Perth top end

Blue Card, Hi Equity, whereabouts is "your way"?

Bluecard and I are neighbours, we both live in Koondoola.

Hi Equity is a rich b@st@rd (hence his name) living with the toffs in Kwinana.

Shame there arent more posters on this forum who have knowledge of the markets in these areas...

Give us a few more decades and we'll get there for sure. We have a cunning plan, starting with giving up these Winnie Blue durries. I've told the missus she's gonna have to give up all of those expensive Women's Weeklys and New Ideas and $ 5 coffees and $ 250 hairdos if we want to get outta Koondoola and head towards the rich areas like Girrawheen and Langford. She just slapped me, so I guess we'll be in Koondoola for quite a while. Bugga.

What is meant by "top end Perth" in this Post?

I take it to mean "golden triangle", i.e. approx city to city beach to cott then back to city, and $1m to $3m to keep things realistic... maybe with a sprinkling of south perth and applecross for good measure.

Blue Card, Hi Equity, whereabouts is "your way"?

Shame there arent more posters on this forum who have knowledge of the markets in these areas...

I'd put East Perth in that list, well the good part of EP anyway. That is north of the WACA and east of Plain st. The area around Claisebrook cove is one of my favourite parts of perth.

I'd go further than this and say its "utility" rather than lifestyle... and just part of the inevitable densification of the Perth metropolitan environment.

Most would like to have a scrap of land out the back for the kids to run around in but when that 'scrap' is in subiaco and its 500sqm of a 1000sqm block, then its worth $1m+ and thats a lot of money to have tied up just so that kids can run around on. i.e. the 500sqm that has the house built on it is far better utilised than the 500sqm of lawn. I'd be flogging the lawn off.

A large lawn in subiaco, just like a fat belly in india, is a sign of significant wealth I would say.

Ergo, townhouses.

I guess that's part of it, but when your 1000sqm costs the same as your 3 storey house on 200sqm, it becomes a choice.

I agree, I think this trend is more a lifestyle choice.

I guess that's part of it, but when your 1000sqm costs the same as your 3 storey house on 200sqm, it becomes a choice.

Of course it's a choice! The wrong choice perhaps?

Subi and Floreat are entirely different propositions.

I totally agree. Floreat is so much closer to the beach...

A large lawn in subiaco, just like a fat belly in india, is a sign of significant wealth I would say.

Absolutely my point - those with the large lawns in future are significantly likely to be more wealthy...

Guys, it's really quite easy. How much is the % of land value in these properties and how much building? Subi Centro looks nice now but in thirty years will those townhouses have the same appeal? Their current value is all in the buildings - hardly any in the land, despite its "location" and "convenience". There just isn't enough land...

Hi BC

I guess I was thinking in context of the western suburbs - eg "Subi Centro" handkerchief townhouses going for the same price as the Floreat family home on 1000sqm just down the road...

To me, that's fashion!

At the lower end, I agree the cost of new supply is a key driver. But there are still pretty decent 3x1 houses on 700-800sqm available for $250k within the Perth metro area... they just don't have the nice kitchen! But they do have a hardwood roof...

in this situation, yes i would agree 100%!

and my location is above my green dots.

Guys, it's really quite easy. How much is the % of land value in these properties and how much building? Subi Centro looks nice now but in thirty years will those townhouses have the same appeal? Their current value is all in the buildings - hardly any in the land, despite its "location" and "convenience". There just isn't enough land...

in upper suburbs, i would be looking for a max 30% house value.

not like subi centro, where it's more like 60% house value.

Bluecard and I are neighbours, we both live in Koondoola.

Give us a few more decades and we'll get there for sure. We have a cunning plan, starting with giving up these Winnie Blue durries. I've told the missus she's gonna have to give up all of those expensive Women's Weeklys and New Ideas and $ 5 coffees and $ 250 hairdos if we want to get outta Koondoola and head towards the rich areas like Girrawheen and Langford. She just slapped me, so I guess we'll be in Koondoola for quite a while. Bugga.

SLAP.......:rolleyes:

Of course it's a choice! The wrong choice perhaps?

I totally agree. Floreat is so much closer to the beach...

Absolutely my point - those with the large lawns in future are significantly likely to be more wealthy...

At what point will stop thinking about how much money you will make and start thinking about how you want to live your life?

Lifestyle choice is a different one to investment choice, and many people buying in these areas maybe have already made a little coin and are making choices based on lifestyle I guess.

I agree that most of perth thinks they want to live near the beach, not sure why since not many of them go there, but there is enough diversity here that supports the inner city living lifestyle as well.

not like subi centro, where it's more like 60% house value.

you can be selective tho BC. a 3 bedder went in subicentro (bargain) last year at a smidge over $1m. the land woul dhave to be $600-700k worth. house more than the balance. so buy in at less then replacement and with 70% land content.

I agree that most of perth thinks they want to live near the beach, not sure why since not many of them go there, but there is enough diversity here that supports the inner city living lifestyle as well.

gotta agree with this. at the beach house i can make a cup of tea and walk onto the sand to drink it. and the beach is actually worht going to. at the beachhouse i want to be at the beach, in th e city, i want to be in the city. but everyone has different motivations... if you want to blend it all into one property i guess cottesloe etc is not a bad compromise and incurs less land tax

Something to think about too is schools. Alot of people I know who don't want to go private are planning on moving to Mount Lawley because there's no decent high school around our area.

So the answer to the question "Whats happening in top end Perth?" is

People are mostly trying to decide where "top end" Perth is... some people think they live in it, but they probably dont, and the people who do live in it arent really interested in their house price or this forum...

some people think they live in it, but they probably dont, and the people who do live in it arent really interested in their house price or this forum...

Yes we have often lamented the lack of landed gentry on here... I wonder why that is?

Hi BC

I agree - I was thinking of doing a few reno's but they would have definitely taken us over the 30% threshold so gave it a miss. Anyway, Dazza and Shazza and your good self over there in Koondoola would have taken me down a peg or two for showboating down here in Kwinana so I figured I'd better keep my head down and just be happy with our current hovel.

Something to think about too is schools. Alot of people I know who don't want to go private are planning on moving to Mount Lawley because there's no decent high school around our area.

But I guess all the top end public schools would be good schools anyway!

but then there is a baby boom and many people my age are now pandering for large blocks.

Got that going on in Syd too. Everyones after the 1000m2 thanks but don't want to be out whoop whoop or pay $20 in tolls everyday to commute cos of our f'ed up state govt so properties within 30mins of town are flying.

With proper infrastructure and transport, housing affordability is not an issue.

interesting question to shift out the meaningless dross median stats...

what would 1000sqm with an ok 50's home about 10kms from the city cost in sydney?

in perth you could buy that in floreat for around $1.1-1.3m

Back