photographer wanted to take professional rental pics

My property manager used a photographer that charged me $88 for 6 low resolution pics they use on the internet (800x600 pixels). I asked for the full resolution copies for my records but they want $220 for them.

Can someone in Melbourne recommend a property photographer who will give me full resolution pics for a fair price. I have a house currently being renovated in Brunswick and want some pics done when I start advertising at the end of this month.

Alternately if you live in Melbourne and own a DSLR with a wide lens then I'm happy to pay you to pop in and take some pics for me. Hmmm maybe I should advertise this gig on www.fiver.com

So what do you think is a fair price?

In Brisbane I have a guy who will do 8 pics (lo- and hi-res) for $150, but he's really losing money at that rate and wants you to buy the 16-pic set for $200. In my view this is very cheap. (And the results look cheap too, because he doesn't have the time to make it look any better - but they do the job for a rental.)

I feel like that's a pretty fair price, in my mind.

Photographers time (2-3 hours) to get there, take photos, get home.

Any time spent on post production

Photographers equipment (Camera, Lenses, Computer)

Software (Post production)

Photographers travel expenses

General Expenses and Overheads

Profit margin.

I reckon $220 is pretty decent for a professional.

Yeah. I certainly wouldn't be getting out of bed to go do a photo shoot for $220. But that's because I hate doing crap work and would spend enough time on post production to get good results. From the look of the photos I got back from my guy, there was next to no post production work, which is how he can do a photo shoot for $200. It's good enough for web photos of a renter though.

Yeah. I certainly wouldn't be getting out of bed to go do a photo shoot for $220. But that's because I hate doing crap work and would spend enough time on post production to get good results. From the look of the photos I got back from my guy, there was next to no post production work, which is how he can do a photo shoot for $200. It's good enough for web photos of a renter though.
Does it need a lot of touch up? I would've thought that just good lighting and good angle will be sufficient for rental, especially after seeing so many pics of places where resident Vampires seem to be the target market... (Dark, dim light, all curtain closed, why???)

Does it need a lot of touch up? I would've thought that just good lighting and good angle will be sufficient for rental, especially after seeing so many pics of places where resident Vampires seem to be the target market... (Dark, dim light, all curtain closed, why???)

Yes. A little thought to lighting and angles does go a heck of a long way. Open the curtains, turn on the lights, etc. And if you are doing it yourself, make sure you take the photos at dawn or dusk so the light is warm and you get brightness balance between inside and outside. (A photographer will charge double for dusk photos.) For rentals, the only thing stopping just anyone from doing it with one of the great new point-and-shoots is the fact that they aren't quite wide enough angle. So you really want a DSLR with something like a 14-35 zoom. However if you do the above right and think really hard about angles, you can probably get a "good enough" job with your iPhone!

You will need to at least crop and level the photos once you get them out of the camera though, and personally I would also sharpen them, take some care with reduction to web resolution to get the right balance between speed of loading and file size, do some curves to make them "pop" and convert them to web-standard colour space. But those last bits take time and you wouldn't be getting that for a $200 photo shoot. Even 5 mins per photo is an hour if you are producing 12 pics.

Last edited:
My property manager used a photographer that charged me $88 for 6 low resolution pics they use on the internet (800x600 pixels). I asked for the full resolution copies for my records but they want $220 for them.

Can someone in Melbourne recommend a property photographer who will give me full resolution pics for a fair price. I have a house currently being renovated in Brunswick and want some pics done when I start advertising at the end of this month.

Alternately if you live in Melbourne and own a DSLR with a wide lens then I'm happy to pay you to pop in and take some pics for me. Hmmm maybe I should advertise this gig on www.fiver.com

Are you going to sell or rent once the reno is finished?

If selling, it is definitely worth getting professional photos.
Plenty of rentals have photos taken by agents with their phone but I think it's worth having decent pics and as long as you get to keep the digital images, you can use them each time you're looking for tenants.

If you are happy with an amateur, my cousin is studying photography/journalism at uni. He's got some decent gear, takes some great shots and could do it for $50 - pm me if you want his details.

If you want a professional, Simon Tribe 0416271382 is pretty cheap and very good. $130 for 12 pics. He's based in Hadfield, so Brunswick won't be a problem.

http://houseguru.com.au/melbournecentral/

An update on this. I found a professional real estate agent photographer on Airtasker who offered me a great rate. Send me a message if you want to use him.

Back