Pipe Leak in Bathroom

Hi Guys,

I have a query about one of my property in Queensland which is tenanted.

Its a unit within a complex and the bathroom has had a pipe leak and the vanity case and carpet have been damaged.

I talked to my strata manager and she said that building insurance will cover for plumbing + vanity case but not carpet.

I am a little surprised at this because I would have thought since the damage is done by the leaking pipe it should be covered under building insurance?

Which insurance will cover the carpet?

Thanks.

Contents insurance covers the replacment of carpet, this is an insuracne that you personally organise separately to Strate Building Insurance which would be paid as part of Owners Corporation (or Building corporation) fees.

When you own a house you take out house and contents insurance. When you own a strata unit - you pay your building insurance fee and then take out Contents insurance separately.

Regards
Sheryn

Contents insurance covers the replacment of carpet, this is an insuracne that you personally organise separately to Strate Building Insurance which would be paid as part of Owners Corporation (or Building corporation) fees.

When you own a house you take out house and contents insurance. When you own a strata unit - you pay your building insurance fee and then take out Contents insurance separately.

Regards
Sheryn

Thanks for that Sheryn.

Do people pay for content insurance for investment properties?

Some landlord insurance policies include contents in their cover. For what its worth, we had a situation, where there was a leak in one unit, and it damaged the unit below. Sadly the owner of the unit below, allowed their insurance to lapse, with out us knowing. I took issue with the insurer of the upstairs unit, and after a bit of desk thumping, the insurer buckled, and made a payment towards the repairs.

Back