Perth top end

Just received a flyer in the mail from a hot sexy young thing trumpeting her successes in the last week. Apparently she has shifted over 12m in the last week.

• Keane St Peppy Grove (off market)
  • 16 Kathryn Cres Dally (conjunct)
  • Nedlands home (off market)
  • 22 davies Rd Dally (first week on offer)

Gordon Davies is also shifting stuff in a hurry. Big Willie is also doing plenty of deals.

Mate - I reckon you're a bit out of touch over there living in Balga. :)

my way is moving fast - there were for sale signs everywhere last month, now everything is under offer or sold - EVERYTHING.

Peet are even creating a new release.

Over my way there are a lot of properties coming on to the market. While a fair few are getting sold there are more coming on than leaving.

I have also noticed you toffs near the river seem to be getting a fair few sales but outside the extra premium Dalkieth / Peppy Grove stuff things are going pretty slow in the merely premium Claremont / Neddies / Mozzie Park etc areas.

That lovely property on the Esplanade there at Crawley got passed in for $6.1m the other day. Apparently the owners are looking for a 7 in front... I could handle living there! Terrible investment though. :eek:

I have also noticed you toffs near the river seem to be getting a fair few sales but outside the extra premium Dalkieth / Peppy Grove stuff things are going pretty slow in the merely premium Claremont / Neddies / Mozzie Park etc areas.

this seems spot on. I think my hosue i sold in subi in Feb is about the last sale there since (in the upper end of subi, apartments still seem to be moving). perhaps lower rung western burbs are struggling. the serious coin always has plenty, a house is probably spare change

out of interest... 20 years ago i thought m park was up there, it seems ot have fallen off lately. are things changing or has it always been so?

Mate - I reckon you're a bit out of touch over there living in Balga. :)

yeh grief... cheap living here and the river is nice, but lookign forward to getting back west.

do you think 1000sqm blocks will go up becuase of scarcity factor, or down because they are a pain to look after? I like claremont and subi but block sizes are more the 400-500sqm sort of set up

out of interest... 20 years ago i thought m park was up there, it seems ot have fallen off lately. are things changing or has it always been so?

I think it has just fallen out of fashion for a bit - there seems to be (relative) value there now compared to Dalkeith for example. The differential now is greater than I remember it being previously. Good value there now (for a western suburb :rolleyes:) IMO - fashions will change again!

do you think 1000sqm blocks will go up becuase of scarcity factor, or down because they are a pain to look after? I like claremont and subi but block sizes are more the 400-500sqm sort of set up

This may have been directed at Dazz but from my POV it's up, up and up. The current fashion for small blocks and new townhouses is one of the most stupid I have ever seen. You can't build a real mansion with a pool and tennis court on 500sqm! Room for the kids to run around will come back into fashion...

BTW there are bigger blocks in Claremont still - although most of them have already been rezoned and are priced accordingly...

Is this for a PPOR?

Is this for a PPOR?

only reason i would ever buy resi is to (a) develop and flip or (b) PPOR (c) I happen to already own it. so yeh a PPOR. I wont be buying for about 8 months so am a bit concerned about prices but things look ok for me for the time being.

the place we just came fro had no yard a all (just a courtyard). got 2 little ones now, may have a 3rd, so a big block is appeallign from that POV

This may have been directed at Dazz but from my POV it's up, up and up. The current fashion for small blocks and new townhouses is one of the most stupid I have ever seen. You can't build a real mansion with a pool and tennis court on 500sqm! Room for the kids to run around will come back into fashion...

Is this for a PPOR?

the "fashion" is an affordability issue, not a trend.

small 3x2DG turn key product is coming in at $170k (that's the cheapest I can get anyway) so add a land component of anymore than about $150k and you can see affordability is a real problem.

you start talking about "room to run around" and all of a sudden you need to look at 2 storey on the same lot size, cheapest turn key i can get is $250k - add that to your $150k land price and thats $400k before you've even sneezed.

it's not the land that's the issue, it's the cost of building. that's what affects the final sale price more IMO.

2 storey is revered in the market place tho (as painful to live in as they are). so a nice 2 storey on 500 or a sinlge on 1000... whats worth more?

the "fashion" is an affordability issue, not a trend.

it's not the land that's the issue, it's the cost of building. that's what affects the final sale price more IMO.

Hi BC

I guess I was thinking in context of the western suburbs - eg "Subi Centro" handkerchief townhouses going for the same price as the Floreat family home on 1000sqm just down the road...

To me, that's fashion!

At the lower end, I agree the cost of new supply is a key driver. But there are still pretty decent 3x1 houses on 700-800sqm available for $250k within the Perth metro area... they just don't have the nice kitchen! But they do have a hardwood roof...

Hi BC

I guess I was thinking in context of the western suburbs - eg "Subi Centro" handkerchief townhouses going for the same price as the Floreat family home on 1000sqm just down the road...

To me, that's fashion!

as an expert on subicentro I can comment on this one! the build price of these sorts of homes is way over and above your typical project home. this sort of living is a lifestyle choice - without children it was awesome. i sold my 999sqm of floreat dirt for $480k and spent $660k on subi. the houses are now worth about the same... so the shiny newness has worn off. There is a belief in land over building and the attitude of postage stamp blocks but I think that may be a trend in itself?? but then there is a baby boom and many people my age are now pandering for large blocks.

wierdly tho, subicentro is now being bought by oldies (was originally yuppies). why anyone in their twilight yesrs would want stairs has got me stuffed

[.wierdly tho, subicentro is now being bought by oldies (was originally yuppies). why anyone in their twilight yesrs would want stairs has got me stuffed[/QUOTE]

Me too.

I don't believe the upper end is flying out the door, unless very unique property, ie views, large land component and then again lets get real.... at the right price.

In boom times 2006 properties were snapped up within 1-7 days we aint anywhere close to this.

as an expert on subicentro I can comment on this one! the build price of these sorts of homes is way over and above your typical project home. this sort of living is a lifestyle choice - without children it was awesome. i sold my 999sqm of floreat dirt for $480k and spent $660k on subi. the houses are now worth about the same... so the shiny newness has worn off. There is a belief in land over building and the attitude of postage stamp blocks but I think that may be a trend in itself?? but then there is a baby boom and many people my age are now pandering for large blocks.

wierdly tho, subicentro is now being bought by oldies (was originally yuppies). why anyone in their twilight yesrs would want stairs has got me stuffed

I agree, I think this trend is more a lifestyle choice. People are giving up backyards for amenities. Living in walking distance to shops, pubs, restaurants transport hubs is more appealing than having a lawn to mow.

I'm one of them, and when we have kids in the next year or two, I don't know that I'll want to move out to the suburbs and give up the lifestyle we've got. When the kids need to ride their bike or kick the footy, there's a park down the road.

It's the future man!

To me, that's fashion!

Thats not fashion, its location.

Subi and Floreat are entirely different propositions.

I agree, I think this trend is more a lifestyle choice. People are giving up backyards for amenities. Living in walking distance to shops, pubs, restaurants transport hubs is more appealing than having a lawn to mow.

I'd go further than this and say its "utility" rather than lifestyle... and just part of the inevitable densification of the Perth metropolitan environment.

Most would like to have a scrap of land out the back for the kids to run around in but when that 'scrap' is in subiaco and its 500sqm of a 1000sqm block, then its worth $1m+ and thats a lot of money to have tied up just so that kids can run around on. i.e. the 500sqm that has the house built on it is far better utilised than the 500sqm of lawn. I'd be flogging the lawn off.

A large lawn in subiaco, just like a fat belly in india, is a sign of significant wealth I would say.

Ergo, townhouses.

What is meant by "top end Perth" in this Post?

I take it to mean "golden triangle", i.e. approx city to city beach to cott then back to city, and $1m to $3m to keep things realistic... maybe with a sprinkling of south perth and applecross for good measure.

Blue Card, Hi Equity, whereabouts is "your way"?

Shame there arent more posters on this forum who have knowledge of the markets in these areas...

What is meant by "top end Perth" in this Post?

I take it to mean "golden triangle", i.e. approx city to city beach to cott then back to city, and $1m to $3m to keep things realistic... maybe with a sprinkling of south perth and applecross for good measure.

Blue Card, Hi Equity, whereabouts is "your way"?

Shame there arent more posters on this forum who have knowledge of the markets in these areas...

yeh thats what i was referring to

will south perth and applecross and surrounds ever be held in the same regard as the western burbs?

Back