pessimistic sods

hi all,

I know this topic has been done before, but it has been hitting close to home for me recently....

I've got a circle of friends, all home owners, and one particular freind stands out, being so pesimistic about the economy etc that he "poo poos" all talk of investment. evertime i mention of a new potential purchase i've found or am looking at he, he says somehting along the lines, "what if you can't rent it out", "there is a recession coming", "values are going to come down", "interest rates are going up", "i (he) wouldn't buy now", "wouldn't buy there" etc etc.

Mind you though, i've bought 3 houses in the last 7 months with the view of getting another before june 30. he is still sitting on his only purchase of just one ppor - but he keeps saying the same. With proof on the table of my purchases, the values going up, secured incomes on these properties, all positive geared etc, but he still moans and complains and says i am doing it wrong.

It is a real downer too.

I guess most of us have friends/colleagues like this but what do you do? I'm not a selfish person, i share the infromation on properties i get and what i am lokng at, i am showing the opportunities but the negativity still comes in.

Its at the stage i just don;'t bring up any investment conversations at all as i know that as soon i do, the the barrage of negative comments come in, or comments similar to, "you'd be better putting the money in a bank", "there is a recession coming" etc etc.

Not talkng about potential properties though makes the pub talk very boring to me. So what do i do?

thanks

g

I find that no matter if it's property, job, cars, kids, whatever, discussions too easily turn from "lets evaluate the best and worst options" to "what I have is better than yours"

The boring pub talk is an easier option.

Reactions: weg
In a big downturn, banks go under, so thats no security
'Think "I Can" or "I Can't" and you will be right'​
that friend is the one that you can bounce stuff off, if they dont like it, +1 for the likelihood of success

Be proud, but stay sane and engage in small talk!!!

I've got a circle of friends, all home owners, and one particular freind stands out, being so pesimistic about the economy etc that he "poo poos" all talk of investment. evertime i mention of a new potential purchase i've found or am looking at he, he says somehting along the lines, "what if you can't rent it out", "there is a recession coming", "values are going to come down", "interest rates are going up", "i (he) wouldn't buy now", "wouldn't buy there" etc etc.
There it is, your friend WOULDN'T buy NOW or indeed ANYWHERE!! Don't worry about it; property investing is not for everyone and he obviously doesn't feel confident enough to buy a property for investment. You on the other hand seem to want more than just partaking of the "Aussie dream" ie. owning a home and (from your recent acquisitons) seem to be doing very nicely, so.....

Hold your head up and be proud....BUT.....for your own sanity's sake, talk about the weather (or such topics) unless you're in here (or with like-minded investors) where you can share your property information with those who will not only appreciate it, but actually WANT to engage with you. :)

Keep up the good work!! ;)

I've got a circle of friends, all home owners, and one particular freind stands out, being so pesimistic about the economy etc that he "poo poos" all talk of investment.

It is a real downer too. I guess most of us have friends/colleagues like this but what do you do?

You have to get a new circle of friends.

If you don't, you'll end up being dragged down by them. You should be, being challenged to 'come up higher' by people with 20 IPs when you only have 10.;)

Seriously...?

Yeah i was thinking of trying to get a few more real estate positive people coming to our pub chats......

Anyone want to join at the Irish pub in Dickson for Thurs or Fri afternoon drinks? Just to get a few positive vibes coming into the discussions.

g

Seriously...?

I have never been more serious.

IMO, a negative attitude, like the one g described as coming from the "friend" can do more damage than a GFC, a downturn, a credit squeeze etc ever could. It is impossible to be negative and successful, in my view.

That is not to say we don't need a healty dose of reality, or that we go around with rose coloured glasses on.......just to say that we should focus on doing & being the best we can be.

In my experience these 'negative Nellies' don't like to hang around with positive people that are achieving. They often feel threatened and withdraw on their own account anyway.

If you don't, you'll end up being dragged down by them. You should be, being challenged to 'come up higher' by people with 20 IPs when you only have 10.;)
I don't think you have to cut ties completely with your old circle of friends; after all there are obviously common interests shared that helped draw you together so why give that up??? But I'd still be looking at expanding the boundaries beyond just that circle, all the while remembering to "keep in touch" with the original group. A good mix of (old and new) friends with different interests is always a plus to have. :)

hard to fly with eagles when you are being strongly influenced by Turkeys that cant yet fly.

No one says you have to "dump" your friends, but there is good argument to spend a little more time with a different, more supportive crowd.

ta
rolf

Yeah i was thinking of trying to get a few more real estate positive people coming to our pub chats......

Anyone want to join at the Irish pub in Dickson for Thurs or Fri afternoon drinks? Just to get a few positive vibes coming into the discussions.

g

haha, I'm so there !!! I can talk property and develoment all day if you like :)

How can you base a 'friend' or a friendship on how many IPs the have? Mmaybe you don't mean 'friend's', but acquaintances with more IPs than you? Surely?

Don't know if I'd dump my friends just because they don't believe in investing or are even negative toward it. Whats next? "Hey, you don't support my footy team, you're out of the circle"

GG, you said that one friend in particular is the negative one. Perhaps, don't discuss IP's with that person, but anything else that springs to mind.

Different topics for different friends. No biggie.

Regards
Marty

That's cause most of stuff on here is rubbish or silly or just plain untrue. Plus, i'm not a sheep. I have my own views and if they don't correspond with others. Big Deal.

Most of the experienced, successful contributors to the forum have disappeared, replaced by spruikers, people selling services and newbies thinking the have just discovered the wealth in property.

That's why i rarely post these days.

As far as the initial poster goes, who cares if people are being like that. Successful people don't give a flying fig what people think or say. Get over it and get on with it mate. Travel your own road. Go your own way.

Its funny, as every time I see your name on a post I scroll down and can be guaranteed that is you disagreeing with someone. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I just find it quite funny.

As far as the initial poster goes, who cares if people are being like that. Successful people don't give a flying fig what people think or say. Get over it and get on with it mate. Travel your own road. Go your own way.

True.

If they are only pessimistic with you when it comes to your investing, then you probably should just avoid that subject with them.
But if they have that negative attitude with you about everything, then they wouldn't be a very good circle of friends to hang around, not often anyway.

Thats true. But i look at his dilemna as like when i was giving up smoking about 8 years ago. I was told to not have a beer as it would only make me want to smoke. But i was determined to give up smoking while i was enjoying a beer. To me, that was the true way to give up. And i did.

If the original poster can listen to pessimistic people (he better get used to it) but if he (and other posters) let that curtail his investing then that's his problem, not theirs. Stop blaming them and take control of your own life. You can't control other people, only yourself.

He should be able to be successful and listen to that stuff as well. Do people think that successful business people and investors avoid negative people so that they can become successful and wealthy. That's the biggest laugh i've had all week.

They listen to it, don't take it onboard (don't own it) and get on with it. Do whatever needs to be done to get there.

Its pretty superficial when you allow that stuff to affect your goals/aspirations. Water off a ducks back baby. :)

But if they have that negative attitude with you about everything, then they wouldn't be a very good circle of friends to hang around, not often anyway.

g

I would come and keep you company, but I'm not sure dragging my three kids to a pub would be good for my social image. ;)

Seriously though, maybe you need to steer clear of this topic (except occaisionally in a broad general sense) while this person is around. Some people just aren't willing to hear that anyone else has been successful in something, they take it as a personal challenge to their beliefs. And the more evedience you provide to counteract their beleifs, the stronger they will cling to them and things will turn bitter for all involved. People don't like being wrong - especially when it means someone else was right.

Not talkng about potential properties though makes the pub talk very boring to me. So what do i do?

Find some sex crazed musos and/or pilots and drink with them. :D

Our afternoon drinks never include investment discussions.

There is one guy who retired (comfortably) years ago. He is an excellent muso and has backed headline acts on keyboard. A couple of years ago he bought one of these new:

Glenn%20Schwarz.jpg

and I have no idea about his investments beyond knowing he has some shares. :)

Last edited:

Most of the really successful people I've met, don't spend every Thursday and Friday arvos down at the pub drinking squirt.

I find the phone and email usually starts to run hot about 4pm Fridays. I'd miss out on alot of business if I was down the pub.

I find the phone and email usually starts to run hot about 4pm Fridays. I'd miss out on alot of business if I was down the pub.
That's why they invented bottle shops....and who knows, you may end up doing even better deals, if you take it to go!! :)

Back