Phobias

On the food example, if I dropped an apple into a rubbish bin - would I fish it out, wash it and eat it? There was a time I would never do it - these days gotten over that one.,,,, as long as it is straight away!!

The Y-man

Good on you for getting over it The Y-man. Just wondering whether it's something you really needed to work on, though?
Being a foodie, I've had to work on not getting stuff out of the garbage - chocolate etc that I've tried to get rid of :eek:

I almost choked to death on 4 March 1982. (I was all by myself)

Since then I've had a fear of choking.

Some foods I still can't eat, if I'm by myself.
I need to chew my food a lot....

i never used to have any fears, but ever since my eldest son (4 y/o) was born i have been really weird with insects. The thought of touching them makes shiver and almost nausious, i have to get my wife to kill cockies or spiders.

i have a zero concerns about eating gross stuff, so sign me up for a thousand or two for the soggy food on the floor.

I fear people finding out what I fear then using it to their advantage or against me for whatever reason, even just as a joke.

I agree totally with this. I confided to my wife my phobia and she just doesn't get the difference between a strong dislike and a phobia. Most people would find my phobia ridiculous but the intensity of the phobia is way beyond just being scared of something. Snakes, spiders whatever I couldn't care less.

My phobia impacts on my life and is really not good. I can't even rationalise it.

Surprisingly, no. But it does include starting guns, party poppers and exploding fireworks (or any kind of explosion-like/sudden popping noise).

Reminded me of this.......

The Y-man

Attachments

• MisslePopBagSurprise.jpg
    MisslePopBagSurprise.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 58
i never used to have any fears, but ever since my eldest son (4 y/o) was born i have been really weird with insects. The thought of touching them makes shiver and almost nausious, i have to get my wife to kill cockies or spiders.

I'm ok with most insects with the exception of:

Silverfish - hate them with a passion. If I find they have been wondering over my clothing, in the wash it goes! Surprisingly less worried about cockies.

Moths - a bit annoying - particularly if they jump into my tea and leave a nice film of wing scales

Papilionoidea larvae of the hairy kind

The Y-man

In Canada, I'm only scared of bees, wasps, hornets etc..because they ALL sting.
Our spiders, snakes etc...are harmless.

In Australia, I'm just starting to be wary of insects, because while riding in the van this year, a tiny insect landed on my arm. I picked it up to throw out of the window, and it was like it burned my finger..it felt like fire, and it hurt for the next 30 minutes.

Where we stay in NT, there was a tiny little snake on the pathway...and I stopped to look at it..Rob got upset, and told me to get away, it was a tai pan.

So I'm still learning ...and whenever I see a spider in the house, I call Rob, and ask him if it dangerous...to me they all look alike.

Up until a few months back I had a phobia of driving. I'm still on my learners (at 33) Having lived in London until 25 and Brisbane I managed to put it off but nearly 2 years of being in Perth enough is enough and I have my test booked in for next Monday. :eek:

I'm not sure why I have this phobia. I don't think I'm scared of crashing and hurting myself but more so of hurting others by mistakes I make on the road.

Is there an opposite of a phobia?

Ppl often ask what I am scared of ("everyone is scared of something") and I honestly can't pin anything I am scared of.
I dislike heights, but I used to do a lot of rock climbing and abseiling. I am looking forward to my first skydive and learning to parasail.

In fact my 'fight or flight' trigger is very low. Very rarely do I 'jump' at a loud noise or 'fright'. I have been rushed by a number of sharks and afterwards my mates laugh at how it 'looked' like I calmly just push them away. In reality, I do just calmly push them away. I feel very little 'jolt' of adrenalin.

I quite enjoy adrenalin sports. Maybe I need that in order to stimulate my adrenalin, and give me that much needed 'hit'?

I know a lot of people are genuinely scared of certain things (obviously different to a phobia) and I really struggle to understand that sense.

Blacky.

Is there an opposite of a phobia?

Ppl often ask what I am scared of ("everyone is scared of something") and I honestly can't pin anything I am scared of.
I dislike heights, but I used to do a lot of rock climbing and abseiling. I am looking forward to my first skydive and learning to parasail.

In fact my 'fight or flight' trigger is very low. Very rarely do I 'jump' at a loud noise or 'fright'. I have been rushed by a number of sharks and afterwards my mates laugh at how it 'looked' like I calmly just push them away. In reality, I do just calmly push them away. I feel very little 'jolt' of adrenalin.

I quite enjoy adrenalin sports. Maybe I need that in order to stimulate my adrenalin, and give me that much needed 'hit'?

I know a lot of people are genuinely scared of certain things (obviously different to a phobia) and I really struggle to understand that sense.

Blacky.

I worked with a guy who could never be startled...he had one speed...slow.
He never talked fast, walked fast, or worked fast....is this the same for you?

There's a paranoia thread? :eek: Where? Why didn't I see it? Are people talking about me? What are they saying?!?!

:p

:D

Must admit I don't take advantage of the lovely ocean for swimming as I worry about what's in there waiting for me. Stupid really I know but comes from growing up when the Jaws movies were out, and made worse by the odd report on the news. Not sure if it's a phobia but not sure if I could ever swim happily in the ocean without worrying.

I agree totally with this. I confided to my wife my phobia and she just doesn't get the difference between a strong dislike and a phobia. Most people would find my phobia ridiculous but the intensity of the phobia is way beyond just being scared of something. Snakes, spiders whatever I couldn't care less.

My phobia impacts on my life and is really not good. I can't even rationalise it.

Interesting...now I'm wondering what it could be! :D

I'm really struggling to differentiate between phobia, anxiety, and severely dislike. :confused:

Back