pessimistic sods

You have to get a new circle of friends.

Yes, a new circle of friends is what is required, but that does not mean dumping the old ones. You can have many friends with many interests, you know, and obviously your current group find your talk about investing either boring or uninteresting. They may feel you are bragging, or think they are helping you by telling you not to do it, or it could just be tall poppy syndrome.

I have a small group of friends that I talk about investing with. That is because they are fellow investors. Several other people know I have property, but I don't speak about it unless asked. Although I rarely speak about investing when sociallising it is amazing how many people actually do know and will ask from time to time, but they never really want details. It could just be a quick comment like "Do you still have XYZ house?" or "Aren't you scared someone will trash your house?" They don't want in depth answers either. A quick yes or no is usually enough and the topic is over.

This is one of the reasons this site is so popular. Many investors find that this is the only place you can really talk about property.

evertime i mention of a new potential purchase i've found or am looking at he, he says somehting along the lines, "what if you can't rent it out", "there is a recession coming", "values are going to come down", "interest rates are going up", "i (he) wouldn't buy now", "wouldn't buy there" etc etc.

Mind you though, i've bought 3 houses in the last 7 months with the view of getting another before june 30. he is still sitting on his only purchase of just one ppor

I would not be 'continually' talking investment property purchases with a non property investor that doesn't share my strategies/views, period.

I think it's extreme also to drop friends because they don't share the same views on the one subject :confused:.

Don't bring it up, and it won't drag you down. As a friend you must have other interests in common, that brought you together in the first place. Share those instead.

I would not be 'continually' talking investment property purchases with a non property investor that doesn't share my strategies/views, period.

Spot on. Would you be talking about any subject if the other person in the conversation was a constant drag on that point? Choose something else to talk about. For example when I'm with my mates they don't talk to me about footy cos they know I don't give a rats @rse about it, same reason I don't bring up investing with them.

When in Rome do as the Romans do........

Don't try to convert them, save them or even illuminate them- enjoy the drinks instead.

Easy to go with the crowd- harder to travel the road less travelled and it does get lonely.They tell me it is character building though!

My view- sally forth and press on regardless.

Bite your lip. Let them speak their mind as you do yours. But the moment they criticise you, just say enough to play your hand, don't let the conversation turn ugly, as if it does, people can get bitter quickly.

Your end result will show who is right. :)

Get a group of 'PI' friends that you can talk PI with all day and only talk about general things with your old friends. If your old friends start to get boring just don't see them as much. You will always come across negative people in your life, as everybody is negative at times in their life. He may be going through a hard stage in his life and may not always be like this??

PI is quite boring to most people unless they are involved themselves. Skater is right about giving people a yes or no answer when asked about PI. I have answered questions with detailed answers before and seen the other person's eyes glaze over :eek::D

classic!

mine was only yesterday - a mate and i were talking i said i was spewing i had sold my Karrinyup place - not for lack of TRYING to hold it, just because i couldn't - because the rent would have now coverted the mortgage.

he says "but if it was positive geared you woulda been hammered on tax!"

i just asked "what's your point....?"

he just gave me a blank look back.

seems some people can only see the glass being half empty.

I watched an episode of "Secret Millionaire" last night on Foxtel and the lady featured said something that really hammered something home for me, something that I have been thinking about for a while.

She had gone back to her old stomping ground in the East end of London and found out that most of the people she spoke to who didnt have much money were quite happy with their lives and their small pleasures and she had a revelation that the "problem" of these people being poor and her wanting to help them do something to become richer was HER problem, they were quite happy the way they were.

For example: My neighbours rent their house, we own ours (well 1/2, the bank owns the other half), and they pay more in rent than we do on our mortgage.

We havn't had a decent holiday since Christmas 2004, only 2 weekends away since then.

They go away with the 2 kids at least once a month and sometimes more often and they go to places that must be costing at least $500 for the weekend. And they own a brand new speed boat. I (in the past) have had a bit of a downer on them saying to my hubbie "if they cut down on their spending and lost the boat maybe they could afford to own their own home".

After seeing the Secret Millionaire episode last night I had an aha moment. The neighbours are very happy the way they are, who am I to say how they live their life is wrong?

Mind you if I ever hear any one tell me I am lucky to have what I have, I would give it to them with both barrells.

I dont know, but maybe you have too much of a "you must invest" angle when you speak with him. If he is otherwise a good friend, just leave out the investing talk.

Is their a SS meeting in Canberra you can go to?

Is their a SS meeting in Canberra you can go to?

Yes, one has just started, thanks to Snowy10 !!!
We met on 17th March and will hopefully meet again to listen to speakers and meet each other round about the middle of each month. Why dont you PM Snowy10 for details or search the threads under "Canberra Meet up"

Find some sex crazed musos and/or pilots and drink with them. :D

I'm a property investor, muso and pilot. :D

I don't agree, dumping your friends because they have different goals and ideas with regards to investments is pretty extreme. If you have other interests and reasons as to why you are friends, simply don't discuss your finances with them as others have suggested. I have a friend who is into property investing and he actually inspires me, whereas others have no interest in it so I don't talk to them about it. Some probably don't understand why I don't get my hair styled every other week, get fake tans and nails every week, hesitate at buying expensive shoes etc. I've simply worked out I can look nice without spending all my salary to do so. I can't understand how some women do this, and they can't understand how I can not do it, each to their own. We will all have differences, and if those differences cause conflict, then just don't discuss them.

As far as the initial poster goes, who cares if people are being like that. Successful people don't give a flying fig what people think or say. Get over it and get on with it mate. Travel your own road. Go your own way.

An excellent point. I have been recently reminded that this is a lonely road even if you do manage to have a regular chat with like minded people. At the end of the day, you only make progress when you make decisions and take action yourself.

Just surrounding yourself with positive people is just as dangerous as negative. You need to hear all the arguments and form your own view on risk vs reward. Your success is determined by your own strength of character, not that of the people around you.

All the rich people I know in property have forged their own path - the good thing about this property game is there are so many different ways to do that...

Having the conviction to know that is the right thing for you, and then the guts to carry it out is a great thing. It's not for everyone, some people find safety in just watching the world go by.

It's great, and often really important, to find people that you can talk to about common interests, especially when you're looking for a little bit of feedback. Doesn't mean you have to "dump" people that don't think you way - you just have to know what to say to which people. I have friends that I discuss kids with, others that I talk business with, others that I talk about the old times and so on - if you find that talking to a particular person about a topic brings up negatives, just don't talk about that topic, save it for someone that is going to get it.

Don't have someone who gets it? Find some!

One thing I've noticed is that people who are not interested in money or investing really don't want to hear all about the investments of their friends. It often comes off as bragging, even if that's not what you intend it to be. I've had to make a conscious effort not to carry on about investing around some of my friends, because I think they were getting offended.

Investment is only a small part of life. It's important to enjoy the rest as well.

Haven't been on the forum for ages but seems the same topics come up :)

I don't think you should get yourself new friends, but try to save investment talk with those who are interested.

For example, I don't talk to my childless friends about how many times my baby poops - I save that for my mothers group :)

Back