Phone etiquette in modern times

Why can't people type their name at the end of text messages to my mobile? I got about 3 messages wishing me a Happy New Year and I've got no idea who they are from, even if they were meant for me!

Lazy, I say.

Sorry for another petty rant. I feel better now.

Last edited:
Why can't people type their name at the end of text messages to my mobile? I got about 3 messages wishing me a Happy New Year and I've got no idea who they are from, even if they were meant for me!

Lazy, I say.

Text back and say "thanks, but I have no idea who sent this" or similar. It must be someone not in your phone book or it would say who it is from.

I would find it perplexing too.

Text back and say "thanks, but I have no idea who sent this" or similar. It must be someone not in your phone book or it would say who it is from.

It happens to me too sometimes. I ignore them, rather than waste time/money trying to find out. This reminds me how I used to be addicted to *10# (finding out the number of the last missed call to my landline). It was so great once I got over it, and now I'm not at all curious and never use the service.

Lazy, I say.

You should feel fortunate that people even bother to contact you...unlike me who gets nothing. (sob)

I often wonder if I need a mobile......

No.

But, they are good if you break down in the middle of nowhere. ;):D

Want to really upset a young techno kid?
Walk into a mobile phone shop and tell them you just want a phone that makes calls.
Marg

If they're not in your phone book they are probably not important.
It will have been one of those annoying bulk messages people send to everyone they know anyway so don't sweat it.

I've just bought myself this great little book....
'Don't sweat the small stuff' - Richard Carlson. ;)

I have this book and the follow up book... "its all small stuff".. or something like that. You have reminded me to dig them out and re read them, i think i might pass it around the office and relax the crew.

Lazy, I say.

I am like you and put my name at the bottom of my texts!!

But they probably assume their number is in your phone book and will be displayed!

Regards Jason.

Peter! That was the second part of my rant but I deleted it.

Me: "Hello?" battling kids/serving dinner/breaking up a fight

Caller: "Hi Casserole, how are you... blah blah blah blah blah....."

I'm not listening by this point, I'm thinking 'Who is this??' I find it really rude and quite arrogant. A real time waster, because I then have to butt in and say "Who's this?", and then they have to start all over again.

Also we have friends (?) who put on silly voices and usually it's fair to say I'm NOT in the MOOD.

Hang up!

I hate it when people call me and say, "Hi it's me", without identifying themselves. It's even worse when they start playing games with you.

Hang up!

Caller: "Hi Casserole, how are you... blah blah blah blah blah....."
Also we have friends (?) who put on silly voices and usually it's fair to say I'm NOT in the MOOD.

Hang up!

Honestly, if they can't be bothered identifying themselves and you're not in the mood, don't waste your time on them.

Maybe it's just my lazy personality, or my valuing my time, but if someone did that to me they wouldn't even get the pleasure of me saying "I'm going to hang up now". It'd be without warning :)

Took me ages to get the hang of texting. Now I have got the hang but it is always full sentences with punctuation.

I agree about those messages without a name :-( It is frustrating.

I find texting tedious but a good thing in that I don't have to talk to the person. I can't for wait a voice activated text function to become standard :eek:.

Back