Picking a company name??

Hey everyone,

I'm just in the process of setting up a plan for some Pty Ltd's for future purchases and as the trustee of the current trust.

Does anyone know of a good book or website that can assist with structure etc.

I have a trust that will remain the holding trust for the family. I want to look at having a main company name "Andrew" and then have the other businesses linking to it for example

main company - Andrew Group

Then properties purchased for subdivision and development will fall under 2nd name - Andrew Construction & Subdivision

Then for the property management company 3rd name - Andrew Property & Investment

I'm getting alittle lost in it all ? I will chat with my accountant i guess i'm not wanting to waste his time and talk to him when the structure I'd like is more settled in my head.

I have 4 companies, and I went with whatever random characters were spat out by the ASIC computer at the time. I like it like this and you can think of it as just one more layer of protection (albeit a trivial one) if someone wants to sue you. (i.e. Don't go naming your company Andrew L's Millions in Assets Pty Ltd).

Lot of investors name it after the address eg. 21 Waymouth St Pty Ltd, though that's when you have a new company for each property.

Andrew's Future Lending Pty Ltd.

Andrew and His Merry Band of Drunken Sailors Pty Ltd.

I Am Andrew Pty Ltd

Andrew is Your Lord Pty Ltd.

^^^^^^ I'll have to get those ones straight away :D

Re-reading my first post I guess its not the actual name I'm chasing, As I have those. Its actually the umbrella structure :confused:

Does anyone use a main name and run the others off that original name and is the any benefit.

Example - TNT --> TNTexpress --> TNT roadfreight --> TNT interstate

Thats what I meant ^^^^^^^ not the actual names as I already have that.

i do - i have Blue Card! Industries Pty Ltd trading as Aaron Sice Pty Ltd.

i'm doing so development joint venture that will get my name out there - i use my personal name.

i sell Blue Card - i retain my name - unlike Scott Park - poor ba*s*tard.....

^^^^^^ I'll have to get those ones straight away :D

Re-reading my first post I guess its not the actual name I'm chasing, As I have those. Its actually the umbrella structure :confused:

Does anyone use a main name and run the others off that original name and is the any benefit.

Example - TNT --> TNTexpress --> TNT roadfreight --> TNT interstate

Thats what I meant ^^^^^^^ not the actual names as I already have that.

You can register a trading name linked to your company name like Blue Card showed... could be anything ABDE Pty LTd t/a Andrew's Repairs.. with Andrew's Repairs being what your customers see only.

If you're not listing on the ASX there is no point in deliberating much. Andrew 1 ...2 ...3 is all you need. If you are trading you think of a trading name with 'R' in the middle of it but that is just the shopfront. You become "Andrew 1, Trading as......".

If you're not listing on the ASX there is no point in deliberating much. Andrew 1 ...2 ...3 is all you need. If you are trading you think of a trading name with 'R' in the middle of it but that is just the shopfront. You become "Andrew 1, Trading as......".

what does trading name with an R in the middle mean ?

When we thought of our business name it was dead easy, just pinched the aboriginal name for our town and whacked the industry on the end. Slight problem now we've moved, but whatever.

We need to set up an offshore company at some point but the name of that will just match our product name, with LLC at the end.

Back