Plumbing doesn't meet Sydney Water requirements

Hi all,
we've got a copy of a contract for a strata unit we're keen on as our first PPOR but the last page is a "sewerage service diagram" with a big sticker/stamp on it saying:
"Plumbing and/or Drainage found completed without inspection and does not meet Sydney Water's requirements".
Building is about 8 years old.

Is this a common thing for apartment blocks? What are the potential implications?

Cheers,
Tony.

Is this a common thing for apartment blocks?
No, not common. I buy a lot of units and I've never come across this before.

What are the potential implications?
After 8 years - probably not a lot.

It sounds like, given that they said: found completed without inspection the plumber/builder did everything but forgot to organise an inspection part way through (as is required before they bury it all) and then remembered right at the end of the construction.

This does not mean it was done right (or wrong for that matter), just that Syd Water was not signing off on it, that it was all OK when they could not see it.

If you are concerned, seek advice from the Strata Management Company - they are noted at the bottom of the front page of the contract in the text box. You (or your solicitor) should have arranged a strata search company to look at this company's records in any event. Mention of it may also be in there - albeit from 8 years ago - or more recently if it is proving to be an issue.

In addition the above, either you or your solicitor should call Dept of Fair Trading NSW (as they are responsible for sewer service diagrams).

The plumber just saved himself a fee by not finalising the registration.

Check that the outline of the property is as built to confirm that it is the latest property.

james0360: Normally when a plan is marked as above it means that one of Sydney Water's plumbing and drainage inspectors at the time would have inspected the works and noticed a defect on the private line making the plumbing not to standard.

Works to rectify would be required. Sydney Water would normally not do anything but if an issue arises due to the defect any issues will be dealt with the Department of Fair Trading who are normally slow and tedious.

Find out what the what is required and the cost; It may only be minor or a case that the works were completed but no one updated the plans.

I will inquire with Fair Trading tomorrow. These are bunch of townhouses around 13 years old. So not sure if it is a case of work that is not updated.

Fair Trading said I need to get it inspected though their licensed plumbers. I cant do it, as I am not the owner. Strata doesn’t know anything about this. Looks like current owners are not aware of this. There are around 30 units which are not compliant. Dont see how this can happen in Sydney!

Back