Plumbing Problem - Septic System

Are they 'folders' or 'scrunchers'?

Sensitive new age 'folders' are so tree huggingly paper conscious they would only use three sqaures per wipe and most definitely wouldn't use half a roll per dump, but to counter this argument they are also less inclined to flush for fear of the dugongs not having enough water to survive the next five years, so they give a timid little one third cistern flush....the little button.

Olde world 'scrunchers' like me love to use a really good wad of extra luscious, 4 ply, super thick, non-recycled paper (so the fingers don't tear through); so there is some potential for pipe blockage (pun intended).....however, because we couldn't give a fat rats clacker about dugongs or their dietry requirements we tend to give one or two thumping flushes with the big button.

Sorry Minx, no clear cut answer on this one from me.

The Science of Sewage and The Engineering of Sewerage....what a book title.

Cheers,

Ian.

Thanks for asking Battler.

It's still a work in progress but here is an update for you.

I've received a report from plumber 1 detailing work completed and what he considers the cause of the problem. (too much paper).
I've received confirmation from plumber 2
I've commissioned a report from a builder which agrees with plumbers 1 and 2.

This has been forwarded to the tenants, but I haven't heard anything yet.

PM was given notice yesterday - just too sympathetic to tenants - and I'll place the lot in the hands of new management company with instructions on what the tenant has been advised and how they are to handle any further situations.

I'll update if I hear anything further.

All the best.

Currently I am a Apprentice Plumber and I must say I have seen this alot. We have done countless sewer chokes, only to find that its toilet paper causing the issue. It amazes me how much head of water it can hold back!

Teaching the tenants how to use a plunger is a good idea. Maybe also suggest flushing the toilet on every use, surely they don't mind using the extra water - it's better than sewerage coming from the gully! :rolleyes:

Teaching the tenants how to use a plunger is a good idea. Maybe also suggest flushing the toilet on every use, surely they don't mind using the extra water - it's better than sewerage coming from the gully! :rolleyes:

No Andrew, I don't understand this either. They have been told several times that they are the cause of the problem, but as they haven't had to pay for their actions why bother to change? Now they will so we'll see what will happen.

I can't think why you wouldn't flush after each use? There are only two of them in the house, it would make a negligible difference to their water consumption.

Last edited:
I can't think why you wouldn't flush after each use? There are only two of them in the house, it would make a negligible difference to their water consumption.

Yep, I agree. There are some things that are nice to be shared in a marriage, but looking down at your partner's pee just isnt one of them! Or worse I guess!:(

My grand-parents would do this to save water (If its brown, flush it down! :rolleyes:). They must think they save a huge amount of water by not flushing, when realistically it's only a few litres!

If this problem happens again on another property and the line is blocked, get a plumber with CCTV equipment to check it out from downstream - Usually around $200 for the hour. This way you would be looking at what is causing the blockage.

Good luck with it all anyway, make sure you highlight the 'excessive toilet paper' and 'toilet not being flushed regularly' on the plumbers report!!!

Being on rainwater only and saving water in buckets to flush the loo with (it didn't rain for ages - you just do it) we were using about the same on showers as the toilet. It adds up.

Flushing with a bucket is bad though, the water doesn't go around the pan the same way and the toilet gets dirtier much faster. We've got a new dual flush water miser loo in there as of tomorrow (had an older style, large cistern on with the old pan and you can't fit real water miser cisterns on old pans) and a new 9000L tank, so the days of buckets on that house should be long gone.

My grand-parents would do this to save water (If its brown, flush it down! :rolleyes:). They must think they save a huge amount of water by not flushing, when realistically it's only a few litres!

If this problem happens again on another property and the line is blocked, get a plumber with CCTV equipment to check it out from downstream - Usually around $200 for the hour. This way you would be looking at what is causing the blockage.

Good luck with it all anyway, make sure you highlight the 'excessive toilet paper' and 'toilet not being flushed regularly' on the plumbers report!!!

Thank you Andrew,

Your advice is much appreciated.

I will never, EVER buy another property not on deep sewer.

We have lived in our current PPOR since 1984. I have never once called a plumber for a blockage or toilet problem. The only time we had a problem was when our son stuffed two entire toilet rolls down the toilet (he was about 3 and just did things like that). We fished out what we could and then shoved the hose down the loo and gave it a blast. All gone in seconds.

The difference being we were young, broke and didn't dare call a plumber in case we couldn't pay the bill. :eek:

Our tenants just have to make a telephone call to the PM... :mad:

Septic Systems aren't all that bad. They generally work great and are maintenance free, you just have to watch out what you use to clean toilets/sinks and showers. We have found that problems usually occur because of the pipe work connecting the outlets.

I know this is a bit off the subject, but I must say. When you are buying a IP, be wary of where the sewer line runs and what is around it. Tree roots can cause major damage and major costs, unforseen costs! I work for a relining company (www.a1adt.com.au) and the cost of fixing sewer lines under concrete slabs can be quite $$$. So just watch out for large trees in the vicinity of sewer lines, if the plumbing has been carried out correctly when being built then most times it will be fine.

Just some food for though!

Septic Systems aren't all that bad. They generally work great and are maintenance free, you just have to watch out what you use to clean toilets/sinks and showers. We have found that problems usually occur because of the pipe work connecting the outlets.

I know this is a bit off the subject, but I must say. When you are buying a IP, be wary of where the sewer line runs and what is around it. Tree roots can cause major damage and major costs, unforseen costs! I work for a relining company (www.a1adt.com.au) and the cost of fixing sewer lines under concrete slabs can be quite $$$. So just watch out for large trees in the vicinity of sewer lines, if the plumbing has been carried out correctly when being built then most times it will be fine.

Just some food for though!
Welcome to the fourm..willair..

Thought of this thread last night while watching ABC The Inventors program.

Couple of Guy's have invented a device to overcome new water saving cisterns with low water usage that block the pipes.

Think it was called a wave drain.

It uses gray water from shower or hand basin that fills this new box which
is located near the toilet drain, the gray water empties into it and when the
toilet is flushed it also empties into this pit which then releases approx 9
litres of gray water all at once which is enough water to flush the ships away.

You might be able to search ABC for it.

Was just yakking to the neighbour over the fence. He's just moved into his house after just fixing it up on weekends for ages - its one of those houses that needs vast and immense amounts of work.

He said his drains were all blocked up, he was using a portaloo inside because his toilet wasn't working.

Went digging around outside, found out the ground was soaked and found the problem - there was a 1 foot gap between the pipe going out of the house and the pipe going into the septic tank :eek: So water was kind of seeping into the septic tank but the 'bigger' stuff was getting stuck in the gap.

Talk about shoddy workmanship!

You would not believe what we see some days. If the gap was 1 foot then it is definitly been done by a shoddy tradesmen. On the other hand though, we have seen gaps of about 150mm where the pipes have literally pulled apart due to ground movement!

Nothing worse then sewerage all over the ground! A good way to tell whether you have a sewerage problem, whether it be roots or pipes pulled apart, is you might notice a nice lush green lawn in one spot or a tree that is flourishing amoungst others closeby that look dead! You can be your bottom dollar that tree has found something the others havent ;).

By the way Minxdamanx, I had a thought the other day and forgot to write it up. On alot of cisterns, you can usually increase the volume of water held for flushing. On a new dual flush system, you have a standard 6L Full and 3L Half flush whereas the old ones used to be 11L's! That might be something to look into, it might not be possible on the model thats in the house but check it out.

Back