Peter Spann at S.I.G - 9 November

Bill.L said:
If a story is in your book, that you authored, how come your not familiar with it?? Did you actually write it??

I actually have a question for you as well. You mentioned(in your book) that your early loans were at 11% whereas others could get them for 7%. This was when you were beginning in the very early 90's, care to mention which year??
My recollection was that interest rates were quite high in the early 90's and didnot go below 10% until 94-95.??

bye
Hello again Bill (sigh),

Anything else you want to get off your chest on your one man crusade against me?

I did not write the client stories - struth - that's why they are client stories. Your veiled implication is, I guess, that I didn’t write the book – all publishers are required under Australian and international copyright law to identify the moral rights author – in other words the person who actually wrote the book – you will note inside the front cover that I am identified as the moral rights author. Oh, and I can't say I can remember every 109,000 words in the book.

As for interest rates - you are a bit off - by 1992 rates were coming down significantly.

The period of time referred to in the book was around this time. By the time I started standard variable rates were down to about 8% with discount rates as low as 7%.

Rates then went up again in 1994 and 95, starting to fall again towards the end of 96.

In fact I paid up to 15.7% interest on some properties I purchased.

And while I have your attention – Covered Call – why instead of supposedly cheaper strategies?

1. They are simple and easy for most people to understand;

2. When people understand they implement and when they understand they are more likely to react to negative situation with the correct defensive measure;

3. They are an easy options strategy to start with before progressing onto more complicated strategies;

4. Most clients already have shares so they can use them as a return enhancing strategy;

5. The ASX (don’t bother quoting Macmillan at me – I’ve read it) state it is the lowest risk options strategy so, we who are bound by the FSR and the ASX business rules can recommend it to clients, where suitable, who are at a lower risk profile than that required for the strategies you have so far promoted it “opposition” to them;

6. It is not the only options strategy I teach, in actual fact I teach spreads as well, but in my experience most clients prefer the Covered Call strategy;

7. A spread is only cheaper if you include the cost of brokerage on the shares. This is usually a once off cost and clients are encouraged to trade out when defensive strategies are required. This is just 1 brokerage fee. A spread requires 2 brokerage fees going in (one fee on each leg) plus brokerage on any defensive trades, so potentially up to 4 brokerages. At most the writing of a call and a defensive strategy like a roll up or out only requires 2. So excluding the share trade in the first place it seems spreads are more expensive then writing.

8. I like it better than spreads and that’s about all the justification I need.

Good luck to you Bill but what do you gain by all this effort? (That's what I can't figure out about you). It doesn't educate people - it just requires me to expend energy replying.

P.S. Just because you repeat your questions over and over again (often in different threads or words) does not mean I didn’t answer them in the first place. You may not grow weary of repeating yourself, but I do.

P.P.S. OMG – yes, I make a living out of selling financial products. Memo to self – become a monk to make Bill happy.

Sometimes I need things repeated to me many times before they sink in. And then some months later something goes click and I get it!

Thats when I have the spare time to think about things what with me phoning my mobile all the time to work out where I left it.

There is an "ignore person" option on the bulletin board, though annoyingly they don't cease to exist completely, you still see that they made a post. Curiosity would get the better of me anyway so I don't use that feature.

WaySolid

Thank you Peter for giving us your time this evening - everyone appreciated it very much.

And thanks to everyone for their generosity. I have $285 for the Salvos and $215 for Canteen:)

many thanks
ani

Hi all,

I hope everyone enjoyed themselves at Peters talk tonight.

Peter,
Firstly,my thoughts were that your client stories were written by yourself in consultation with the particular people involved.

Secondly, according to the RBA, interest rates were still pretty high in 1992, you can look here to check

http://www.rba.gov.au/Statistics/Bulletin/F05hist.xls

Standard bank variable interest rates were 12% in jan '92, and dropped to 10% by dec '92. The first time they "were down to about 8%" was sept '93 and even then they were at 8.75% and stayed at that level until they increased again in sept '94.
So yes I'll admit that my earlier statement about interest rates being above 10% until '94 was incorrect. But they were certainly that or above in the year you claim they were lower, '92.

Covered calls, Why are you dragging that up here?? If it is in response to a discussion I was having with Jerry in another thread then please bring it up in the appropriate thread. I started one in the coffee lounge for Jerry.

Peters quote

"Good luck to you Bill but what do you gain by all this effort? (That's what I can't figure out about you). It doesn't educate people - it just requires me to expend energy replying."

Actually it does educate people.

I have some responses for the 8 points you made, but I think we should leave this thread for the discussion on your talk to the SIG.

bye

Thanks for coming Peter. We had around 75 attend due to you.

Also thanks to everyone for accepting our need to check of names at entry.

Peter 147

Hi All
Just wanted to say thank you to Peter Spann for an entertaining night (as usual), :D and also to Peter and Ani for organising an event like this. Was good to be able to put some faces to a few of the names in this forum. Only met a couple of people but hopefully next time can meet more.

Regards
Marty

I hope everyone went home learning something like I did. Thank you Peter, Ani and Peter for putting it all together.

As you said on the night, Peter; Listening to your stories give us hope.

Regards,

Kenny

Thanks Peter. It was a valuable and informative evening. The drive from Canberra was well worth it
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Way Solid

I find the ignore feature quite usefull :D . While sometimes curiosity does get the better of me :eek: ) , it has stopped my from replying to posts from people on my ignore list. I recently added another one , giving a total of three.

Peter

Thanks for coming to talk last night. I think I can genuinely say that I came away with more new ideas / concepts that I will implement from your talk than I have from any other talk that I have been to. Certainly my choice of future IP's will be altered.

I thought your overall concepts / underlying explanations were inparticular worthwhile regardless of what particular type of investment vehicle one uses.

Regards

See Change

:) Thanks Peter for giving us your time and some of your knowledge about investing. Do you need to be told again? Why not! You are a legend! Thanks to Ani and Peter for organising it. (also legends) Really good to talk to a few people on the night too. :)

An enormous thanks from my wife and myself Peter. I also want to thank Ani Peter and Ross for putting all the work to organise everything.

I must apologise as I was going to hang around and say hello but my wife was feeling poorly so had to leave straight after presentation.

Cheers

see_change said:
Way Solid

I think I can genuinely say that I came away with more new ideas / concepts that I will implement from your talk than I have from any other talk that I have been to. Certainly my choice of future IP's will be altered.

I thought your overall concepts / underlying explanations were inparticular worthwhile regardless of what particular type of investment vehicle one uses.

Regards

See Change

Ditto that Peter.

Getting a big picture "helicopter" view from a master strategist was invaluable.

Many thanks for a very thought provoking presentation.

N.

I'd like to add my thanks Peter for the talk last night. Despite having just finished the $10m in 10 years book on the weekend, I still got plenty more useful information from the talk.

And thanks Ani and Peter for arranging such a great evening!

GP

thanks

A big thanks from my wife, Michelle, and I to Peter and Ani :) :) :) for organising all of this. There were plenty of interesting ideas to think about and I can foresee alot of them flowing into other threads.

Peter, again I've had laughs and ideas aplenty from your talks. It was great to hear you live again.

:D :D :D :D

Jireh

Thanks Peter, the talk was fantastic - 2 hrs without a breath covering a multitude of topics and giving encouragement to us all.

Also Ani well done for the organisation of this.

Thanks

Thank you Peter for making the time in your busy schedule to give the presentation (done perfectly without powerpoint slides, audio or anything - the first Peter Spann "unplugged" show I have seen :) )

Many thanks to Ani, Peter147 and all others who organized the evening.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Thanks

Ani (and others who assisted) - thanks for organising last night and taking the time to draw up questionnaire, 10/10 for guest speaker.
Peter - thanks for an informative, interesting.......and entertaining talk. Same time and place next month?????????????????????????? ....we wish!

It was great to see so many people there last night…….it was a fantastic success!! Thanks also to everyone for making us interstaters so welcome.

Ani and Ross deserve the biggest thanks for the efforts they have put in for so long trying to make SIG a success. Last night was worth all the hard slog.

We are fortunate at Somersoft to have such a wonderful community spirit, and its great to meet up with like-minded people and share ideas and thoughts. I hope all the people there last night give their full support to Peter147 as he takes over the reins……it was great to hear some of his ideas for the future. I might have to make a few more trips up.

The small core of SIG regulars are a great bunch of people, hopefully everyone that was in attendance last night will make it along each month..…….you wont be sorry.

Ruby :)

Back