Pinballs

Just wondering if anyone has owned a pinball machine. I've always wanted one but have no idea why. Maybe it's a bit like Las Vegas. Lots of flashing lights.

So if any one has owned one what do I need to look out for and what is involved in servicing?

I've had 2 mates who had 2 and 3 machines each and were always on the look out for more.
Expensive buggars and finding people to fix them was a hassle but well worth the money spent in regards to fun, and the fact that these are/will be collectors items eventually.

My Dad owned a pool hall from the time I was born until the time I left home. I spent way too much time there as a junior pool hustler and playing pinball. Lots of pinball.
We had an old machine at home called "Egg Head". It was a bit of a classic when I was in high school. I still miss it.
When I grow up and get my own place, I'll have a pinball machine in there for sure.
I love 'em and visitors can't seem to get enough either.
I also don't mind the old arcade Asteroids game and the other one that's a bit like Space Invaders, but better. Can't remember the name of it.

Go for the electronic ones, not the old electro-mechanical. Firepower is a classic.

But even with the electronic ones you still need to be a bit handy to know how to adjust flipper contacts: too close and you lose power, too open and you burn out flipper coils. You will need a soldering iron and will need to know to use it.

I've owned them and old juke boxes and don't have either today. If I had a nice big house with a games room I may have kept a couple, but they take too much room.

Ever since I was a young boy I played the silver ball.

Some machines were plagued with breakdown problems- Last Action Hero, Jurrasic Park are 2 that come to mind. Williams were top of the game mid 80s to early 90s and generally were OK mechanically from my observations as a frequent player. Some Bally ones were ok as well, outside of those brands proceed with caution.

The Adams Family is a collectors item and a classic. Brilliant to play.

Try to score spare consumables when you get one- flippers, rubbers and solenoids. Watch for grooves in the wooden table face and ensure tops are responding quick and hard.Let us know if you get one.

speaking of old arcade games. Anyone familiar with MAME?

Hours of fun enjoying blasts from the past on that one.
Sure am, have enjoyed playing Galaga, Elevator action, 1942 and similar games :)

Still remember how amazing space invaders was when it came out and how I dreamed about owning my own machine!

My Dad owned a pool hall from the time I was born until the time I left home. I spent way too much time there as a junior pool hustler and playing pinball. Lots of pinball.
We had an old machine at home called "Egg Head". It was a bit of a classic when I was in high school. I still miss it.
When I grow up and get my own place, I'll have a pinball machine in there for sure.
I love 'em and visitors can't seem to get enough either.
I also don't mind the old arcade Asteroids game and the other one that's a bit like Space Invaders, but better. Can't remember the name of it.

GALAGA!!!

galaga.gif

Wondering if this would be a business expense.....

Funny you mention that. I visited a local advertising agency recently and they had a tabletop arcade machine running a heap of classic games in the entrance/waiting room.

Nicest tax write off I ever saw.

Okay everyone knows Galaga (I spent hours playing it on an Amiga 500).

Does anyone know of a game that's the top view of a moving train and you need to keep moving all the pieces of train track into it's path so it doesn't crash? You move the track pieces like a sliding puzzle, and you can only use each piece once (after the train goes across it, that piece of track goes blank). As the levels progress, the train gets faster.

Well i've bought one. It's called World Cup Soccer. Not a well known game but it's seems to be in pretty good condition and the kids are going to love it!

This is what the game play is like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qqScK2OCrQ&feature=related

Just got to work out how to get it from Brisbane to Sydney.

Sweet. Played it once or twice many years ago- from memory it was a fast table. How much did it cost if I can ask?

As for moving it- see if you can get it backloaded as it may be cheaper. Make sure they are insured!

Does anyone know of a game that's the top view of a moving train and you need to keep moving all the pieces of train track into it's path so it doesn't crash? You move the track pieces like a sliding puzzle, and you can only use each piece once (after the train goes across it, that piece of track goes blank). As the levels progress, the train gets faster.

Reminds me of a computer game with the same principle with pipes and green slime...no idea what it was called though.

Play Bioshock- they have a similar mini game within the main game involving water and pipes.

Back