please consider pets in your rentals

I'm a pet friendly landlord, too. I find it a win-win as the tenant gets to keep their pet and they tend to stay long term as they have difficulty relocating.

Same here, Rob.

Let's face it; most people like pets.

I'm not going to decrease my pool of clients by saying no.

Last edited:
Never inside, if they want to live with their pets they can sleep in a kennel too.
It has the same smell as those who let them inside.

We allow pets and our IPs don't smell, but probably because of polished floors. Carpets would be a different matter, but I still allowed pets when we had carpet squares in the living rooms. We just inserted clauses that the carpet squares had to be cleaned and treated for fleas. Easy peasy, and we had no problems.

I don't understand some people's issues with pets. We like to advertise "Pets Welcome" and I'm sure tenants don't see that very often.
I also will NEVER understand a landlord who has issues with pets.

we had a nopets policy and the tenats decided to keep two HUGE alaskan malimous(?) - gignatic bloody things.

the backyard had vertical 1.5m h retaining walls when we leased it, and leaning retaining walls when we took back possession because their stupid mutts had dug UNDER the bluddy walls...grrrr...

as well as smashed the fence, trenched the yard and exposed tree roots allowing soil erosion.

nice.

horses for courses. a terrier we would have been fine with, but 2 husky things in a tiny, terraced yard?
Perhaps if you had 'pets negotiable' for your property they would have been honest and upfront and told you about them? Then you could have increased the rent by $10/week upfront and then later taken money out of their bond to repair the fence and soil??

Because dogs stink! I had to repair a door in the garage on the weekend at one of my properties and the garage stunk!!! Could barely breath it was so bad. Gee I hope I can get the smell out when the tennants leaves.
I know more family homes without any pets that smell much worse than most with pets.
Sounds like that pet owner was a slob and didn't look after their animal responsibly.

Over 50% of my tenants have had pets, and sometimes the only decent applicants have had pets. In my opinion a property should always be advertised "pets considered". If you say strictly no pets, then the tenant may either lie on their application, or they may just not apply. Surely it is better to have the choice of a tenant with a pet vs a vacant property, or vs another tenant with a dodgy rental history? If I had had a no pets policy, then on some occasions I would have had real trouble renting the property in the timeframes I required.
I would kudos you if I could.

Ok for all you animal haters who think you can't manage animals without smell

Spot on, we've got 2 indoor cats and our German Shepherd comes in for a few hours at night (but sleeps outside) and we've got no problems with smell. Sure the kitty litter in the laundry can smell at times, but also depends which you use and what you feed them, and it doesn't carry through the house. Keep a clean house and it won't smell.

At the end of the day, it is all about responsible pet ownership. It would be very inappropriate to live in a small unit and have 9 cat's like the person mentioned above, however, the amazing woman in the shelter that Fokas mentioned has over 500 free range animals with no problems, however is living on a sanctuary of 12 acres and has staff to assist. Huge difference.

When looking to accommodate pets, then you need to look for the right kind of property. If you are renting, I would say that in many instances, having a large brood of animals could become problematic if you need to move premises.

One of the reasons that I really pushed to purchase the home we did, despite Hubby complaining about the large amount of work that he would have to do, was the positioning on the block, making it perfect to make a huge cattery that would give them easy access to the house, a view to the street, and a view to the back yard and plenty of room to eventually build some climbing apparatus's for them to explore.

Back