Peter Costello.

I bet Peter Costello regretts resigning from politics. And I sure as hell wish he was still around. He's the only bloke who should be in charge of the coallition right now. He would have resigned thinking he'd have to sit out years in opposition, but now that everyone is sick of Kev and have realised what a lunatic he is, Costello would be in with a real chance. I can't even stand Kevs voice now, completely hate the man with a passion and I dread what he could do to our economy if he stays in too long.

Turnbull was too dumb to see what the emissions scheme would do to our economy. He's obviously lost reality of the real world having been in finance and with goldman sachs.

Tony Abbott is too weird, religious and nutty. He's got offside with women. He makes too many mistakes, is too right wing and is an accident waiting to happen. Doesn't speak well. His parental leave plan, a $10.8 billion tax on business sounds like something labor would do, not the libs, and it sounds like he took it on without consultation with the rest of his party members. It's just a big new tax too. If we need a new tax, tax everyone a little, not some a heap.

Joe Hockey is a fence sitter. Not leadership material.

Costello was a clever politician. Great in parliment, a genius. Also incredibly funny.
The Business Spectator blokes think he's alright too,....

http://www.businessspectator.com.au...ics-tax-pd20100519-5KT93?OpenDocument&src=kgb

See ya's.

Totally agree TC....as did Gotliebsen today.

The Monk just doesn't know how to censor what comes out of his mouth......it's like he thinks he is on a bike ride with mates, oblivious to the head space of the rest of the world.

Joe Hockey is a fence sitter. Not leadership material.

Costello was a clever politician. Great in parliment, a genius. Also incredibly funny.
The Business Spectator blokes think he's alright too,....
It's a pity Mr Hockey is not in control i watched him on the national press club today,and now that Mr Rudd's complex bumper stickers slogan ideas are public who knows,the worst-case scenario would be they give Rudd the flick,then Miss Gillard takes control:eek::eek:. why build so many school out buildings when the fact is the need more school buildings not fancy sheds,.willair..

I have always believed that you should vote, whether you have to or not - exercising your democratic rights and all that, but I am now at the point hat I cant vote for anyone. Nationally either KRudd who I don't trust and who has reneged on promises that were important to me, or the Monk who's right wing views are so archaic he would make us the laughing stock of the world. An in Queensland we have the choice of corrupt labor or ............ corrupt labor. There is no what that mess of a 'party' the LNP can every be let anywhere near power.

Looks like its a spoilt ballot for me then

i sincerely agree that peter costello should consider a triple bypass resurrection. it was a sad day when he resigned.
on the other point; to purposefully mis-vote is a betrayal of personal responsiblity. when so many people make uninformed votes, it's so much more important for thinking people to make theirs count.

Regarding Costello - he got out at the top, which at the time for him was the right choice.

Post GFC he is probably cringing at what is happening in the political field, and yes, perhaps regrets leaving.

It was the policies Howard and Costello had in place which got us through the GFC -- not Rudd's stimulus.

And what about a winning team for these ugly times - Costelloe/Turnbull.

Abbot/Hockey are already an accident happening and if they cant release substance and stop whinging and bleating then they are history. The Press Club debacle was the last nail for me.

And not liking either 2 parties (don't hit me), I have already decided to vote Green - unless they resurrect Costelloe/Turnbull.

I must say that despite general perceived angst, I would vote for Turnbull. But Abbot/Hockey, no way.

Though if I was in the political arena, I would not want to be in power for the next 3-5 years. It is a no win situation.

And agree with you Rolph. The opposition in Qld are professionals at shooting themselves in the foot.

I have always believed that you should vote, whether you have to or not - exercising your democratic rights and all that, but I am now at the point hat I cant vote for anyone.

I reckon an informal vote is a legitimate one. If you write Pox on both your houses across your ballot you can be pretty sure that scrutineers from both parties will see it. They look at all informal votes to see if they can con the counters into putting it on their pile.

During the post mortems the fact that so many are disenchanted would come out.

Being a very strong liberal I see there no better person then Peter Costello, however he isnt a good enough sales person. He comes across too arrogant to the public. I belive he did the best thing by hiding, and feel that when the time is right he will be pushed into the seat saying oh if I have to do this i will. He is this type of guy imo.

What the public dont genrally realise is its not the leader there the salesperson its the team which backs them. I hope we back back in this october, but time will tell.

John Hewson was right

No ticker! He had ample opportunity to challenge Howard but decided to not pull the trigger. There is a degree of political ruthlessness you need to become PM. Maybe PC didn't have it. Maybe he had enough of public life. Who knows.

If Keating made the switch from Treasurer and the public's opinion of him in that role to then become the PM, then anyone can do it. The 'switch to vaudeville' is not only Keating's domain.

PC is undoubtedly, in my opinion, the best economic credentialed politician in the country. He just didn't have the political nouse to take control over the whole shebang. Shame. But in life, I have very little time to mull over lost opportunities and what ifs.

We move on and now have Swan & Hocking as the alternative Treasurer. Ugh, groan :(

No ticker! He had ample opportunity to challenge Howard but decided to not pull the trigger. There is a degree of political ruthlessness you need to become PM. :(

Maybe he just never had the numbers? I'm sure anyone looking to challenge for leadership would find out what support there was. If you don't have the numbers it's political suicide and you end up looking like a traiter.

See ya's.

As far as Abbott goes , I thought he would make an excellent union hit man , because , lets face it ...he's tough . Sort of take up where Peter Reath left off :) Just my 2 cents worth .

See ya

Maybe he just never had the numbers? I'm sure anyone looking to challenge for leadership would find out what support there was. If you don't have the numbers it's political suicide and you end up looking like a traiter.

A possible parallel could be the two-stage Hawke-Keating power struggle. Keating didn't have the numbers either when he first challenged in June 1991. He lost by 22 votes (66-44), yet that wasn't the end of it. I think Michelle Grattan astutely observed that Hawke while victorious that day appeared “mortally wounded”. Keating thereafter retreated to the backbench and tried again in December 1991. This time around he had a stronger case and was successful (56-51). The reality had dawned on Labor, that Hawke was proving electorally vulnerable because he couldn’t mount an effective response either to Hewson's "Fightback!" policies and the prevailing recession.

The feeling at that point was that Keating could do no worse than Hawke in the next election. Some years later John Howard himself believed that Labor wouldn't have won the 1993 election if Hawke had still led them (as cited in The Longest Decade by George Megalogenis).

Of course, having "the numbers" is a fluid concept, as I doubt Costello ever got to the stage of seriously canvassing his numbers or assiduously cultivating the backbench etc. One could argue that by the time Coalition started trailing Labor significantly in the opinion polls from December 2006 onwards (after Rudd became Opposition Leader), that any challenge or change of leadership was getting too close to the next election in November 2007.

One of those "what ifs?" to keep the political historians occupied.

Back