Pigeons

Our idiotic old Guiseppi neighbor has acquired about 8 white pigeons in the last 6 or so months. God knows why; he already has about 12 different sheds and other weird and wonderful things in the garden to keep him amused.

Cutesy animal, right?

Wrong.

Gotta be the second worst idea for a pet I've ever seen.

They have recently decided that our roof, our decks, our ballustrades and pool area are a much better place to hang out, leaving their previous digested and processed meals all over the place, and even on towels hanging over chairs after a swim.

Have tried spraying them with the hose numerous times but they are back in 15 mins.

I looked into the whole fake owl thing - did some research and found they are a waste of time apparently.

CD's on a length of string sound like the most promising so far, but that's gunna look like some loony (don't comment on that one, thankyou) owns the house with strings of flying saucers all around the place..

Any suggestions and/or experience with getting rid of them (other than the obvious - which I will take glee in, and use my tennis racket for the job).

We have plans to rent out the house for holiday letting in Dec/Jan this year for 3 weeks, so don't want our guests putting up with that cr@p (excuse the pun).

Have approached the old boy and instructed him to deal with his problem, before I did.

He wasn't thrilled at that.

Pigeon Pie

add to your favourites

Add Pigeon Pie to Favourites

Whether you?ve been out on a hunt all afternoon, trampling through the frosty fields or if you?ve just been to the shops and bought some pigeon, these individual pies are a delight and can be made into a single large pie if you want a relaxed and comforting dinner during the long winter months.

Ingredients

For braising the pigeon:

1kg pigeon (4)
140g onion (1)
70g carrot (1)
100g leek (?)
20g garlic (3 cloves)
3 bay leaves
some parsley stalks
300ml red wine
3 tablespoons of olive oil

For the pie:

280g onions (2)
160g mushrooms
10g parsley
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon of brandy
1 ? shortcrust pastry
6 tablespoons of olive oil
1 egg

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 hours
Serves: 4

:p:p:p

A few kg of whole wheat and a 5 litre tin of Maldison some latex gloves along with a sharp spade should do the trick . Forget about the pie after all that though .

BTW what is the 100gm of leek for :p

You are correct. CD's dangling don't work. Fake owl doesn't work. Fake flying mean looking bird doesn't work.

We tried all these with our problem minors who would pop in through the doggy door and eat our dog's food just inside the door.

We moved the food further into the house and that worked until the birds worked it out. They would drop poo over our floors (easily cleaned) and would sit on our outdoor furniture in some sort of queue to get to the food, and drop poo all over the furniture.

They don't do it now. I don't know what changed. Nothing we did worked. Must have been something "natural". Maybe they don't like the new brand of dog food?

I do know I got sick of washing the chair covers to get the bird poop off. I'm glad they've moved on.

A bloke round the corner from us has pigeons. He lets them out every afternoon and they take off into the sky and do their thing (great to see) and then go home to get locked up again. Guiseppi isn't locking his up?

Last edited:
Ring the council and see what they have to say.

Tell Guiseppi to come around and clean the poo. Do this constantly until he gets rid of them or locks them up.

Working on Guiseppi might be easier than working with the birds... unless you shoot them of course.

A bloke round the corner from us has pigeons. He lets them out every afternoon and they take off into the sky and do their thing (great to see) and then go home to get locked up again. Guiseppi isn't locking his up?

Used to race pigeons as a teenager and i'd do exactly the above.

Guiseppi must have the fantail,fancy variety...I dunno he may be fattening them up for lunch :p

Cheers Spades.

My neighbor installed a high pitched ultrasonic device to keep the birds away. Problem was I could hear it also & it hurt, like a car alarm in my head & difficult to tell what direction it was coming from, only by walking in a direction to see if it got worse. Took a while to find the device in his garden.

I got him to increase the frequency until I couldn't hear it anymore. From a bunch of people no-one else could hear it, just me. Maybe I'm part bird.
Apparently children can also hear it (and people use the device to keep them away also) so if there are kids around or you have ultrasonic hearing like me probably couldn't use this approach.

Breed a number of hawks. Starve them for a few days then release them just as the pigeons are flying about your backyard. Grab a beer, sit back and watch Guiseppes face. Cheers.

Used to race pigeons as a teenager and i'd do exactly the above.

Guiseppi must have the fantail,fancy variety...I dunno he may be fattening them up for lunch :p

Cheers Spades.
correct. The fan-tail variety. Mostly white, with the male having a few light splotches of brown around the neck area.

The "gooda-zjob" lets them out in the morning, they fly around a bit, then alight on the corner of his roof. The home base, so to speak.

From there, they do their intermittent flurry of activity out and about, and gradually magnetised towards us.

Having said that; came home tonight after work, and happy to report that approx 24 hours since yesterday's "promise" to murder his babies, not a single pigeon in sight - anywhere.

Maybe they are locked up in the coop already, but we'll see.

He was all bravado and aggression yesterday, but he might not know whether I'm serious or not, and doesn't want to take the risk.

I am serious.....pigeon tennis - a new game.

I played a lot of tennis as a kid, and the forehand is a bit rusty - could do with a tune-up....forehand top-spin pigeon heads over the pool fence...maybe a slice backhand?

It'd mean too much blood on the glass - hard to hit a back hand slice with any height, and keep it in the court.

Breed a number of hawks. Starve them for a few days then release them just as the pigeons are flying about your backyard. Grab a beer, sit back and watch Guiseppes face. Cheers.
LOL!
Awesome!

The Clubhouse leader of solutions right there, folks! :D

It'd bring back memories of watching Marlon Perkins and "The Wild Kingdom" on Sunday nights as a kid.

last resort

spikes don't work,fake any other bird e.g. owl doesn't work, "bird off" gel does though; about $20 tube online but only if not too big an area to put gel on it will get rid of them for a while at least use silicone gun in a zig zag fashion.
Do love the hawk breeding idea though!!

Our idiotic old Guiseppi neighbor has acquired about 8 white pigeons in the last 6 or so months...

I was at work today logged on to SS and LOL....I didn't even get to the second line. Sorry to laugh Bayview. :D

My brother-in-law (who isn't that old) seems to be a clone of your neighbor, he did the same thing.

They slowly started dying one by one. He put up a CCTV set up to film the birdcage LOL :D ...AND still couldn't figure it out. Eventually he got some sort of night vision for the camera LMAO :D and found out it was a mouse getting in.

We'd go over there and there were 4 split screens of the massive pigeon coop on his computer screen. Eventually he got sick of them (15 months later) and gave it all to my other brother-in-law minus the cameras. :D

Last edited:
Ask him to put a shallow water dish out near cage, say 5cm deep, 30cm+ wide.
Long as they have a perch near it they will normally stick around having baths after their flight.

Other than that he should let them out, allow fly for period and when come back give them some feed to encourage them return to cage.
Cage should have a trap door entrance at the landing pad so once they go in they can't go back out.

Fake hawks etc work for a very short period only.

Pigeon pie is tasty too:p

Back