piglets in backyard ?

Hi people,

I have a home with a big backyard at the back of the property in outer city NSW, Just wondering if somehow I can have a piglet as my pet ?

I know that this is not the typical domesticated animal but my kids would love to have some pet inspired by the cafe "The Grounds - Alexandria" Kevin who went missing.

Any thoughts and comment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ah I see, so it is deemed illegal by RSPCA :-/

thanks guys.

Did you read the link?

Many local councils in Australia will not grant permits for a pig to be kept in a backyard, even in some rural areas. The first step is therefore to check with your local council on any requirements it might have.

There is more in the quoted article.

I don't know much about pigs but don't they grow up to be really large...? and they can be dangerous just because of their sheer size.

In the link posted it said they can be aggressive/territorial if not trained properly and, not to be rude, but many people don't know how to train animals properly/consistently. Behaviours that are cute/funny in a small pet can quickly become dangerous when they weigh 200kg and can run at up to 40km/hr at you.

Your best bet is to borrow a pig before you commit to getting one for the backyard.

As a vet, we had to go to pig farms as part of our training. The smell of pig excrement was horrendous, it stayed in my clothes/skin/hair for days :(

Now I prefer to keep cats as pets, they clean themselves very well. They respect my property, as long as I keep their toilets clean. And best of all, they stay piglet size forever!

I have one piece of advice.
Don't do it!

Pigs dig. They will trash your yard in about a week. The term pig dry is not because they are dirty. They're not they are actually quite clean. But the love soil and mud. So they dig.
They are also very intelligent, so the get bored. Trying to keep them in a yard will be difficult. Very difficult. If they can see to the outside of the yard I guarantee they will find a way to get out.
They poo - a lot!!
They get large. Even a small pig is about 60-70kgs. Think of a very large St. Bernard - a large St. Bernard is generally lighter than a small pig.
They don't sleep at night. They sleep during the day when it's hot.

I've worked on pig farms and yes, I understand the desire to have one. They are lovely creatures with big personalities. But they are not a domestic pet.

Blacky

so did my ex wife!!!!!:D:D:D

That is so naughty :D.

We know a family who bought a little piglet... used to go in and out the cat flap.

Now it is HUGE. They leave the door open now because it crashed through the screen when it kept trying to fit through the cap flap.

They live on several acres. She told me the story once about not wanting to wake the pig, who was asleep on the couch in the theatre room, so she got a blanket and covered it to stop it getting cold. Next thing, she is in bed, and it has lumbered upstairs to get her to open the door and let it out. It was muzzling her face to wake her up :eek:.

I spent an afternoon with them. It was just like a family pet... a REALLY BIG family pet.

They live on several acres. She told me the story once about not wanting to wake the pig, who was asleep on the couch in the theatre room, so she got a blanket and covered it to stop it getting cold. Next thing, she is in bed, and it has lumbered upstairs to get her to open the door and let it out. It was muzzling her face to wake her up :eek:.

I spent an afternoon with them. It was just like a family pet... a REALLY BIG family pet.

Sounds like a wonderful pet pig :) How big? Nuzzling faces to wake people up...haven't had a pet not do that yet! They are all so smart.

Sounds like a wonderful pet pig :) How big? Nuzzling faces to wake people up...haven't had a pet not do that yet! They are all so smart.

BIG!!! I'd say the size of a small dining table, but my memory might be adding some kilos. It was certainly not a piglet any more.

I still smile at the throughout of putting a blanket over the pig on the family couch rather than wake it up. Lovely lady, lovely family, but a bit wacky :), in a very nice way.

Hi people,

I have a home with a big backyard at the back of the property in outer city NSW, Just wondering if somehow I can have a piglet as my pet ?

I know that this is not the typical domesticated animal but my kids would love to have some pet inspired by the cafe "The Grounds - Alexandria" Kevin who went missing.

Any thoughts and comment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I was talking too this Lady in the UKI Pub a few years back when a Pig moved onto the Ladies property,caused a real problem..
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-09-23/angry-pig-holds-woman-hostage/518992

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-09-23/caroline-hayes-tells-newsradios-john-barron-about/518998

Putting a blanket on the pig is not so wacky after all :) Hope the lady had a big enough blanket. I also put blankets on animals in the winter. At my home the cat is the boss...I'm not getting out of this chair until the cat has had enough of sitting on my lap and decides to jump off.

Babi Guling.

Makanan itu enak sekali.

Attachments

• Babi Guling.jpg
    Babi Guling.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 78
That is so naughty :D.

We know a family who bought a little piglet... used to go in and out the cat flap.

Now it is HUGE. They leave the door open now because it crashed through the screen when it kept trying to fit through the cap flap.

I actually laughed out loud when I read this. What a great story.

Back