Pest Inspections and Property MAnagers

W

WebBoard

I am in the process of buying my first IP. So am very novice and green. I have bought a property in my suburb in Canberra and have not exchanged yet. The pest report revealed evidence of a white ant trail but nothing fresh and no structural damage. My first question is:
1/A more invasive inspection has been recommended (remove some gyprock)and test drill surrounding trees. How do I negotiate this when I don't own the property? Do I simply get a few quotes and take a guess at the outcome (fairly convinced there is no real problem)and reduce the purchase price of the property?
2/Secondly, as a novice, but with only 1 IP in my own suburb do I manage the property myself or use a RE agent? Is there a great source of information anywhere that anyone can think of for self-managers.

Many thanks, Jumbo

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi James

Some of the things I would consider is:

1. Request the vendor to supply you with evidence of previous pest control treatment.

2. Provide the Vendor a copy of the inspection report and state you will only exchange if the vendor paid for and supplied you with a clear pest (invasive)inspection

3. If you love the house budget on about $10K of repairs and if it doesn't need it count your blessings.

4. Find another house (Canberra is full for them)

Cheers
GregM

Reply: 2

On management- I'd be inclined to leave it to the professionals. If the tenant can't pay, or if there's a dispute about repairs- I personally would not want to get into that.

But I would, especially if it's close, try to get in on a property inspection- probably annually. I had a property in England which I had not realised was a mess- I had trusted the property managers. I lost a lot at selling time.

Reply: 2.1

I'm with Geoff on this one. Have tried to manage the property I owned next door but had too many issues with them. And being next door, it is fairly easy to get to become good friends as neighbours.
Very difficult to give the Eviction Notice should the time come to do so.

I would leave it to the professionals because frankly it is just not worth the headache. But alas, good property managers are very difficult to find. As Geoff says, many need prompting and a mandatory bi-annual inspection would be a good risk management tactic to put into place.

Cheers,

Roderick Aguilar.

Back