Please talk some sense into me....

I was about to suggest an Evo IX, but you still get the police factor (probably more so than most other cars on the market).

However, as soon as he saw an Evo X in the next few months, he'd puke on his shoes at now having to trade in the IX as it comparatively sux :)

Also why a cayman? isnt that towards the bottom end of the porsche range? To get something good, won't you have to save and invest for a while, and in the mean time have an interim car?

I want a lambo myself .. but there will be a few interim vehicles prior to that i suspect whilst i wait for the investments to pay off enough for the lambo to be a drop in the bucket. Admittedly i'm only up to a subaru libert GT spec B for now, but next, maybe a RS4 if i want something comfortable .. or a lotus .. or a bottom of the range porsche ;) ...?

Also why a cayman? isnt that towards the bottom end of the porsche range? ...?

The Cayman is the mid-range between the Boxsters and the 911's.

I'm surprised the 2 wheel brigade hasn't come on this thread to explain how the 2 wheel option is cheaper, faster, more fun, etc.

Personally, I am still waiting for the ADR's to come thru on:
http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/

Cheers,

The Y-man

Basically i'm 26 yrs old and started working in 2007 as a doctor. This yr (2008) i will prob earn around the 150k mark, could prob earn a bit more if worked hard by doing extra shifts etc etc.

With that kind of income, if you were still living at home, you could potentially service a $1-1.5MM IP portfolio today.

As opposed to a 150k Porsche.

To me, it's a no brainer...but then again, I never had any interest in cars either.

I also think you deserve to reward yourself after successfully making it through medical school. I understand the commitment and effort that requires and getting to your earning potential so young is something that not many achieve....

Yes I agree, but just don't let it swell your ego too much.

This is reality, not 'Gray's Anatomy' or 'ER' fantasy land.

With that kind of income, if you were still living at home, you could potentially service a $1-1.5MM IP portfolio today.

As opposed to a 150k Porsche.

To me, it's a no brainer...but then again, I never had any interest in cars either.

To take that example further, say a portfolio worth $1.25m, increases at 5% per annum, that is an increasse in value of $62.5k pa. A few years of growth and you've got your Porsche. Food for thought...:)

Or, if you're going to buy an expensive car, at least be original, as someone already said: Porsche + young doctor = cliche (= tosser) :D!

You're not the first young doctor to come out of med school and be over-excited by your new found earning capacity...

"OMG, 150kpa, I could buy a Porsche with that...!" :eek: :rolleyes:

It's really no different to a tradie finishing their apprenticeship and splurging on a new Holden Commodore V8 Ute.

But perhaps you think you're different??

Succumb to the temptation of thinking that you're wealthier than you are at this early stage, and you're destined for a life of consuming beyond your means.

Sorry if this sounds harsh - I have loads of respect for doctors and I don't think you're adequately paid for the responsibility you bear, actually. But don't buy into the "I'm a rich doctor and I can afford better toys than everybody else" mentality; it's a recipe for disaster.

Yes, that's exactly right.

Get over yourself mate!

gee whiz i think you've ripped into the young bloke a bit, he only wants to waste money on buying a car, not the end of the world

Actually, perhaps I was a bit harsh, but this is SS, the school of hard knocks!

He did ask for a dose of financial reality though.

Anyway, he's smart enough to weigh up both sides and make a decision that suits him.

Wow.

Thanks to everyone that replied with their 2cents. As I stated in my original post, i really respect the opinions of people on this forum.

Anyways, let me just make a few points.

1. Me stating my salary was not some lame attempt at showing off. I am fully aware that my salary is nothing great or anything. I was just trying to provide some information as to my current financial situation.

2. The idea of buying a car such as this would not be to show off. Although, i don't think it's a crime to admit that it's a good feeling when you're driving nice cars, wearing nice clothes etc etc. Trust me, the last thing I want is some dumb trophy wife.

3. I've been lurking on this forum for a couple months now and have been fortunate in that one particular member has gone out of their way to provide me with his help and advice on a number of questions i've come up with (thanks steveadl). It's only the other day when I saw this car that i just thought to myself #$*% it, why not just get what you want. I most certainly do realise that splashing out like that now is by far a worse option than investing it wisely, however i am someone who lacks discipline and can easily convince himself of doing something when the better part knows its the wrong the to do. Thus the reason for my post. Getting slapped around by a few of you guys was great. Cheers.

4. It seems i've also come across as a free loader for living with my folks. I moved out at the start of 2007 and rented an apartment near the hospital i was working at for the whole year, for my last rotation however i had to go to the country thus we ended our lease at that time. My parents have urged me to come back home in order to save money, the keep saying that rent money is dead money etc. I guess my plan was to stay at home for a bit in order to save my cash for investment purposes. I agree though, as much as they want me to stay at home they will NOT be impressed if i go and blow my money on a car like that.

Of course I wouldn't buy the car brand new, as one of the guys said id hopefully try and get one in the 120k price range. Don't have the figures on me as to how much that would cost per week on a lease.

I like the idea that one of the guys said that it would be a much better idea to buy the house first and then extract some equity to buy my nice car a bit later on.

Once again thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
You can’t just live for the future. Do you put off your dreams and passions, promising yourself that you will revive them at some vague point in the future after you’ve done all the “sensible” things? Plans that either come to nought or half a page of scribbled lines? Some dreams have a time limit, and you have to work with that. Will there be any petrol in 15 years’ time? We’ve hit peak oil, and I believe Bass Strait is due to run out in about 2015. Will global warming change what you can or can’t do? Will you start a family in five years’ time, and need a “sensible” car?

When I was about 24, I had to make a decision between two of my passions – music and motor racing – as there wasn’t enough time in the day to properly pursue both of them. I chose to go for motor racing on the basis that it’s a (relatively) young person’s sport, and that I could come back to the music later. From that time, I spent most of my income on the motor racing. I spent enough to more than pay out my home loan, and I missed out on nearly 10 years of property investment opportunities while I did it. If I’d invested instead of going racing, I could be retired now.

Do I regret spending my money on fast machinery instead of soberly investing in growth and income-producing assets? No. Absolutely not. There’s a joy in drifting an open wheeler though McPhillamy Park, and then engaging in a four-way slipstreaming battle down Conrod at 260km/h, that simply cannot be found in a tidy balance sheet. Not by me, anyway. The buzz of more than quadrupling the speed limit between the concrete barriers down Dequetteville Terrace in Adelaide can’t be matched by a few grand of profit in the PM statement.

I test drove a 996 Carrera and GT2 a few years ago, and I fell in love with them. They are sublime cars to drive, and I imagine the Cayman inherits a lot of their character, so I can understand and respect your desire. Some posters in this thread have suggested that expensive cars is all about being a w**ker. If your motivation is indeed to show off, then so be it – do it anyway and to hell with the criticism! But if you’re anything like me, it’s more about a sense of personal achievement, and the intense personal enjoyment of the harmony between man and a beautiful machine than what some other joker thinks. I agree with some of the comments that you should buy a car you’re comfortable parking at the supermarket. Personally, I’d park the Porsche there and tolerate the scratches; I can’t see the point in having a car I can’t use every day or have to treat with kid gloves.

Life is for living. It’s not just about making money. The trick is to find the balance. Do the numbers. A few years ago, Porsche 996 Carrera leases were around $3000 per month, plus income tax of course if you can’t find a way to write it off in a business. That might gross up to say $60,000 per year. How does that fit with your priorities (and remember they are your priorities, your choices, and your responsibility, no one else’s). Does it leave you enough to live, put some money away for the future, and buy your folks a second hand Boxster so they don’t feel left out :D?

With your question there’s no right or wrong, only consequences. Good luck deciding! ;)

$120,000 is a lot of money on a car. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable spending more than 1/4-1/3 a years income on a vehicle (or less).

I love my porsches so I know where you are coming from, personally anyway I would go with a classic Porsche (when I am on $150k :p).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Original-Por...ryZ10779QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
d08412f36db5fty4.jpg

Maybe something like the above, but aim for the $40-50k mark. In red or gun metal grey. Whale tail or gtfo :D....

In the original post, aussielad stated he was hoping we would talk him out of something that he knew was not the most sensible thing to do.

All I can say is that the last property we bought for $460K we pay about $3000 per month for. I would never consider leasing any sort of car for $3000 per month, but that is my choice. I would be thinking about what the value of the asset that I could buy with $3000 per month would be in ten year's time. it will be worth considerably more but the car will not. The house is probably worth $600K now because the market is strong in Brisbane. If aussielad buys a house, he can buy a nice car later. 26 is not "over the hill" - plenty of time.

But I agree that buying such an extravagant car while living for free with parents isn't a good look.

Everyone has to make their own decision, but to me a car is a lump of metal with wheels - somewhere for the kids to leave their soccer shoes and smelly socks in :D. I know many feel differently, and that is why we all are different.

Of course, it is aussie's decision to make, and nobody is saying otherwise.

But he, seriously, sounds like he is wanting to confirm that it is not the best use of his money, and we all know it is not.

And of course, we need to LIVE life, but living life (for me) does not mean throwing money away on a depreciating asset. There is big difference in being a scrooge and paying $3000 a month for a car.

Would love to know what the final decision is.

One of the traits of successful people is they usually don't give a toss what others think of them. That's why they're successful and mostly don't subscribe to the tall poppy syndrome.

If being thought of as a 'tosser' worries you....well.....i'd rather the Porsche :D (and the obvious success)

Or, if you're going to buy an expensive car, at least be original, as someone already said: Porsche + young doctor = cliche (= tosser) :D!

The majority of posts on this topic suggest that you can either buy the Porsche or be successful, bot not both.

I think this mindset is very limiting and mostly a mindset of scarcity rather than abundance. Especially as you are a 26yo doctor your income can only grow substantially.

From one car lover to another, i say buy it mate. And enjoy it.

Life is short and if you approach is right you can definitely have the car and the IPs, success etc....you can have it all. But only if you think you can. If you think you cant, then you definitely cant.

Personally i like this one. And you could pocket the substantial difference, depending how you'd spec either car.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=40551&vf=1

Should be purchasing in Q1 08. :)

Heres an interesting comparison which favors the Aud for everyday use:But, i know, a Porsche is a Porsche.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=31163&vf=1

Last edited:
One of the traits of successful people is they usually don't give a toss what others think of them. That's why they're successful and mostly don't subscribe to the tall poppy syndrome.

If being thought of as a 'tosser' worries you....well.....i'd rather the Porsche :D (and the obvious success)

The majority of posts on this topic suggest that you can either buy the Porsche or be successful, bot not both.

I think this mindset is very limiting and mostly a mindset of scarcity rather than abundance. Especially as you are a 26yo doctor your income can only grow substantially.

From one car lover to another, i say buy it mate. And enjoy it.

Life is short and if you approach is right you can definitely have the car and the IPs, success etc....you can have it all. But only if you think you can. If you think you cant, then you definitely cant.

Personally i like this one. And you could pocket the substantial difference, depending how you'd spec either car.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=40551&vf=1

Should be purchasing in Q1 08. :)

Heres an interesting comparison which favors the Aud for everyday use:But, i know, a Porsche is a Porsche.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=31163&vf=1

Can't say i'm a big fan of the TT mate. Dunno why, just has a feminine look about it in my eyes. :)

P.S-It's interesting to note that the vast majority of those suggesting I should buy the car if really want it are motoring enthusiasts.

They obviously don't see it as a waste of money. The first TT looked feminine but the 2nd (this one) is an improvement i think.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I was always a BMW fan (and owner) but i think they've lost the plot these last few years and i love the look of Audis these days.

BMW & Merc are worriedly looking over their shoulder at a fast rising Audi. (as a highly aspirational car & credible competitor) but Porsche are separate to that trio and don't have a worry. They are genuine classics.

Good luck with whatever you choose, you cant lose either way mate.

Can't say i'm a big fan of the TT mate. Dunno why, just has a feminine look about it in my eyes. :)

P.S-It's interesting to note that the vast majority of those suggesting I should buy the car if really want it are motoring enthusiasts.

Back