Pigeons

Do you have a cat or know someone who does? Pigeons are terrified of cats. If you put one near their cage and let it investigate, the pigeons are unlikely to come out of the cage for days. Dad had racing pigeons when we were kids a d he would be so angry when a cat had come into our yard as his birds wouldnt leave the coop for their twice daily training runs.

BayView you're lucky there's only 8 of them! Our married-in-family-member breeds racing pigeons and I'm not quite sure how many he has but there's a lot of aviaries and when he exercises/trains/lets them fly in batches it looks like there's about 60-70odd of them!

Although he is very house proud and I have never noticed bird poop over their cars/outdoor areas/backyard... maybe he gets his wife to clean, or he times it well so they spend most of their time inside pooping...?
I'll find out if he's ever had a complaint from the neighbours (I actually don't think so...) so will also find out what his trick is to get them to come home in a timely manner.

BayView you're lucky there's only 8 of them! Our married-in-family-member breeds racing pigeons and I'm not quite sure how many he has but there's a lot of aviaries and when he exercises/trains/lets them fly in batches it looks like there's about 60-70odd of them!

Although he is very house proud and I have never noticed bird poop over their cars/outdoor areas/backyard... maybe he gets his wife to clean, or he times it well so they spend most of their time inside pooping...?
I'll find out if he's ever had a complaint from the neighbours (I actually don't think so...) so will also find out what his trick is to get them to come home in a timely manner.
The racing pigeon variety I think are ok, because they hardly ever land anywhere - from my experience they fly around in circles and eventually get to point B.

These are those silly nesting fantail types.

I'm liking the Hawk idea more and more.

I'm liking the Hawk idea more and more.

See if I can expand on this idea.

I'm thinking of rearing about a dozen or so. That way we can clear the whole damn suburb of pigeons!

I picture a breeding cage that is built up high so the youngens can see their prey from the moment they hatch.

Perhaps a fresh kill every now and again as they mature ( the same way greyhound trainers give their dogs a fresh rabbit)

I also picture a fold up chair and an esky of beer as you watch Guiseppe's little darlings get nose dived!

Don't forget to keep the hawks well fed until a few days before you release them. Oh.. and dont give them any beer... otherwise they could turn into Bob Hawkes and start making outlandish claims....."nnaaarrrhhh...By 1990, no child will be living in poverty"

Day 2 since my promise - not a pigeon in sight when I got home yesterday arvo.

They must be locked up in the coop still.

I wonder how long that will last?

Back