worth about north orientation. I am home all the time. WHen I built my PPOR I did so specifically to get north light. Unfortuantely I did not get all the solar passive feature I wanted (including eaves not right size) due to my limitations at the time.

Must say that today, sitting here in the living room with large northern window, I am very happy that I get this amount of light and warmth every winter on a sunny day. it makes the winter bearable.

Of course I am not your target market so maybe its irrelevant but i hope I never have to live in a house without this feature.

i have a lot of windows and a door on the south and that really makes a difference in the summer.

For me, the less I can use the aircon the better (I find it uncomfortable a lot of the time.

On the plus side of your design - raked ceilings, good outlook...those are important to me. A feeling of space and seeing the outdoors adds a lot ot quality of life. My current outlook is not all that i would desire.

I am in a 2 x 2 but am surrounded by 3x2 on small lots.

Back