Pls help? Melbourne sth east sub - $600k

Long time reader but first time posting...:)

I'm looking to buy a house (at least 3 bedrms) as my first PPOR and will live in there in the long term. I have approx $160k deposit and my budget is $600k max.(just to give myself some buffer)

In my 5 year plan, I'm planning to start a family and have kids...so schools are important...Don't want to live too far away from the city and prefer to have good public transport...

I have shortlisted suburbs below. Which suburb do you think is better and is within my budget? I have been observing the price and they have gone through the roof!:eek: Can't seem to find something decent with my budget....

1) Cheltenham
2) Highett
3) Moorabbin
4) Mentone
5) Parkdale
6) Oakleigh (inc Oakleigh South, Oakleigh East, Huntingdale)
7) Vermont (inc Vermont South)
8) Blackburn (inc Blackburn North, Blackburn South)
9) Nunawading
10) Mitcham

I've also looked into Wheelers Hill, Rowville, Mulgrave but they don't seem to have good schools and good public transport.

What other suburbs would you recommend?

Can't really go wrong with any of those but I wouldn't think you'd get a house for $600k in those areas with the possible exception of Vermont.

I like the beach so probably Highett / Cheltenham although $600k would only buy a villa unit.

They're a little bit further out of the city though so if transport is more important stick to the East along the train line like you've done.

I'm not a beach person. The reason I have shortlisted bayside is because of the schools...I heard they are pretty good.

My partner and I drive to work around clayton/mulgrave. Good public transport is a plus....maybe in the future when kids take train/bus to school or we end up working in the city...

As above I don't think you're going to find a house for that budget, have you thought moving a little further out to maybe Mordialloc/Aspendale?

What about Ringwood (I'm biased :D). We've been living in the area for 5 years now and very happy (e.g. Transport, Train shopping, etc...). Primary schools are good. Ringwood Secondary is good (although not in the same rankings as Glen Waverly Sec). Also, there are few Catholic and Private schools around the area. We've been started to do lot of research on secondary schools cos we have young kids. Waverley Christian Collage (Wantirna South) has a good reputation but apparently, very hard to get in. Aquinas (Ringwood) is not bad but probably not that great academically. Vermont Secondary also has a good reputation.

For information about schools, check these sites out;
http://bettereducation.com.au/
http://www.goodschools.com.au/
http://www.myschool.edu.au/

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
I'm wondering why is Vermont cheaper than the surrounding suburbs? Is there anything not so good about the suburb? I drove around the area today and the "feel" is not very different to Mitcham, except Mitcham has a train station and Vermont doesn't.

I think I have to settle with townhouse instead of house with my budget...:(
This might sound like a stupid question, but how can u know whether u are not paying too much for a brand new townhouse? Do you calculate based on how much $/sqm?

Back