Pets Declined

Your Lot, Strata's rules. Simple really.

KaPow, how many people would say they have a nice indoors cat that they want to have live with them that ends up spending half the day wandering around all the other units. I can see why the allergic person might be opposed to the idea. I have a brother in-law that is allergic to cats. It's not a nice condition, I wouldn't wish it on anyone and I certainly wouldn't put him in a position where my actions resulted in him being effected. Please don't think it is your right to have a cat there, it certainly isn't.

Sure, but if it was wandering the halls they would have every right to remove it. If you read my posts I had also been told they have had them and turn a blind eye to it- so basically the honest responsible pet owners who do the right thing finish last. Fanfreakingtastic.

I have several friends of mine who are allergic to cats and unless they are in my unit there is no problem. Simple really.

If it's not interrupting the peace, privacy and comfort of their living, I think it should be my right. How is it fair that three people, actually two as one said yes, out of twenty three units have that right? argue with it all you like, but it's still unfair. I am paying for this place, I wont be renting it, I believe I should have the right to do what I like between my four walls if the above isn't affecting anyone.

Doesn't every unit owner on a body corporate have a vote? If so, can you get a general vote. You might find other owners wanting to have a cat who will vote your way.

mate - bugger it.

we were renovating our unit and the little 50yo lady across the way came over preaching about her right "tot he quiet enjoyment of ther property" - clearly reading straight from the book there.

i told her i won;t be long, and if it weren;t to the dodgy removations done previously we wouldn;t be making so much noise.

she asked us to "immediately cease and dissist all works" - exactly that wording - so clearly she's done this before.

so i brought her inside. i showed here a hole in the wall where the kitchen used to be, the exposed brickwork and plumbing with wires hanging outta the wall and asked her if she would like to do it for me - because to "immediately cease and dissist" would leave us without adequate cooking and hygenic standards as set out under the Building Codes of Australia.

she didn't like that one bit and sent it to our Strata Managers who immediately sent out a brief and curt letter demanding to know what was happening as far as renovations to the unit after "several complaints".

i wrote a letter back stating that under the strata by-laws any and all renovations occuring within my lot boundaries are of no-one else's concern as long as neighbouring units are not adversely affected by the works. our working hours were from 7am to 4pm monday to saturday as per City of Stirling's Health Department guidelines and as such, we have no onus whatsoever to provide any information requested by them.

never heard back from either party, and we finished the reno's in peace.

point being, KNOW the rules. rules only tell you what you CANT do, not what you CAN.

NO PETS could mean NO PETS THAT ADVERSELY AFFECT ADJOINING PROPERTIES.

the onus is now on the strata company to prove your pets have an adverse affect.

And the problem is just mayby the 50 year old lady needs some luvin, but knowing your rights gives heaps of confidence, i got 100% in the law section on my builders lic and it removed alot of fear during the early constructions,because i knew my rights and obligations, so yes know your stuff!

This post brings to mind the problems neighbours can be. We have one house that we had a couple of "problem" tenants in a row. Nothing too drastic, but tenants who argued late at night, made a little too much noise. Each time, we didn't renew leases etc and in the case of the last problem tenant, we had them evicted.

The problem was the neighbours would not approach the tenants or call the police, and I understand that with the last tenant, they were afraid the tenant would target them, but it did make it hard to have them evicted for "quiet enjoyment of the neighbours" reasons and we had to wait until they breached the lease in another manner, which they did, but it took longer.

This was a couple of years ago, and we have had great tenants since, so happy neighbours. But I know they would prefer that we sold the house so they could have "owner occupiers" and not the lucky dip that living next to a rented house can be. (We know it well, as we have the same lucky dip next door to our house.)

Funny thing is, as we were leaving the house last night, having just signed up new tenants, mum commented on the loud piano music coming from one of the houses where one of the unhappy neighbours lived. She commented that if it was our tenants making loud piano practice sounds, the same neighbours who were making the noise would be on the phone to us complaining about it.

I know piano music is not the same as arguing tenants, but one man's music is another man's torture.

I just think it is a bit hypocritical for people to complain about a noise they may not wish to hear, but then allow their kids to practice piano scales endlessly, and loudly.

Anybody with me?

I notice allot of people generally getting frustrated and can't wait to lash out for any reason, things blown out of perspective type of thing! i remamber two subbies arguing on one of my building sites as it turned out wheni interveined, they were talking about somthing worth $6 and i segested focus on real issues.
I also blame the high interest rates for that too!

If you were an owner already you could call an extraordinary general meeting, but because you cant, approach the body corp. and see if they will send out a vote to all owners. The problem you have in a complex is most of the committee consists of the owner occupiers, they can be hard to convince. These rules were introduced to try and create some conformity within complex living. Its a cat today, tomorrow it may well be that the little dear from across the way wants to paint her unit pink on the outside! :eek:
I just recently herd from a PM that is dealing with a similar case, but it was the selling agent that said no problem dont worry about it just buy the place. Now its causing dramas.
Also remember that you will be living there for how many years? Do you really want to live in a place where, if your cats do get approved, the neighbours dont want to talk to you? have resentment towards you.
You may have fallen in love with the place but maybe you have to think of somewhere different.
Unit complexes in my view are created as investment vehicles, tenants in, tenants out. Now that housing affordability has dropped they are becoming a lot more popular with owner occupiers, creating friction. There will be more of this to come yet. Do you want to live with tenants in and out all the time? Complex living is not like having your own house.

Good luck

I just recently herd from a PM that is dealing with a similar case, but it was the selling agent that said no problem dont worry about it just buy the place. Now its causing dramas.

Also remember that you will be living there for how many years? Do you really want to live in a place where, if your cats do get approved, the neighbours dont want to talk to you? have resentment towards you.
You may have fallen in love with the place but maybe you have to think of somewhere different.
Unit complexes in my view are created as investment vehicles, tenants in, tenants out. Now that housing affordability has dropped they are becoming a lot more popular with owner occupiers, creating friction. There will be more of this to come yet. Do you want to live with tenants in and out all the time? Complex living is not like having your own house.

Good luck

See this reason is exactly why we wanted to do things by the book. I didn't want to be in a similar predicament.

As we were declined a second time this afternoon-after we submitted our plea in writing, we insisted on them explaining the reasons as to why, rather than their first response of just plain NO. So they did- the main reasons as I expected, were allergy man and the other just wanting to keep the rule due to past bad experiences with tenants. They are apparently going to try pass the strict rule of no pets at the next meeting. So I guess that is that. I have cooled off a bit now, and I know one day I will be grateful it panned out this way....I have already taken alot from this experience.

As I said before, it's just frustrating as half the point of owning our own property was so we could enjoy living comfortably without going through the drama of sneaking around with our pets. I have been through this headache before in rentals and it's horrible- I never considered the fact it would be just as hard to buy....ideally I would like renovate, rent it and move on to bigger and better things, like houses;)

No complex living is not like having your own house!!! If I could afford to buy a house in Sydney rather than a unit first up I would in a heartbeat!! Unfortunately as a stepping stone it will need to be a unit:(

oh and the REA didn't return our call all day, but did send us a text:rolleyes: to say someone else has put in their offer.

Get on the body corporate.

They are always looking for new warm bodies. Then YOU make the decisions. And you can cut side deals with the other body corporate members if you have to - if you let me have my cats Ill approve your shutters.

hello,

surely a BC/owners corp cannot over-rule the right to have a pet,

a BC is for "common areas" not what you do inside your unit

has the rule been submitted to the strata plan no. with land office? many rules are just typed up and handed out and that taken for gospel,

get onto BC quick smart if not on strat plan no.

thanks
myla

Just take em

Look, just take the cats with you. It is really hard/near impossible for a body corp to get and owner occupier out based on pets... who is to know at the end of the day.
Can't stand body corporates, lots of people with nothing better to do much of the time!!!
Enjoy your new home and tell them to get something decent to worry about.

Just tell them you cats are trained to use the human toilet (it is possible and mine are - I have 2 in a 1 bedder apartment) - no smells, no litter, no probs. Tell them also that they are both really timid and would rather hide under the bed than make a nuisence of themselves.....

Back