Photo software

Anyone got ideas about what is the best software for photos? I currently use Picasa by Google which is free but would be happy buy software if there are better systems around. Don't need anything complex, just basic cropping, red eye reduction and good storage... I take a lot of pictures of the kids:)

I tried photoshop x2 on a computer with limited resources- it was a huge download and huge in used resources. I uninstalled it very quickly.

Microsoft Office Picture Manager came with MS Office. I use it for cropping, resizing and dimming/lightening.

Irfanview is great, especially for doing the same operation on a lot of pictures at once- renaming, resizing, rotating, adding text etc. Cropping is slightly easier for individual pictures than MSOPM. But I don't like the results of the automatic adjustment.

I don't know if either does red eye adjustment.

For Paint Shop Pro see Wikipedia. I found this comment disturbing, though I don't know how accurate it is:
Versions XI and X2 install a third party program named PSIService.exe, listed under Windows services as ProtexisLicensing. Written by Protexis, this runs in the background and collects licensing information. This program communicates with a remote host[citation needed] and is described in some posts as spyware. The Corel EULA does not reveal that installation of Version XI or X2 will result in the installation and continued background execution of this non-Corel program. Uninstalling XI will not uninstall PSIService.exe
(And I have found PSIService running on my computer)

I've been a long term user and advocate of Jasc Paintshop Pro. Though it costs as it has tried to be the poor cousin to Photoshop for years. It is good for batch operations and a has a lot of high end features.

Adobe Photoshop would be overkill for you stated needs.

Acdsee was one of the best photoviewers for years, but has progressively got more bloated. It's photo editor is run of the mill. but would do everything you want.

Irfanview being free shames these other guys.

I have only used it from time to time as I have older versions of Acdsee and Paintshop Pro installed. And from what Geoff said I am unlikely to upgrade anytime soon.

Gday Steve,

Agree with Photoshop being overkill, it takes quite some time to master it, I use Macromedia/Adobe Fireworks which may still be a bit much but I began with Microsoft Photo Draw. It's real easy to learn is fun and has most of the features used by the non professional.

Sorry I can't vouch for the link, I just did a quick google search but it's very cheap in comparison the Photoshop.

Cheers,
Beef

Thanks Sue & ger
Can you tell me a bit more about Photoshop? I have never heard of it... Is it this one from Adobe? If so, I will download the free trial when I get home...
Steve

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/

Photoshop is the industry standard for digital imaging/processing and is used by professionals from photographers, graphic and industrial designers etc. It's comprehensive and complete with solid support (plugins etc.) for what ever you want to do graphically... by that nature it's also quite complex.

Adobe also have Photoshop Lightroom which a friend of mine whose a budding photographer uses. It's probably more similar to Picasa in look and feel..

Lightroom is great.. but its more for photo developing and post processing.. i.e using RAW images and preparing them for print. primarily aimed at the photography types rather than a home user that want to crop, sharpen and take out red eye.

You might also want to just use the software that comes with your camera? I found the one that came with my canon was fantastic for out of the box stuff.

Photoshop is the industry standard for digital imaging/processing and is used by professionals from photographers, graphic and industrial designers etc. It's comprehensive and complete with solid support (plugins etc.) for what ever you want to do graphically... by that nature it's also quite complex.
Absolutly correct :) Sometimes I forget I have been using it for soooooo long Adobe photoshop is now second nature to me. BUT as i said in my post.. for everyday use ..even I use Irfanview :) Irfanview has a "open with external editor button that I use to open an image in Adobe if I want to something "techy" with :) :D

Cheers
Sue

Not quite in the original line- but I have Panorama Factory- great for stitching shots together. The two shots I have on http://www.canberrasubs.com.au/ were done this way- the originals are much larger, and have a much larger spread- they loog pretty good full size.

Another plus for Irfanview is the ease in reducing file size for emailing or putting on website or posting on Somersoft ;).

When you take a pic it's usually in tiff format and approx 2mb+ per pic. Way too big to send via email to a dial up user and way too big if you're sending a few pics to non dial up users as a few pics can quickly become 20mbs. Irfanview allows you to resize and choose the quality or to convert (singularly or in batches) from tiff to jpg (or some other format). Takes seconds to convert batches of 2.5+mb pics from tiffs to jpgs measured in kb's.

Irfanview plus Picasa is probably all you need. The other programmes mentioned could be overkill as suggested unless you want to put fancy borders around your pics or crop your daughter out of the pic and put her in front of the Eiffel tower etc. :)

Olly

Back