Physically moving a house

Hi guys, sorry to bother but I remember once a thread on here about a process to actually pick up a house and move it - on the same block that is, but move it to a different position on the lot.

i can't find the thread, but are people doing this? I ask as I would like to buy a property with a weatherboard home and actually move the house to the back of the property, and keep the front portion of the lot for myself and build a family home.

i'd appreciate any advice and also any known "mover companies" or whatever they are called. thank you.

Yep, I did it a few months back. Cost me much more than the original estimates and watch out for the cowboys ripping out the connections so it costs you more to get them redone.

If I knew the real cost at the start of the project I provably would've knocked it down and built a new house.

Sorry, not the positive response you were looking for.

Hey beachgurl,
Can you detail the costs, timeline and process you had to go through to get this done?
Did the reval on completion stack up and make the process worth while?
Be very interested to hear your experience.

What area did you do this in?

I did this in Brisbane.

Original estimates for house slide came in at 20K but they house sliders/restumpers don't provide full quotes until you provide them with working drawings and engineer's plans. then they come back with the real price of circa 35K. This is just to slide and raise the house. Doesn't include connections/disconnections or any building work required to make the house liveable. I had factored 40K but cost 100K all up. Speaking to someone later in the piece, they said 100K is standard.

I wouldn't do it again. I'd be better off just selling the vacant land or building a project home on it for what it cost me.

Timeline? Whatever time the cowboy takes to get to your job and finish it. I know I'm making assumptions here, but they are generally an interesting breed. Technically it is a 2 week job. first week to slide and let settle on chocks, second week to raise.

Back