Plumber damages toilet

Hi All,

I had a plumber in to do a bathroom reno and i've discovered not long after that there is a hair line crack on the bottom of toilet.

I rung plumber and he said he supposedly had one on order and would be replaced and installed last tuesday.

Anyhow to date,the @resh0le has been dodging my phone calls.

So what can i do,report him to ato?I want him to pay one way or the other for his negligence...I'll also leave feedback via service central.
Any other suggestions?

Btw this is a skew toilet and new ones start around 500$.
Seeing it's a hairline crack,is it able to be patched or something?

I maybe able to pick up a second hand one for 50$,so may go down this road if i can't get the current one fixed or replaced from dud plumber.

Again,any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers Spades.

I think going to the ATO would be a bit extreme. Did you mean Consumer Affairs in your state?

I think you should be able to text the plumber that seeing as he hasn't responded, you are escalating to contacting Consumer Affairs/Fair Trading, and are giving him to COB xx/12/13 to respond and organise replacement.

Sometimes, just the threat alone is enough to spark them along, otherwise, contact the relevant authority and get the ball rolling.

pinkboy

I think going to the ATO would be a bit extreme. Did you mean Consumer Affairs in your state?

I think you should be able to text the plumber that seeing as he hasn't responded, you are escalating to contacting Consumer Affairs/Fair Trading, and are giving him to COB xx/12/13 to respond and organise replacement.

Sometimes, just the threat alone is enough to spark them along, otherwise, contact the relevant authority and get the ball rolling.

pinkboy

Hi pinkboy,

I don't think reporting the plumber to ATO is to extreme but i'll try your suggestion first ie:consumer affairs.

A novel approach would be to have a friend call him for a quote and you could then corner him there.

Hi chilliblue,

Honestly i don't think this would work,he's the type to go yeah i'll fix it and not show up or return calls.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks pinkboy and chilliblue for the suggestions,

Cheers Spades.

Ps.Does anyone know if the toilet can be fixed with a filler or something?
As i mentioned it has a hairline crack and drips when flushed.

Thanks for link willair.

I'd like to thank pinkboy for his suggestion,i sent a txt to the plumber saying,seeing he hasn't responded,i'll give him to monday to respond,there after if no response,i will contact consumer affairs,plumbers union and ato.

So he called back within a minute lol and said he'll have someone out to install toilet 8am monday morning.I won't pop the cork yet until things are finalized on monday.

Cheers Spades.

I'd like to thank pinkboy for his suggestion,i sent a txt to the plumber saying,seeing he hasn't responded,i'll give him to monday to respond,there after if no response,i will contact consumer affairs,plumbers union and ato.

:)))

This also work to get other providers to respond, e.g. telco, big retailers. Had issue with phone plan before and didn't get proper resolution for a month. Told them we will go to ACCC and they solve it within 2 days.

Hi pinkboy,

He could try and say he never met me but i have correspondence saved + witnesses.

Yes it's for an IP and no i'm not claiming as a deduction as it's not yet tenanted.

Cheers Spades.

Because he got paid cash without a receipt,
Cheers Spades.

This is funny :) so you part of the transaction that pay people cash, no receipt and you want to report him to ATO?

what if ATO turn around and said you helping him dodging tax? and want to start auditing you instead?

Hi roe,

Firstly plumber asked for cash without receipt.

ATO can audit me all they like,i have nothing to hide nor do i tax dodge.

Now sour grapes is funny:D

Cheers Spades.

Because he got paid cash without a receipt,
Cheers Spades.

how will that help you with your toilet situation? The ATO cares about tax and nothing else. they arent going to compel him to fix your toilet.

also, you have made the situation entirely worse by doing a cashie, it leads to problems like this.

ATO care factor = zero for something so small like that.

If you made the transaction in bank transfer - then yes you would be able to ask for a receipt of tax invoice within 30 days. if not - you can report him. But in this case, you have nothing, cash, he could say he did not receive it or he does not know you. Unless you have a friend who was there and signed an affidavit that would be different case during the cash.

For such a miscellanous amount, i wouldn't worry abt. Consumer affairs also wouldn't get involved.

Back