Perth's worst performing suburbs

An interesting article from the WA News:
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/perths-worst-performing-suburbs-revealed-20090116-7iw3.html

House values fell in more than 40 per cent of Perth suburbs in the last financial year, latest figures show.

The Landgate statistics show prices recorded no growth at all in a further 18 per cent of Perth suburbs.

They paint a further bleak picture of the once-booming residential real estate scene in the city, after Real Estate Institute figures released earlier this week showed house prices had fallen 11 per cent across Perth in 2008.

Landgate surveyed 246 properties in 232 suburbs in the metropolitan area, revaluing what acting valuer-general Kevin Di Prinzio called a typical property in each suburb.

Westminster suffered most, with the suburb recording a 15.2 per cent drop in market value, closely followed by Midland (down 14.3 per cent) and East Cannington.

Midland (20.7 per cent) recorded the largest drop in land value, while the south-east dominated the poorest rent performers, headed by Jarrahdale (15.1 per cent drop), Mundijong (12.9 per cent) and Byford (10 per cent).

East Perth recorded the largest jump in market value, at 36 per cent, while northern suburbs Kingsley (27.3 per cent), Mindarie (26.7 per cent) and Two Rocks (23.3 per cent) filled the next three spots.

Coogee (48.1 per cent) posted the largest increase in land value, largely due to new land releases, while Herne Hill (45.5 per cent) topped the list of rentals.

Rental growth was particularly strong across the city, with suburbs as diverse as Swanbourne (38.5 per cent) and Lockridge (34.6 per cent) recording healthy rises.

Overall, the average rent was up 13.8 per cent to $330, land value was constant at $440,000 and market value rose 2.9 per cent to $540,000.

Landgate acting chief executive Paul Whyte said that as the survey was based on actual valuations of a constant sample of properties, it reduced distortions that might occur when using measures such as average sale price.

Yes tell me abut it!

My Yanchep place is on at $419,000 and the cheapest 4 bedder coming off a bank valuation last year of $490,000 and has been on the market for over a year now, kept bringing the price down to meet the market but sadly there has been no market!

Well it will all go back up again. It always does.

We sold a duplex in Hocking in May 08 for $410K. If we put the other duplex on the market today we would be looking at $380K, yet the bank has valued it at $440K.

Just keep renting them out if you can :)

On another point, I thought it was a bit rough for the papers to publish the worst performing streets. How to really kick someone when they are already down. :(

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/perths-worst-performing-suburbs-revealed-20090116-7iw3.html

House values fell in more than 40 per cent of Perth suburbs in the last financial year, latest figures show.

Westminster suffered most, with the suburb recording a 15.2 per cent drop in market value, closely followed by Midland (down 14.3 per cent) and East Cannington.

Thanks for that Fezz, very interesting.
I had a look at one for East Cannington and noticed that unlike most of the other graphs, there is suddenly an enormous gap between the average and median prices for this suburb.

I guess this means that there are many more higher value properties being sold at the moment.

Have I interpreted this correctly ?

Well it will all go back up again. It always does.

We sold a duplex in Hocking in May 08 for $410K. If we put the other duplex on the market today we would be looking at $380K, yet the bank has valued it at $440K.

Just keep renting them out if you can :)

On another point, I thought it was a bit rough for the papers to publish the worst performing streets. How to really kick someone when they are already down. :(

I'm sure they would have been happy for their streets to be named if they were the best performing streets. Can't have it both ways I reckon.

Excellent info. I haven't really been watching the Perth market much. I had a property on the market at Eden Hill for last few months as other person who half owns property wanted to sell. Eden Hill is beside Lockridge and about 3 people that viewed my property ended up purchasing at Lockridge. Apparently the suburb has been "cleaned up" recently.

Fezz

You cannot get to "reports" for suburbs that are located in multiple states. For example you cannot get a report for Manly because it throws up the multiple state choice thingy and defaults back to "buy".

The Landgate statistics show prices recorded no growth at all in a further 18 per cent of Perth suburbs.

They paint a further bleak picture of the once-booming residential real estate scene in the city,

That conclusion does not follow from the two 'facts' above.

A balanced report would say:

Land values fell in >40% of suburbs
No growth in 18% of suburbs
Land values rose in >40% of suburbs

With those figures one could also say that:

Land values rose or held steady in 58% of suburbs!

Fezz

You cannot get to "reports" for suburbs that are located in multiple states. For example you cannot get a report for Manly because it throws up the multiple state choice thingy and defaults back to "buy".

Thanks for that, it should be fixed now.

I will be putting up a FAQ in a the next few days to give some meaning to the graphs. But hopefully they explain it all.

Also might produce some more graphs if I can figure out what ones I would find usefully when looking for property.

Cool it works now. But as a suggestion maybe include the postcode in the report name like "Manly 4179" so that people have confidence they are looking at the "right" Manly data (instead of it just reporting as data for "Manly").

Six years and counting for Sydney - no sign of a comeback.

mmmm, dunno if I agree with you. SYD is a big place and markets within markets as you know. There were plenty of SYD suburbs that showed greater than 10% growth in 2008......and then there were the standouts like Watsons Bay @ 94.2%, Kirribilli @ 61.9% etc.....and if you move away from the Harbour there are places like Kurrajong @21.6%, Kurrajong Hts @ 45.4%, Hurstville Grove @ 22.2% etc. even Bella Vista in the NW managed 14.2%

There are always exceptions - and one big sale can skew places like Watsons Bay, but generally speaking Sydney hasn't done much since 03. Areas that have had new housing often see the suburb average price move up, but as we all know that doesn't mean existing properties in that suburb have jumped.

Back