Plumber receipt no GST

I have an email from the plumber that contains the tax invoice for some work on rental toilet. It's not a file or attachment, just straight text in the email. It says Tax Invoice but doesn't have GST or a ABN no.

Is this a legit receipt to claim tax?

The last time someone sent me an invoice without an ABN I sent it back telling them it wouldn't be paid until they provided me with a valid invoice.

I even had someone send me an invoice that included GST, but when I checked they weren't registered for GST - they were simply trying to pocket the extra 10%. That was the last invoice she ever sent me.

A dodgy invoice says a lot about the person or business you're dealing with.

I have an email from the plumber that contains the tax invoice for some work on rental toilet. It's not a file or attachment, just straight text in the email. It says Tax Invoice but doesn't have GST or a ABN no.

Is this a legit receipt to claim tax?

Provided it also contains the details of the issuer (ie phone, an address etc) then you aren't obliged to withhold 49% for failing to quote an ABN. That obligation exists solely for ABN holders. You could rely on the INVOICE for deductibility. If you were to be audited the tradie would also find ATO checking their failure to comply and may have issues arising. The ATO takes a "head to tail" audit approach to GST etc....They audit your expenses and then check your tradies for the income etc. and their compliance and expenses. And on it goes.

Back