Please help with my business name :)

Hey guys,

I have a minor dilemma – I am really struggling to come up with a name for my soon to be established mortgage broker business. So far I’ve been considering the following:

Pass Go Home Loans (links to monopoly game)
Mayfair Home Loans (as above)
Easy Peasy Home Loans (a little quirky – may sound a tad juvenile)
Moore Money Home Loans (uses my surname)
The Mortgage Professor

Since this forum is full of so many creative, intelligent and straightforward individuals I’d love to hear some feedback on the names I’ve come up with so far. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Jamie

Lets try this in a diff way

1. Who is ur ideal client ?
2. What is ur business' point of difference ?
3. What sort of image/branding/ positioning do u want to project
4. Wht is the legal entity that owns the business ?

ta
rolf

The first two are ok, don't like the others.

Personally I like more professional sounding names along the lines of "Moore Financial Solutions" or similar.

Another key point I'd consider before settling on a name - think ahead to the future on the chance one day you wish to expand. Do you want to have 'home loans' in the name? What if you expand to commercial, insurance, financial planning etc down the track - you wouldn't want "home loans" in the title then I'd assume, but if it is you may need to rebrand/rename and lose considerable name recognition and value.

I like 4 and 5. A bit catchy, something that people may remember. Like Rolf said, it does depend on your target market. High net worth individuals may seek something professional and solid sounding whereas mum and dad investors and FHB may go for something catchy and a little unique.

Alysha

www.gatherumgoss.com

Moore's More Mortgages?

You have mentioned using your own surname, but that may restrict you should you wish to sell the business down the track.

I wouldn't use Pass Go & Mayfair. While they seem like a nice idea at first, at some point you'll want to use logos and mascots and graphics that match your business name, and it's then that you'll be skirting dangerous trademark waters.

Look at Aussie, Wizard, RAMS. One word generic names that give lots of design possibilities. Wizard has used a wizard character and a magic wand. RAMS uses ram photo and curly horn logos.

For this reason, I think Professor is an excellent generic concept. Note that sites like homeloanprofessor.com may confuse your market. If that worries you, use http://www.whois.net/ to check up on how old the site is and who owns it. If they look derelict you can offer to buy them and redirect them to your main site. In any case ensure you have a very distinct logo/graphic, so that people know straight away they're on the right site.

You don't necessarily have to shy away from using your own name, it wasn't a problem for Jim's Mowing, Bob Jane T-mart, Dick Smith Electronics, Graham Cornes Motors...

Here's another one.. "The Loan Doctor" - perfect example of a simple name with catchy logo possibilities. Too bad someone already thought of it :) http://loandr.com.au/

Wow, this is great – thanks for the responses so far!

Rolf – When I look at the marketing used by brokers, it’s all very similar – stock photography using the “serious business man” a “financial chart” and a “calculator.” I understand that these are safe options, and they are likely to instill confidence – that’s probably why this image is widely used. I’d like to move away from the norm – perhaps using some more creative imagery for marketing and a name that’s a little bit catchy. At the same time, I can see the risks that this option poses.

Steve – good point and something I need to consider.

Big Tone – Moore Money Services is taken! I do like that option – and I do take into account Geoffs comment about using my own name….actually, could I register Moore Money - or is it too similar?

Softmonkey - great advice!

i had that dilemia myself recently and took a big brainstorming and scribbling session (2 days) to finally get a name i liked. the byline came to me at 3am the following day.

i think rolf is right - what is your target market? i also agree with using "financial solutions" rather than mortgage or home loans etc.

also remember that the suit, charts and calc are used for a reason - they work and have an association - you can tweak it, don't try and reinvent the wheel.

Here's a few, not sure if there taken.

Wise choice mortgage solutions
infinite mortgage solutions
sure footed finance
debtwise
smart debt lending
home-a-loan (good for SEO)
loans to go
the wishing well
loan creations

think of all the numpties out there who have NFI about anything other than the computer sytem they plug into every day in council chambers.

then design your business name around that.

Here's a few, not sure if there taken.

Wise choice mortgage solutions
infinite mortgage solutions
sure footed finance
debtwise
smart debt lending
home-a-loan (good for SEO)
loans to go
the wishing well
loan creations

like the first two - wouldn't use the word "debt" or "loans" as have negative overtones.

Back