Phones - land line/mobile

Curious, do most here on SS still have land line phones, or just mobile..?.

Why would you keep your land line?.. Looking at pros and cons to this

Thanks

MTR:)

i rarely use the landline on forms for home.. I have to look it up every time. I reckon i reference the landline at home say 2-3 times a year?

I have a landline for the fax, even though I rarely use it, those online fax services charge north of $20 per month!! and my line rental is not much different

For landline call quality is generally a lot better, (particularly for business grade VOIP / HD voice) and more comfortable for longer conversations.

When at home would always use landline over mobile, not too mention risk of frying your brain. Even if the jury is out on health risks, landline is still the safer option. If there is a health risk for mobile it is proportional to prolonged usage, so less if better from marshalls law.

I investigated dumping my land line rental but keeping my ADSL. In the end there were some things that bothered me about going down that path. I ended up bundling for a great deal but I don't make land line phone calls.

ADSL only (no land line) can be cheaper but there are some competitive bundles around so always shop around.

Just got NBN on Fixed Wireless (and we are back blocks bushy) and home phone works wirelessly over NBN. Landline now defunct.
Works much better, sounds clearer and free national calls.

That copper wont last forever.;)

I gave up on internet plans delivered over fixed lines, just use the hot spot on my mobile, works great and it goes with me if I am away for the weekend, waiting between school pick ups, in town at a meeting etc.

Mobile only for calls ... landline slowly getting installed for internet only - sadly rural so no naked ADSL available

I have a landline for the fax, even though I rarely use it, those online fax services charge north of $20 per month!! and my line rental is not much different

TMNT ... have been using efax.com for years at $30 per quarter aka $10 p/m. They give you a fax number and they send an email with the fax received as a pdf. You can also log into their website to check faxes and send faxes (just can't send faxes to 1300 or 1800 numbers).

I found it the best thing ever as I worked from home alot and on the road and the fax was in the office.

The good old faxes are almost redundant now though with just about everyone having scanners these days.

I have a phone line with nothing plugged in, came bundled with my internet. I have 100 megabit cable from Telstra so run a VOIP service off that for calls, both direct to internet and to office pabx.

TMNT ... have been using efax.com for years at $30 per quarter aka $10 p/m. They give you a fax number and they send an email with the fax received as a pdf. You can also log into their website to check faxes and send faxes (just can't send faxes to 1300 or 1800 numbers).

I found it the best thing ever as I worked from home alot and on the road and the fax was in the office.

The good old faxes are almost redundant now though with just about everyone having scanners these days.

cool, thanks for that, I might have a look at it, Iagree, in this day and age, having bits of paper floating around for faxes does seem a bit fred flinstone

edit: just had a look $16.95 per month, how did you get $30 per month

I like it how it has 150 pages included receive and free,

id send one fax per week at the most!

I haven't had a landline for 6 months. I don't really miss it. Have a mobile on $30/month plan instead which includes cost of phone and internet. I usually go over usage by about $10/month. Also have wireless internet.

I haven't had a landline for 6 months. I don't really miss it. Have a mobile on $30/month plan instead which includes cost of phone and internet. I usually go over usage by about $10/month. Also have wireless internet.

I am on an unlimited sms and talk for $30 per month with only 2gb data,and I use wifi at home, so that takes care of my phone needs :D

Thanks

MTR:)

Interesting you brought it up - no landline since 2007. Signed up for Optus's $90 Unlimited Cable plus phone about 2 months ago (I was previously on their naked 200Gig Cable). Since the phone lined came in with the deal and I didn't want their fetchtv deal, took it anyway.

Purchased a fire sale Telstra 4 phone for $46 from Harvey Norman, just use it to call friends and family for free. Before that we were always on mobile...can't be a good thing health wise?

cool, thanks for that, I might have a look at it, Iagree, in this day and age, having bits of paper floating around for faxes does seem a bit fred flinstone

edit: just had a look $16.95 per month, how did you get $30 per month

I like it how it has 150 pages included receive and free,

id send one fax per week at the most!

Sorry...try the .au on the end efax.com.au.

Website says $12.95 per month. But I pay $29.95 per quarter guess because that is what it was when I signed up years ago. They have never increased the price on me.

Back