Phone connection?

Hi,

I'm just in the process of having my PPOR turned into a rental. I have a 3 year old house that does not have a phone connected. There is a line in the ground (from the house to the letterbox) and requires Telstra or a contractor to connect it to the network via going under the footpath to the power pole.

I've never needed a land line so I never got this done. I've got a mobile phone which has always served my needs.

However, would I be required to pay to have this work done to enable a tenant to get a land line if they wanted one?

I haven't asked my new PM yet about this, just wanted to get some advice here first.

Thanks
Sue

There is a pipe that runs from the house to the edge of the street. Surely that is all I'm supposed to provide?

I don't know which phone service the tenant wants to go with (assuming they want a landline) so am I expected to pay the connection fee? I understand from Telstra it is about $299 but not sure what Optus charges.

Just make sure your future tenant is aware that there is no phone landline connection to the property to avoid arguments later.

Check with the appropriate authority. We had an issue with a tenant who complained that one of the phone extensions wasn't working. PM checked and in Qld we are obliged to supply only one phone connection.
Marg

The law is that the landlord must provide all essential services for a tenant giving the tenant the ability to connect utilities in their name.

You need to provide the facility to have the line connected but the tenant is responsible for initial connection fees including the standard line connection for a new line $298 I think it is as well as any usage.

This is stated within consumer affairs and tenants union fact sheets on utility connections.
Link below- :)
http://tuv.org.au/articles/files/resources/utility_charges_RT_FS_052010.pdf

First time activation of a line is $299 subsequent is $59

Generally only the latter is tenant responsibility.

Thank you for the info elsLan, that is very useful information. So if my PM or tenant objects then I will show them this fact sheet.

It is correct it will be around $299 (according to Telstra) as it will be the first initial connection so I will be asking my PM to make sure any potential tenant is aware of this.

Thanks!

Thank you for the info elsLan, that is very useful information. So if my PM or tenant objects then I will show them this fact sheet.

It is correct it will be around $299 (according to Telstra) as it will be the first initial connection so I will be asking my PM to make sure any potential tenant is aware of this.

Thanks!

To be on the safe side, ensure this is written on the lease and signed off by the tenant.
Marg

First time activation of a line is $299 subsequent is $59

Generally only the latter is tenant responsibility.

We've just done an installation and Telstra also require a minimum three month line rental contract.

We thought about going phoneless given that most people use mobiles most exclusively however phone lines can still be useful for internet connections.

There is generally the expectation that there is a phone line connected to the premises, whether it is used or not is up to the tenant however triple zero calls can be made from this service even if not connected.

The initial connection cost of the service is reimbursed by the lessor as the service remains with the property ie. the tenant can't take it with them. If you don't have a phone service, the tenant cannot get broadband/adsl.

There is no requirement for the lessor to pay for a foxtel installation as this is not an essential service.

I emailed my property manager about this and got the following response:

"As for the phone line, thanks for letting me know you have not yet connected this. However, this is a landlord's responsibility to have the line initially connected if there is a phone point present inside the home. Usually with this, we will advise the tenants that they will need to arrange for initial connection which is $299 and ask the landlord to reimburse the tenant with $240 of the initial connection upon the tenant's first phone bill. This is because, normally connections is about $60, it is only the initial connection that is $299. I hope this makes sense."

I popped into CAV (I work in the same building) and they could not find anything in the tenants guide or in the relevant section of the Act where the landlord is to reimburse the tenant!

Only the tenants union of victoria had a section where it says it its the tenants responsibility for the initial connection fee and to negotiate with the landlord.

So who is responsibile?

However, this is a landlord's responsibility to have the line initially connected if there is a phone point present inside the home.

You (LL) are responsible for it.

If there was no phone point in the property you may have had an argument under previous fact sheet provided by OP, however, if a phone point is present there is an expectation from tenant that it is connected.

Just do it and move on. (nb: tax deductible)

Not only tax deductible, but more attractive to future tenants. If the first tenant does not connect, you will have this issue each time you rent and it will make your property less attractive to prospective tenants who will be comparing available properties.

I would second your PM's recommendations, ie, reimburse if the tenant connects. The $240 is tax deductible so your actual outlay is not great.
Marg

"As for the phone line, thanks for letting me know you have not yet connected this. However, this is a landlord's responsibility to have the line initially connected if there is a phone point present inside the home. Usually with this, we will advise the tenants that they will need to arrange for initial connection which is $299 and ask the landlord to reimburse the tenant with $240 of the initial connection upon the tenant's first phone bill. This is because, normally connections is about $60, it is only the initial connection that is $299. I hope this makes sense."

That is the way I have always done it. The $240 is a once off cost of connecting the line physically.
Otherwise the tenant would have every right to rip it out when they leave:D

Back